PDA

View Full Version : what to do with set of 20/24H hubs?

tv_vt
08-12-2009, 01:21 PM
I've got a set of Bontrager Racelite wheels from about 2003. The rims are a nice deep blue color. But I'm not using them anymore, and I'm wondering what to do with them.

Options are to sell as a wheelset, or... maybe rebuild the hubs with some new rims. Looking for recommendations on suitable rims for this project. Was thinking maybe DT RR 1.2 for something aero. But I'm afraid the wheels will be too stiff, and I'm not looking for a super-stiff wheelset, rather something more comfy or lightweight for climbing. The DT RR 1.1's don't come in 20/24 drilling. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Thom

regularguy412
08-12-2009, 01:56 PM
I have a set of the 1.2s on my fixie. I built them 3x, aluminum nipples and 32-hole. I used DT Revolution spokes to soften the ride,, which they did quite nicely. The Revolutions work well in this application, since there's no dish on the back wheel and tension can remain equal.

The only real drawback to these rims is that they are a bit on the heavy side. For the fix, that doesn't really matter to me, because I'm using it as a training tool and not so much as an everyday rider.

OTOH if you built them with 14/15s, brass nipples and 2x, they'd be pretty much bombproof. The aero section rim builds easily. There are, however, no eyelets. That may or may not be an issue for you to consider.

Mike in AR:beer:

dannyg1
08-12-2009, 02:29 PM
The rear hub of the Bonty Race Lite series have been drilled specifically for paired spoke lacing as far back as I can remember. If these are, than lacing them any other way isn't a good idea, so I'm told.