PDA

View Full Version : New CSI (new to me) and S&S

Dekonick
08-12-2009, 09:12 PM
WOW - she is a beauty.

This was the 56 midnight blue fade sold in the forums last week - and I couldn't be happier. I am surprised at how much it feels and looks like my 1992 Colorado CR - minus the horizontal dropouts
SO - the question begs - if you were me... would you have S&S couplers put in the CR or the CSI?

Right now, I am thinking the CR will get the retrofit...except it has internal cable routing...

What do yall think? One is getting cut...

rounder
08-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Well...since no one responded...my vote is to not cut either one. Both bikes sound nice. I would vote for getting a lesser bike and putting couplers on that, unless you really do a lot of traveling and need a nice bike to carry knowing that it will probably be beat up along the way.

Dekonick
08-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Thats why I am leaning toward the CR...

except it has the internal routing...

as far as beating the bike up - I would take it with me in my car - I just need the room and it means either breaking down the bike or (easier option) using S&S.

Ever try to travel with a bike when you have the family? Wife, 2 kids, and the dog...the bike needs to take less room...

cody.wms
08-12-2009, 10:17 PM
Im sure Bilenky, or whoever retrofits it, could braze some cable stops on it, although it would look a touch weird with both.

Does either one need a repaint? Could be a good time to chop and do a full repaint at the same time.

chakatrain
08-13-2009, 12:59 AM
I had my '96 CSI chopped by the good folks at Bilenky, took it to the Dolomites and it rode as sweet as ever. Great decision, but everyone is different, so ymmv.

martinrjensen
08-13-2009, 02:24 PM
So you had couplers put in it? Did the feel of the bike change any? I've been thinking of doing that to one of my bikes, the CSI actually. There is a local shop here in Seattle that could do it, Rodriquez cycles.
I had my '96 CSI chopped by the good folks at Bilenky, took it to the Dolomites and it rode as sweet as ever. Great decision, but everyone is different, so ymmv.

Smiley
08-13-2009, 03:14 PM
cut the CR and have them route the cables outside since you need acess to the brake splitter.

572cv
08-13-2009, 09:53 PM
If you have Bilenky do the work you have an extremely high probability that you will notice zero difference in ride, so.... install the couplers on the bike you like to ride the most. It is a decision I have not regretted on my Fierte Ti. Great way to travel, and I use it regularly all season.

chakatrain
08-14-2009, 01:09 AM
So you had couplers put in it? Did the feel of the bike change any? I've been thinking of doing that to one of my bikes, the CSI actually. There is a local shop here in Seattle that could do it, Rodriquez cycles.

Honestly, it doesn't change the ride characteristics as far as I can tell. The open pro wheels, 32 spokes, on white industries hubs probably changes the ride (for the better) more than the couplers. They do add about 1/2 pound, if that sort of things matters.

If you have Bilenky do the work you have an extremely high probability that you will notice zero difference in ride, so.... install the couplers on the bike you like to ride the most..

I wringed my hands in the spring about whether to cut the wonderful CSI frame, but finally decided, like the above quote, to couple the bike I like to ride...and didn't regret it for a second, but that's just me.

93legendti
08-14-2009, 03:26 PM
...I wringed my hands in the spring about whether to cut the wonderful CSI frame, but finally decided, like the above quote, to couple the bike I like to ride...and didn't regret it for a second, but that's just me.

That's what I would do.

chakatrain
08-14-2009, 05:29 PM
...<snip>...to couple the bike I like to ride...

Ok, on reading, that sounds sort of...well...let's just say it's a family show, right?

Said a bit better, I decided to simply pick the bike I most liked to ride, and have that retrofit with S&S couplers. I didn't regret my decision at all when riding in Italy. Started a lot of conversations, too.

rugbysecondrow
08-14-2009, 07:06 PM
I just bought a Ritchey Breakaway and since you are only about 5 minutes from my house, you are welcome to ride it to see what you think. There are some pretty good deals out there now for the frames. I bought mine for $899, and that includes the frame, carbon fork, headset and traveling case. That might be a better option then spending $600 to cut up one of your current bikes.

Let me know what you think.

Paul

Dekonick
08-14-2009, 07:32 PM
I just bought a Ritchey Breakaway and since you are only about 5 minutes from my house, you are welcome to ride it to see what you think. There are some pretty good deals out there now for the frames. I bought mine for $899, and that includes the frame, carbon fork, headset and traveling case. That might be a better option then spending $600 to cut up one of your current bikes.

Let me know what you think.

Paul

Ahh - thats true. And a good deal if it includes the case... but I am partial to my CR... plus I think I would end up divorced if I get another bike in the next 6 months...

On the plus side - I did run one mile today! (on the treadmill at the torture chamber... err PT's office...) The ankle is improving! :banana: so soon Ill be calling to go ride...

rugbysecondrow
08-14-2009, 07:36 PM
Ahh - thats true. And a good deal if it includes the case... but I am partial to my CR... plus I think I would end up divorced if I get another bike in the next 6 months...

On the plus side - I did run one mile today! (on the treadmill at the torture chamber... err PT's office...) The ankle is improving! :banana: so soon Ill be calling to go ride...

fine job, let me know when you are ready for a ride. Also, open invite to ride the Ritchey if you just wanted to feel the ride of a travel bike.

Cheers