PDA

View Full Version : Buying old bike frame advice needed

paulrad9
08-17-2009, 04:47 PM
I need to build up another bike and plan on using old components I have laying around the shop- wheels, crank, shifters, brakes, seat, etc. Only items I need are frame/fork, seat tube and stem. I've been poking around Craislist/ebay for the same.

Are there any pitfalls to watch when buying a older frame? Since my wheels are 130 mm, anything with 126mm spread should be an easy upgrade. What about bottom brackets - will a frame from the 70-90s use same 68mm English threads?

Cheers,

Paul

Marcusaurelius
08-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Well the italian stuff (colnago, merckx, derosa etc.) all use italian threaded bottom brackets.

I always check for rust and it's only important if it's more than just surface rust.

Of course it's always nice if the frame is staight.

JD Smith
08-18-2009, 02:01 AM
I need to build up another bike and plan on using old components I have laying around the shop- wheels, crank, shifters, brakes, seat, etc. Only items I need are frame/fork, seat tube and stem. I've been poking around Craislist/ebay for the same.

Are there any pitfalls to watch when buying a older frame? Since my wheels are 130 mm, anything with 126mm spread should be an easy upgrade. What about bottom brackets - will a frame from the 70-90s use same 68mm English threads?

Cheers,

Paul

I don't think you'll have a problem finding a high quality 130mm frame. Spreading can be done, but I think if the frame was well designed with a certain dropout span, that particular width was part of that design, the its intended ride quality. I'd imagine spreading dropouts change this, possibly making it stiffer, stressing chain and set stay bridges, and forcing you to realign the dropouts to parallel.
68mm English is probably the most common bb shell and Phil Wood square taper and modern outboard bottom brackets fit.
1" threaded forks are a bit tough to come by, so you're better off choosing a frame set complete with fork, and preferably, a fork with plenty of steerer, opening up your options for headsets with different stack heights.