PDA

View Full Version : OT: tree removal

vqdriver
08-17-2009, 12:46 PM
for various reasons, we have to remove a eucalyptus tree that stands about 75 feet tall. i'm talking complete removal with stump grinding, but roots will remain.

any ideas on what that kind of work would cost?

the tree is in an open area which is easy to access by foot but is on a raised yard that will not allow access to a crane so work up hi would have to be done by a climber and debris hauled about 50 yards by ground crew to the chipper.

any ballpark figure is fine. just want to know what i'm in for.

thanks.

dave thompson
08-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Any chance that the tree could be felled in the traditional manner, then cut up and disposed of? That would also require a skilled tree guy but it would be less expensive than having a tree-topper crew come out and work from the top down.

Your Eucalyptus sounds like you live in southern California. I don't know about the going rate for tree removal and stump grinding there but up here in the Pacific Northwest there are gypo loggers (free-lance guys with their own equipment) that would charge about $350~$500, depending on the difficulty and how careful of the landscaping/flowers/shrubbery they have to be, to take down a 75 foot tall Ponderosa Pine and dispose of it and grind the stump.

I'd suggest you call more than a few tree services and ask for firm bids. You might also ask around at equipment sales and rental stores if they might know someone who could do the job for you.

Ken Robb
08-17-2009, 01:27 PM
because of the risky nature of the job if there is ANY chance the tree of parts thereof can fall on anything of value be sure the people you hire have liability insurance that will cover you.

vqdriver
08-17-2009, 01:39 PM
definitely would only hire licensed and insured legit company for something like this.

350-500 sounds pretty low, even for someone doing it on the side.

Hardlyrob
08-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Tree removal around here is really expensive - insurance worker's comp etc. all add a lot. I would expect north of $1,500 around here for a job like that. Typically the roots aren't removed, and I bet a tree company will say they can't / won't. Best bet would be to hire an excavator to dig them out and re-grade the area.

Good luck

Rob

Climb01742
08-17-2009, 02:08 PM
i would think about leaving roots in. about a year ago, we removed about 10 pines trees and did stump grinding. about a month ago, we tried to plant some small shrubs near where trees had been. big headache. roots made digging any real holes back-breakingly impossible. had to pay a guy with a small backhoe to remove roots. if you ever ever might try to plant anything near where the tree is now, remember the old castroil ad: you can pay me now, or pay me later. roots are a b!tch, and go out and down much farther than you'd ever imagine.

armagh
08-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Tree removal around here is really expensive - insurance worker's comp etc. all add a lot. I would expect north of $1,500 around here for a job like that. Typically the roots aren't removed, and I bet a tree company will say they can't / won't. Best bet would be to hire an excavator to dig them out and re-grade the area.

Good luck

Rob

Based on per$onal experiences during the last two hurricane seasons, more like this. Also, make sure whoever you hire has current liability and wk. comp. and make them show you the dated annual policy. Fly-by-nighters sometimes pull a policy in the a.m. to show you, then cancel it before the job starts, leaving you vulnerable if some one gets hurt.

67-59
08-17-2009, 02:52 PM
In my experience, costs for services like this can vary dramatically based on where you live.

I lived on the east coast and needed one medium-sized tree removed. It was a fairly simple, routine job (as stated by the tree-removal guys), and cost me about $1,500.

A year later I moved to the midwest, and had three trees tipped onto my garage by straight-line winds. Each of the three was larger than the one mentioned earlier. And this storm knocked down trees all around the area, so the tree services were all very busy cleaning up after this storm, and of course charging premiums. We talked them into moving us up their list, because we were worried about the garage collapsing. Total cost was under $1,000.

You'll probably get the best estimates by being very clear about where you're located....

vqdriver
08-17-2009, 02:56 PM
i'm in pasadena, ca just outside los angeles.

William
08-17-2009, 03:25 PM
Wow! I feel lucky.

We had a 35 - 40 foot pear tree removed last year. The thing was way over grown, with disease, lightning damage some time in it's past, some concrete poured in the center, and too close to the house and shop barn. The town tree warden who owns his own tree service company came in with a crew, cut down from the top with a cherry picker, smaller branches went into the chipper, bigger pieces cut up and removed, and the stump ground down for $500. Sounds like I got a deal and they did a great job.

William

rwsaunders
08-17-2009, 04:12 PM
I knew an experienced (15 years) tree removal crew foreman, who fell 10'-12' while felling a tree....his safety belt was damaged it turned out. He landed on his back and died the next day.

Make sure that you hire a professional and experienced firm and that you are named as additional insured on their insurance certificate. Having evidence of insurance doesn't fully protect you in the event of a catastrophe such as a wrongful death lawsuit.

vqdriver
08-17-2009, 04:38 PM
ok, so estimates are in.
lowest so far is 3300 and goes as hi as 4500.

wow.

Kines
08-18-2009, 09:38 AM
As stated, region of the country has a lot to do with it, and I've heard rumors that SoCal is an expensive place to live, lol. Moments ago, a tree service left my house with an estimate to remove two large birch trees from the front yard, grind the stumps, and then remove a huge branch from an oak that is arching over my two story house (which he said is a much bigger job than the two briches), all for $800. And yes, they are insured.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help.

KN

XTC
08-18-2009, 01:24 PM
and then in 10 years when the roots rot away you will have a large dip in your lawn.... ask me how I know

JeffS
08-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Recent quotes for an oak of ours ran between 1200 and 1900. Proposed methods of removal varied, but it could not be simply dropped.

sjbraun
08-18-2009, 08:11 PM
I had to have a eucalyptus tree removed a few years ago. It was at least 75 feet tall. I think the bill came close to $4k.

I wasn't happy, but that was the best quote I could find.

I would recommend the most professional outfit yoan find. Eucalyptii are difficult to remove and you want to avoid the problems I encountered.

vqdriver
08-18-2009, 08:57 PM
what'd you run into??

BengeBoy
08-18-2009, 09:00 PM
At least $1500.

Matthew
08-19-2009, 08:31 AM
Just had two tall pine trees land on our house just over a week ago from bad storms. Another tree landed in our yard after first hitting our deck. Because we live on a slight hill and they could not get trucks behind our house they had to bring in a crane to remove the two on our house. Total bill to the insurance company was $5500. Had an estimate to remove the two that are still standing: $1000-$1200 and none of these had the stumps ground or roots removed. Very expensive process. Matthew.