PDA

View Full Version : Easton EC90SL tire clearance

JD Smith
08-13-2009, 01:03 PM
The tires I run are 27 mm wide, as measured. This makes for a very tight fit in a Kestrel EMS Ti fork, just barely enough room. I'd like to put an Easton EC90SL fork on another bike, using these same tires. Does anyone know what kind of clearance this fork has? Examples of the tires you run and the side to side clearance would be appreciated.

bfd
08-13-2009, 07:15 PM
I have a Calfee with an old 1" Kestrel EMS fork on my bike and run 700x25 tires with no problem. A couple of years ago, I was considering a replacement and tried both the Easton EC90SL and a True Temper Sub 3, both new in the box. Neither of them fit a 25mm wide tire.

However, I also tried a new Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork and a 25mm wide tire fit! I recommend contacting Easton to see whether they think a 27mm wide tire would fit under one of their forks. Good Luck!

jvp
08-13-2009, 07:23 PM
I thought this was a tire sale lol.

Ti Designs
08-13-2009, 07:40 PM
I run a Serotta La Corsa with a Reynolds Ouzo Pro, and I was thinking about doing the D2R2, so I wanted to see how much tire I could fit in there. I settled on the Panaracer Messenger tires for the tread, and started with a 25 which wasn't much of a challenge to fit. I then tried the 28's, and it was a bit of a struggle to get the tire past the brake pads, but it turns out they fit too! It looks kinda stupid, like a Honda Civic with tractor tires, and it's almost fastproof, but it works!

JD Smith
08-13-2009, 09:53 PM
I have a Calfee with an old 1" Kestrel EMS fork on my bike and run 700x25 tires with no problem. A couple of years ago, I was considering a replacement and tried both the Easton EC90SL and a True Temper Sub 3, both new in the box. Neither of them fit a 25mm wide tire.

However, I also tried a new Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork and a 25mm wide tire fit! I recommend contacting Easton to see whether they think a 27mm wide tire would fit under one of their forks. Good Luck!

That's not encouraging news. The tires I run just barely fit on the EMS. Back in 2000, I got an Ouzo Pro when they first came out, and it did fit these exact tires. I sold the bike long ago. New 1" Ouzo Pro forks are very rare and expensive. I had a chance to bid on a new Easton fork on an Ebay auction ending today. I won the auction and got the fork for about $60 cheaper than anywhere else. I'll have to hope.

R2D2
08-14-2009, 05:38 AM
I ride some 25 mm Continental Competition tubulars with an Easton SLX.
No problems and nice ride. The chip n' seal buzz disappears.
Hope that helps.............

Tobias
08-14-2009, 06:50 AM
I'd like to put an Easton EC90SL fork on another bike, using these same tires.I'd try a search, this same subject may have come up before if I recall.

Vancouverdave
08-14-2009, 12:04 PM
if you want to use 25/28c tires and are shopping for a carbon fork, what about Wound UP forks? Their design with separate blades and crown would have more tire clearance, wouldn't it?