PDA

View Full Version : Managing Cramps

Lifelover
08-09-2009, 10:42 PM
After watching the back and forth of the climbing thread I'm not really interested in any dissertations on the cause of cramps.

Lets just assume I hydrate properly but still cramp big time for a day are so after hard rides.

Is any other life time cramper have any meds that help? Are any of the over counter meds better than others in this regard?

false_Aest
08-09-2009, 10:46 PM
TUMS.

electrolytes.

calcium. potassium

NUUN tablets.

gatoraid.

basically electrolytes/salts

imho

dd74
08-09-2009, 10:47 PM
I'm as well starting to cramp regularly, particularly in the calves; sometimes the feet. But this is after reasonably hard riding for about an hour or so. I usually don't cramp during long slower rides.

I figure I need to drink more water, though I'm rarely thirsty.

Lifelover
08-09-2009, 10:52 PM
TUMS.

electrolytes.

calcium. potassium

NUUN tablets.

gatoraid.

basically electrolytes/salts

imho

Unfortunately, none of these (used before, during or after) have done much to help me.

Electrolyte depletion doesn't always explain cramping. Especially when the cramping is localized to a specific muscle.

dd74
08-09-2009, 10:54 PM
TUMS? I've never heard of that as a solution for cramps.

Louis
08-09-2009, 10:54 PM
this is after reasonably hard riding for about an hour or so

I'm hardly an expert on the subject, but 1 hour seems to me like an awfully short period of time for your body to run out of anything.

Louis
08-09-2009, 10:56 PM
TUMS? I've never heard of that as a solution for cramps.

Yup. Plenty of folks around here (hot and humid summers) use that.

false_Aest
08-09-2009, 11:12 PM
others may say . . .

blood sugar level too low.
try quinine (avoid the gin that goes with that)
stuff with high potassium (bananas)
----

I cramp when I haven't re-hydrated properly. For me that takes a few hours of drinking a half glass of h20 every 20-30 min. If I don't time it like this I pee it all out.

I sweat pretty salty too. So I make sure to rock the salsa and chips or whatever post ride.
----

The only only other time I've cramped is post ride (few hours after) I was at an outdoor movie screening and the temp dropped from 85 during the day to low 60s. My legs didn't like that. My hamstring was sore for 2-3 days.

bironi
08-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Well, let me know when a consensus is reached on how to prevent cramps. I'm 57, and have had leg cramps since 20. My wife who does not cycle has also suffered leg cramps for many years. The docs have no good answers, but hey maybe this forum does. :beer:

medici
08-10-2009, 01:29 AM
I've only found quinine sulfate (now prescription only) to be effective at preventing cramps on a long hard ride. There are issues with it as your doctor will tell you (or do some internet research). But I've had no side
effects after many years.

After the ride (I often cramp at nite), I use Hylands Leg Cramp (OTC) which seems to keep them at bay. As long as my leg muscles are twitching, I take salt/electrolytes. Either Succeed or Tablytes.

For cramping during the ride, I carry HCH Cramp Stop. Homeopathic, currently only available from the source in NZ. Works like a miracle at releasing the cramp, but it doesn't solve the underlying issue, whatever that might be.

Good luck. Leg cramps are a real curse.

Pete

Oh, you might want to check RoadBikeRider's web page on cramping. Lots of suggestions there.

http://www.roadbikerider.com/cramps.htm

soulspinner
08-10-2009, 05:26 AM
With me its hamstrings. Once in a restaurant my wife had to unfold my leg. :p

Climb01742
08-10-2009, 05:55 AM
since i started using hammer nutrition's "endurolytes" my cramping issues have vanished. i like that they're tablets, so i can control the dose independent of consuming massive amounts of liquid. FWIW, they've really worked for me.

palincss
08-10-2009, 06:35 AM
After watching the back and forth of the climbing thread I'm not really interested in any dissertations on the cause of cramps.

Lets just assume I hydrate properly but still cramp big time for a day are so after hard rides.

Is any other life time cramper have any meds that help? Are any of the over counter meds better than others in this regard?

V-8 does the trick for me. And, you can get it at most every convenience store.

palincss
08-10-2009, 06:36 AM
Electrolyte depletion doesn't always explain cramping. Especially when the cramping is localized to a specific muscle.

Curious - I can't recall ever having cramping that wasn't localized to a specific muscle.

Lifelover
08-10-2009, 08:35 AM
Curious - I can't recall ever having cramping that wasn't localized to a specific muscle.

In severe cases of electrolyte depletion like you see with extreme endurance sports, the cramping often involves the entire body.

I did a fair amount of online reseach regarding cramping and what I concluded is that people cramp for different reasons and the medical community really does not fully understand why.

It is not nearly as clear cut as a lot of people think.

Bud_E
08-10-2009, 12:47 PM
There have been numerous threads on the subject, e.g. : http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=16910 . You may also want to check out : http://www.roadbikerider.com/cramps.htm .

I have to battle cramps on long hot rides and for me the solution is to maintain electrolytes. I use the zone-caps and e-load from : http://www.eload-performancefuel.com/shop/ because they work and they're easy on my digestive system but there are dozens of similar products out there. Good luck.

bob the nailer
08-10-2009, 09:31 PM
pickles, or pickle juice. Works for me. Don' t know why they occur, sometimes I get them and sometimes not, doing the exact same ride, same temps, same electrolyte solution. Almost 100 percent of the time same muscle, the one that runs across your thigh from the inside above your knee towards your hip diagonally. Can't remember the name.

gasman
08-10-2009, 09:43 PM
pickles, or pickle juice. Works for me. Don' t know why they occur, sometimes I get them and sometimes not, doing the exact same ride, same temps, same electrolyte solution. Almost 100 percent of the time same muscle, the one that runs across your thigh from the inside above your knee towards your hip diagonally. Can't remember the name.

Sartorius

thwart
08-10-2009, 09:49 PM
I did a fair amount of online reseach regarding cramping and what I concluded is that people cramp for different reasons and the medical community really does not fully understand why. It is not nearly as clear cut as a lot of people think. True, that.

Yet, the worse cramps I've experienced came after a long Spring ride last year, lots of hills as well. Only 60 degrees. Doing my usual stretches after reaching home---Yeow!

Went in and drank 16 oz of electrolyte solution, then did the stretches again 15 minutes later. No problem at all.

erector
08-11-2009, 01:46 AM
So when I started cycling classes at the gym (in the winter time) I REALLY started working on cadence, spinning upwards of 110 bpm, and eliminating the monster mash from my cycling routine.
That being said, i got the WORST inner leg cramps I have ever had, of course, in the middle of the night. Usually, with calf cramps specifically, I am able to wake up in a second, kick out a stretch, and have the cramp stop.

I started drinking more h20 during the day, eating more salts, and doing the potassium vitamin waters. That helped a little. Post-ride drinks, I use the Endurox, seemed to help. I get the chocolate, 2 scoops, and skim milk. It's like chocolate milk, but it helped more.

The FINaL bit that sealed the deal was avocados. I am lucky (or crazy) enough to live in California, and so fresh avocados are in abundance. They have 6x the potassium as bananas, good fat (that's also a nick-name I've given myself), and taste good. Post ride, a couple of avocado slices, some salty chips with guac, or on top of a salad, are great ways to replenish the salts I sweat out during a ride.