PDA

View Full Version : Running Campy QS Front Del. with Non-QS Brifters with Problems

GuyGadois
08-16-2009, 05:31 PM
My setup - QS Record Front. Daytona 10 Speed Non-QS Brifter. Record rear medium cage.

The problem happens when I am in the big chainring and the high gears. I shift the front to the small ring from the big ring and it almost always dumps the chain inwards. This only happens on the high gears (21 and 23). I understand QS and non-QS are compatible so I am not sure what is going on here. It shifts fine with other rear combos.

Thanks,

-GG-

Dave
08-17-2009, 09:39 AM
It's got nothing to do with the shifter, since QS does nothing but reduce the dead travel in the left finger lever.

There are two ways to route the shift cable. The cable can be routed over the left side of the small metal tab on the lever arm and then under the head of the clamp bolt, or between the tab and clamp bolt. The later is what I've always done and it works fine, but I suspect that the first method is what Campy intends.

The only other obvious things to check are the clearance between the cage and big ring (1-2mm) and the low limit screw position, making sure that it barely keeps the chain from rubbing the cage in the little ring and largest cog.

I had on bike with a similar problem, but it was a triple. It would always drop the chain if shifted to the little ring from the next to largest cog. No amount of adjusting would stop the problem. I blamed it on the exceptionally short 399mm chainstays. I've never had this type of problem with fram having stays of 406-407mm. I didn't like the frame (Cervelo R3) and sold it after only a few rides.