PDA

View Full Version : Question on Dura Ace 7800 cranks

PaulE
08-10-2009, 07:50 PM
I just purchased a brand new Dura Ace 7800 crankset. It must be an early version of the crank, as it does not have the plastic security plate/pin between the two pinch bolts for the non-drive side crank arm. At first I thought this piece was missing, but on further inspection, the bottom bracket axle does not have the necessary hole machined into the splined section to receive the security plate/pin and the instructions do not include that information, as later versions do. I assume that once I install the crank and it's been properly torqued, all will be well. Does anyone know when/why Shimano added this plastic security plate/pin to its outboard bottom bracket cranks? I could buy the plastic piece and drill the splined section, but I think that would be overkill.

Just curious if anyone has any other thoughts on this.

bkboom123
08-10-2009, 08:11 PM
let it ride......I am sure you will not have an issue. DON't DRILL!

C50
08-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Don't think twice about it. I have the same version, no problems, install forget about it and enjoy.

BdaGhisallo
08-11-2009, 02:47 AM
I am pretty sure that the retention clip was added for the 2005 production run of these cranks. My first pair were bought in Dec 2003 and didn't have it.

PaulE
08-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Thanks all.