PDA

View Full Version : Campy shifter or derailleur problem?

Matt-H
08-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Appreciate any help from the Campy fans here!
Upon heading out for a sauna ride today, I realized my rear Daytona thumb shifter was not clicking as it usually does. Although it still shifts, there is no discernible "clunk" that I have shifted. Consequently, I was often unintentionally sweeping a couple of gears at a time as I am a bit rusty on friction shifters.

Also, the paddle shifter seemed easier to sweep, as if there was not the resistance I am used to feeling.

So, is something wrong with the shifter or did I lose something (a spring?) in the rear derailleur?

Thanks!

maunahaole
08-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Probably rebuild time. Put a little and I mean very little drop of oil on the pivot of the thumb button and work it around, that may help, but chances are it is time for new g springs and maybe an index wheel too.

John M
08-16-2009, 06:46 PM
It is the shifter. Probably worn G spring or possibly the indexing gear is worn. You can get rebuild parts (and advice) from a reputable campy supporting LBS or online from Branford bike, yellow jersey, vecchio's and others

MilanoTom
08-16-2009, 07:28 PM
It is the shifter. Probably worn G spring or possibly the indexing gear is worn. You can get rebuild parts (and advice) from a reputable campy supporting LBS or online from Branford bike, yellow jersey, vecchio's and others

+1 - Daytona hasn't been made in a few years, so you're probably overdue for a rebuild.

I've done a rebuild, but it wasn't fun, and I had a pro looking over my shoulder to make sure I didn't screw it up. Unless you have plenty of time and patience, you might want to consider letting a local shop do it. Ask around - if one of them has a Campy guru, it might not cost that much.

Regards,
Tom

PS - As info, the new Ultra Shift levers have no G springs. According to a Campy rep at the Park Tool Tech Summit in January, they should never need a rebuild.

Matt-H
08-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Thanks all! Looks like a rebuild is in the Fina's future... :beer:

-dustin
08-17-2009, 12:10 AM
my money is on the spring carrier being cracked.