PDA

View Full Version : De Rosa Neo Pro in Steel...

fourflys
08-13-2009, 03:15 PM
So, I did a search and didn't come up with much...

It looks like I sold my Rivendell, so I went by the LBS today an came across a mid to late 90s Neo Pro in steel with the chrome De Rosa fork. From what I can tell, it's made of Genius EL tubing. The geometry is advertised as 52x54. I can't find anything on the net about these frames...

Would I be crazy to pass this up for less than $500?

Thanks,
Chris

tsarpepe
08-13-2009, 04:33 PM
I don't know about the bike and the price, but I've heard that the Genius EL is pretty fragile stuff. You better not be over 200lbs!

Steve in SLO
08-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Chris,
They're great riding frames. Generally considered one of the great non-custom frames around. If the price is good and it fits, it is worth a tryout. A Google search should net you LOADS of info.

dannyg1
08-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Buy it. That's an $800 minimum frame. Probably $1400 is closer to true price.

Ken Robb
08-13-2009, 05:54 PM
I don't know about the bike and the price, but I've heard that the Genius EL is pretty fragile stuff. You better not be over 200lbs!

imagining someone who rides a 52cm frame and weighs over 200 lbs. is an interesting mental picture. :)

fourflys
08-13-2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks all...

BTW- I'm currently around 185#, hoping drop about 10#....

Minstrie
08-13-2009, 07:06 PM
Man, buy that thing. Use it as motivation to get to 175, and if you don't, ebay it or put it on classifieds here for $1000.

Minstrie.

Marcusaurelius
08-14-2009, 08:24 AM
I could be wrong but I believe the older Neo Primato had Genius EL tubeset so Neo Pro could be the precursor to the Neo Primato. As several have already said it's not a frame for heavy riders there was always the Columbus Max for that and EL OS for most others. Genius EL was for light riders.

lemonlaug
08-14-2009, 09:29 AM
imagining someone who rides a 52cm frame and weighs over 200 lbs. is an interesting mental picture. :)

Like a playing card stuck in an orange?

fourflys
08-14-2009, 09:50 AM
I could be wrong but I believe the older Neo Primato had Genius EL tubeset so Neo Pro could be the precursor to the Neo Primato. As several have already said it's not a frame for heavy riders there was always the Columbus Max for that and EL OS for most others. Genius EL was for light riders.

The only thing I could find on the net was that in '96/'97 there were both a a Primato and a Neo Pro.... Surprisingly, I couldn't find much on the steel neo pro...

cmg
08-14-2009, 10:09 AM
buy it. if it doesn't work you could probably recoup the cost. to maybe one of those 200lbs riders.................

fourflys
08-14-2009, 02:26 PM
So, here is my dilemma...

It looks like I have the chance to pick a 2000ish Concours Ti fitted out with 10sp Chorus, Krysiums SL, etc for $1600...

actually turns out it's this one:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=62682&highlight=concours (http://)

decisions, decisions...

Ken Robb
08-14-2009, 04:05 PM
that would be a great buy on a wonderful bike if the fit is good for you.

fourflys
08-14-2009, 04:14 PM
that would be a great buy on a wonderful bike if the fit is good for you.

I'm thinking that may be the way to go since it's a complete package and I'm not sure about the tubing on the De Rosa... it seems like I'm right on the edge of the weight limit...

Now, I just have to wait for the money from the Rivendell sale... :)

Dustin
08-14-2009, 04:56 PM
Did you just sell your Bleriot? And are you coming to the Riv-Ride this Sunday?

fourflys
08-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Dustin,
I'm waiting for the check for the Bleriot, not sure if I can make Sunday but I'm going to try.
Chris

Ken Robb
08-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Did you just sell your Bleriot? And are you coming to the Riv-Ride this Sunday?

Riv Ride?? Do tell.

Dustin
08-14-2009, 07:59 PM
Riv Ride?? Do tell.

We've been doing these roughly every month and alternate between San Diego and Orange & Riverside counties. The pace tends to be VERY social, with food and beer at the end. I try to plan them as recovery rides because if you come ready to hammer, you will be frustrated. With that caveat, these rides tend to be a lot of fun, and are are welcome.

Here is the announcement for the Sunday ride:

So, this Sunday, there will be a meeting of the Southern California
Rivendell Bicycle Appreciation Society and we'll do a mostly flat 45
mile city ride that will look mostly like this:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Tour-de-San-Diego-Riv-Ride

9:30ish arrive, 10am depart - Santa Fe Train Depot in Downtown San
Diego - plenty of street parking on Sunday - no meter enforcement).
We'll meet at the front of the building, where you'll see the nice
bikes:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25671211@N02/3478152521/sizes/l/in/set72157604736650031

We will begin at the Santa Fe Depot Downtown, riding up to the San
Diego River (with a possible Ballast Point brewery stop for a 4 oz
taster), then up the river trail to Ocean Beach, along the famous and
lovely Sunset Cliffs, and then to our only sustained short, steep
climb/push up and over Point Loma via Point Loma Nazerene College, and
then to the end of Point Loma near the Cabrillo National Monument.
Then down to the harbor, which we'll hug all the way down to Imperial
Beach near the U.S. Mexico border and up the Silver Strand to
Coronado, where Gyros and beer are available before taking a short
$3.25 ferry back to the city.

From the top of Point Loma, we'll be able to survey the entire route
and all the way down to Mexico (if its clear), and see the natural
harbor Juan Rodribuez Cabrillo described as a "very good enclosed
port" in 1542.

fourflys
08-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Riv Ride?? Do tell.

Ken,
I know I sent you a pm a while back about these rides.... must be the 60 years! :D

KJMUNC
08-15-2009, 06:34 PM
[QUOTE=fourflys]I'm thinking that may be the way to go since it's a complete package and I'm not sure about the tubing on the De Rosa... it seems like I'm right on the edge of the weight limit...QUOTE]

I am 185 and rode a Primato with no problems. Yes the tubing is thin and you can ding it relatively easily, but as long as you take care of your gear it shouldn't be a prob. It's certainly not going to buckle or fall out from underneath you.

All Primato and Neo-Primato (that's Italian for new) are made from steel. Tubing is Columbus EL/OS, which was the pinnacle for lightweight tubing in it's day. If you have any doubts on it's provenance there are several tell-tale signs of a vintage Primato: diamond shaped chain stays (often accompanied by a "Diamante" decal, significant webbing around the bottom bracket cluster, and usually a flat-crowned fork stamped with the DeRosa logo.

I paid almost twice that amount from another forumite and though myself lucky. They are rare frames and many say they are one of the finest riding framesets around. Mine only got replaced as I had to choose between it and a Colnago C50 and I wanted something new to offset my old steel MX Leader.

If it fits you won't regret the purchase.....and if not, you should broadcast the name/location of the shop as I'd bet someone here snaps it up that day.