PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a pannier rack for my CX bike

kevintx
08-13-2009, 12:03 PM
I am looking for a rack and pannier for my cross bike. I want to be able to quickly connect and disconnect the bags so I can go grocery shopping or if I want to ride to a local cross race. I'm thinking it should be able to carry 20-30lbs. So far I've looked at some topeak and bontrager. Who else is out there?

fiamme red
08-13-2009, 12:07 PM
I like Tubus racks with Ortlieb panniers. The panniers can be removed or replaced in seconds.

Ken Robb
08-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Rivendell usually has some interesting racks that aren't offered in many other places.

paulrad9
08-13-2009, 01:25 PM
I like Tubus racks with Ortlieb panniers.

Same here.

Question - when you said "I want to be able to quickly connect and disconnect the bags so I can go grocery shopping or if I want to ride to a local cross race", did you mean remove the rack a well? If so, you may wan to look at the Tubus QR Adapter

Vancouverdave
08-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Many panniers are quick to remove and reinstall on the rack--Ortliebs are excellent that way as well as being durable and waterproof. Almost all racks that are quick on/quick off have some serious flaws and, take it from an old tourist, racks that mount to the seatpost are worthless garbage that locate luggage weight in the worst possible place. I'd look at Nitto, Tubus, and Velo Orange for racks, as well as considering a Carradice big seat bag. Carradice has a quick release system of their own. Their seat bags place weight close to the greatest mass of weight in your body; it doesn't affect the bike's handling as bad as some other placements.

RaleighComp
08-13-2009, 02:04 PM
I have two of these (http://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/utility/overview.asp) , but *rarely* need to carry more than one. They are easily good for 30 lbs per side. As for racks, I covet the Tubus, but I get by no problem with Blackburn Expedition and Blackburn Mountain racks.

And you just can't beat Arkel's warranty:

If you ask us, a guarantee is like a sacred promise. It’s that simple. And we’re not crazy enough to give you a guarantee we can’t uphold!!! We guarantee something and we stick to it. In black and white it sounds like that: lifetime, transferable, no receipt needed guarantee on the workmanship (meaning the product has no inherent defect to it), stitching (meaning NO stitching will ever rip), aluminum hooks, locking swivels, nuts and screws, plus the inner stiffening backplate. When you think about it, it covers about everything. None of these pieces will ever break. And if one should, you can be sure that we’ll replace it!!! We don’t know of any other company building such strong bicycle panniers. Which is good. Because at Arkel, that's who we are and all we do.

kevintx
08-13-2009, 09:27 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the replies, thats just the info I needed. I wont need them for a few more months as its been in the hundreds every day for the past 2 months here in south Texas. But it should be perfect weather for commuting here by mid-october... at least I hope.