PDA

View Full Version : Child Bike Trailer...

Dekonick
01-30-2005, 09:11 AM
OK - I am in the market for a child chariot...

Anyone heard of this? http://www.chariotcarriers.com/html_english/cougar_sx.htm

It looks like a pretty good setup compared to what I have seen thus far.

A tad expensive, but for my kid its worth it (besides a Serotta frame is 3x the cost anyway...)

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks! :D

92degrees
01-30-2005, 09:23 AM
I've been using a Burley Encore and have been extremely happy with it. My son is around 35lbs. Pulls extremely well, remains upright even if you don't, and is easy on the stays. It folds very flat, so we can take it everywhere. Nice workout on the hills and it's motivating to have a kid behind you yelling faster! faster!

Dekonick
01-30-2005, 09:41 AM
another link I found -

http://www.gearreview.com/chariot_cougar.php

I think this is a new item in the US - it was on NBC's Today Show, featured in LA times, etc. It looks more road bike friendly than the other options I have seen.

Look at the Cougar SX - thats what I am thinking about buying. I was looking at a Burley before but this seems like something better.

Dunno - I am a sucker for good tech.

:D

zap
01-30-2005, 10:15 AM
Dekonick-did you see this.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2005/reviews/chariot_cougar_sx

93legendti
01-30-2005, 12:17 PM
My daughter loves our Burley.

Skrawny
01-30-2005, 12:55 PM
This recalled product is for older children (more of a tandem attachment) but I thought I should forward the news. I see a bunch of people in my area with variations on this theme.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/news/7oys/011005ap_7oys_bike_attachment_recall.html

Dekonick
01-30-2005, 03:14 PM
Cool! Zap -thanks for the link.

(also nice to know about the recall - wont be buying that any time soon...)

Looks like a chariot is in my near furute! My wife will even let me buy it!!!! I wonder if I can somehow sneak in a set of wheels.... ;)

TimB
01-31-2005, 07:15 AM
Sophia, now 2, has been riding in the Burley for a bit over a year. YMMV, but she's only conent for about 10-15 miles before she starts to get a bit restless. (Out of the trailer, she's a VERY busy girl and rarely sits still ever.) On the other hand, last time I was at RAGBRAI there was a couple on a tandem pulling their approx 2 year old in a Burley - 70 miles each day for a week. Just be prepared for anything in between. We typically pull Sophia about 10 miles to a playground, let her out for 30-45 minutes, then head back home. I'm hoping this coming summer that she'll be a bit more tolerant as she's a bit older.

We waited until she was almost a year old before we took her in the trailer to give her neck muscles a chance to develop enough to hold her head steady with the added weight of her helmet. (Just think shaken baby syndrome. The bounces and jolts on the road aren't that much different.) Don't forget the helmet! Sophia was not happy with it at first, but she's now at the point where she tolerates it pretty well. We've also had friends that have improvised with their trailers to hold their car seats with much younger babies, only you (or, your wife) can decide what you're comfortable with.

93legendti
01-31-2005, 08:58 AM
Interesting, the local Police told me a bike helmet was not required while a child rides in a bike trailer. Just as well, the netting on the back of the seat tips my daughter's head forward and makes her look down.

TimB
01-31-2005, 09:50 AM
I don't know that a helmet is required for a child in a trailer, but as I wouldn't ride without one, neither will she.

I also see it as a way to establish this habit from a young age - if she's never been around someone on a bike not wearing a helmet it'll never be an issue for later.

H.Frank Beshear
01-31-2005, 10:04 AM
When our twins were born we bought a Burley with the jogging accesories. It was great for any outdoor hikes. The bigger wheels popped over curbs and sidewalk cracks. we were able to seat them side by side with plenty of room for their gear and toys. Make sure you get the rain shield also, just in case, it also helps keep them warm earlier and later in the season. Ours had a 4 point harness to keep them secure it worked well. Once when we had first gotten it I tried to turn a little sharp dropped the trailer off the path and rolled everything, :eek: :( I was sure that I'd killed one or both, they thought it was fun hanging sort of sideways and upside down. Their mom was less amused. Now that they are almost 10 they are asking about riding on the road with dad, not quite yet but it won't be long. Enjoy this time they grow up all to fast and soon. Frank

93legendti
01-31-2005, 10:07 AM
I don't know that a helmet is required for a child in a trailer, but as I wouldn't ride without one, neither will she.

I also see it as a way to establish this habit from a young age - if she's never been around someone on a bike not wearing a helmet it'll never be an issue for later.

I agree, and she wears one on her trike, but she lasts 10 seconds in the trailer when the helmet pushes her head down and she only gets to look at her feet...:(

Between the roll bar and 4 point harness, I don't think her head could hit anything anyway.