PDA

View Full Version : OT: I'm sure this is legit...

William
08-16-2009, 02:30 PM
Latest fishing scam to cross my desk....

Attention: Webmail Email User

WE are upgrading our Database Server from the old
Server (Nol06717) to a new and better Server (No221766).
We are doing our best to serve you better.

You are to fill the details below to enable us upgrade and
verify your account from the old server.

FILL THE DETAILS BELOW OR ANYWHERE IN THE MAIL

Username:
Password:
Date Of Birth:
Address:

To complete your Webmail account, you must reply to this email address
with the above details:
upgradingtoday01@gmail.com

Attention!!! Account owners who do not update his or her account
immediately you receive this Notification will have problems using our
online facilities effectively.

Notification Code: CX1H53KLJ

The "Webmail" Upgrade Team

Thanks for your co-operation.
Copyright @2009. All rights reserved.

dvs cycles
08-16-2009, 06:09 PM
What's really scarey is how many people will actually respond to crap like that.

zray67
08-16-2009, 07:43 PM
What's really scarey is how many people will actually respond to crap like that.

It is a numbers game. If, you sent out 100,000 mailings. A 1% response gives you a 1000 people/returns. People aren't stupid or lazy. They could be in a hurry, or under pressure from other events in their lives, etc. Those are just some of the reasons scams work. People are human. I was in the computer field. I knew/know a great deal about computer scams. And yet, I "innocently" sent $2,000 to a scam artist and lost it all.
I was pissed but every now and then I need a lesson in humility. I am always sorry that such lessons have to be so painful and so expensive. But, those "lessons" do serve the purpose of keeping my egocentricity in check.

BumbleBeeDave
08-16-2009, 08:38 PM
. . . claiming to be from Earthlink support (my IP). The standard stuff . . . "send us this info to keep your account current" and then they want you user name and password.

What scares me more than how they got my e-mail address is that I can't seem to find any way to report this to Earthlink. When I try to e-mail what's supposed to bbe the public e-mail address listed for their support, I get a message indicating it's a list serve and I'm not part of the list.

BBD

Dekonick
08-16-2009, 11:39 PM
Is this item still available? My brother is in need of just such item. If you please, send me your paypal account and I send payment in full. Please respond fast as the need is urgent...

Geez! Scams everywhere.

William, you shoudl agree to meet some of these bastards and show then what an 'item' (ie stick) is used for!

:crap: :beer: :bike: :fight: :butt:

William
08-17-2009, 04:26 AM
Apparently they are making the rounds. This one turned up on my Hotmail account. Hmmm, I'm supposed to respond to an address at live.com. Wouldn't the "Windows Team" for Hotmail use a Hotmail account??? Oh well, let's see....

User name....******
Password: *********_****

William :rolleyes: Have sticks, blades, firearms, and Silly Putty - Will travel. :D

Dear Account User

CONFIRM YOUR WINDOWS LIVE ACCOUNT SERVICES. VERIFY YOUR HOTMAIL ACCOUNT NOW !!!

This Email is from Hotmail Customer Care and we are sending it to every Hotmail Email User Accounts Owner for safety. we are having congestions due to the anonymous registration of Hotmail accounts so we are shutting down some Hotmail accounts and your account was among those to be deleted. We are sending this email to you so that you can verify and let us know if you still want to use this account. If you are still interested please confirm your account by filling the space below.Your User name, password, date of birth and your country information would be needed to verify your account.

Confirm your E-mail by filling out your Login Information below after clicking the reply button, or your account will be suspended within 24 hours for security reasons.

* Username: ..............................
* Password: ................................
* Date of Birth: ............................
* Country Or Territory: .................

After following the instructions in the sheet, your account will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Thanks for your attention to this request. We apologize for any inconveniences.

Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his/her account after two weeks of receiving this warning will lose his or her account permanently.
Sincerely,
The Windows Live Hotmail Team