PDA

View Full Version : Michelin Pro-Race 3 vs. Lithion?

BumbleBeeDave
08-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Anybody ride both? Comparisons? The Lithions sure are cheaper . . .

Thanks for whatever you can tell me.

BBD

pdmtong
08-12-2009, 01:58 PM
No idea about the L's but the PR3's were a %$^#^ to mount. In fact i needed a metal iron to do it. once these wear out it's back to conti 4000's for me. at least there I can use my hands to roll on and off

palincss
08-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Anybody ride both? Comparisons? The Lithions sure are cheaper . . .

Thanks for whatever you can tell me.

BBD

Here's what Michelin has to say about the two:
http://www.michelinbicycletire.com/michelinbicycle/index.cfm?event=lithion.view
http://www.michelinbicycletire.com/michelinbicycle/index.cfm?event=pro3race.view

About the most reliable thing you can gather from the spider-web diagrams is that, as you say, the Lithions are cheaper...

Acotts
08-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Pro Race 3 are true race tires. Expect to flat on any road that has not been swept for debris.

Fo' serious.

Those tires a liability.

Otherwise they are light, sticky and pretty.

JohnHemlock
08-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Pro Race 3 are true race tires. Expect to flat on any road that has not been swept for debris.

Fo' serious.

Those tires a liability.

Otherwise they are light, sticky and pretty.

I ride PR3s everyday in the cityand weigh 235. Didn't flat for almost a year. Then I bragged about how I never flatted, which resulted in my flatting 3 times in 2 weeks. Then went another 4 months without flatting, probably 600 miles a month.

It's a good tire.

Pete Serotta
08-12-2009, 03:20 PM
I have had good luck with Pro Race 3.. They have a more supple ride in my opinion just about up there with my all time favorite Victoria CX

BumbleBeeDave
08-12-2009, 03:40 PM
. . . Open Corsa CX's for quite some time and they are indeed supple. I just got some PR3's for my zebra bike and they do look good, but seem to ride harsher than the CX's. Meanwhile, the CX's on my Serotta are definitely ready for replacement, and I'm wondering if there are any less expensive alternatives to the CX's. Thus my question about the very reasonably priced Lithions. I don't race and would love to save a bit of cash, given my employment situation right now, so I'm open to trying them. I just wondered if anyone else had experience with them vs. the PR3's.

BBD

Acotts
08-12-2009, 03:57 PM
"flatting 3 times in 2 weeks. Then went another 4 months without flatting"

Yeah, I went about 6 months w/o problems until a clubmate said to watchout that PR3's flat all the time. Then I flatted about 5 times in a 2 month period.

I wont touch them now.

And I cant say that I only notice when PR3's are flat on the side of the road. but ever since my experience with them, I see them all the time. I know, its selective reinforcement. But I swear I see them all the time. Especially the ones with the red stripe. Stay away from the Red Stripe!

FYI: I use Conti 4000's to race, Specialized Dillo Elite for all my other road rides, and Giffo Challenges on the cross bike.

I put in good miles as well and rarely flat.

This is all ATMO. And I am pretty quick to give up soft for sturdy.

endosch2
08-12-2009, 04:52 PM
I am a loyal michelin guy and I am on my first set of PR3s with about 500 miles - no flats - so far me likey! I should not say this but I have not had a flat in 5500 miles.

majorpat
08-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Dave,

Michelin Krylion tires seem to be between the two in price, weight, durability, etc. So far, so good for me this summer with them. And, I believe one of the color options has yellow stripes

Pat

palincss
08-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Krylions are the replacement for the Axial Carbon, which also came with a yellow stripe. They are the longest wearing tires I've ever used, bar none. The back tire on my Spectrum now has over 5,100 miles on it, some 3800 or so of which were on the front before I rotated it to the back. Michelin says they're the longest wearing, too. Thick tread, very flat resistant, a good training tire.

BumbleBeeDave
08-12-2009, 07:32 PM
ProBikeKit has both the Krylion and the PR3 on sale for a bit over $36 each. I just put PR3's on the Zebra bike. Maybe I should get Krylions for the Serotta and do a comparo.

BBD

maunahaole
08-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Krylion is not as supple as the PR, but it is far and away a much tougher tire. Long wearing and very flat resistant. Not as much grip and feels a little more wooden, especially at high pressure.

scottcw2
08-12-2009, 08:22 PM
I have the Lithions on my fixed gear commuter. 40+ miles per week for 4 months so far with no flats. I told my LBS (Velotech in Palo Alto) that I wanted a reasonably light tire that would be bomb proof. They went with the Lithion.

tylercheung
08-12-2009, 08:36 PM
didn't they just outsource production to a different factory? are the new lithions any different?

BumbleBeeDave
08-12-2009, 08:45 PM
. . . from this calendar year for the Krylion on roadbikereview.com. Several reviewing users point out that Michelin shifted production from France to Asia this year. Now I don't know what to do! :eek:

BBD

toaster
08-13-2009, 08:15 AM
Love the Lithions, remind me of the Pro Race 2's which are the best tire Michelin has made.

BumbleBeeDave
08-13-2009, 08:38 AM
. . . and got the PR3's for the Serotta, too. We'll see how my big Michelin PR conversion shakes out over the rest of the season.

Now, back to the job hunt . . .

BBD