PDA

View Full Version : another ultra torque question

vqdriver
08-09-2009, 11:50 AM
so i've developed the 'creak' when cranking up a hill, but not so much when just spinning of course.

i plan on removing and reinstalling the crankset and bb cups. the question is, do i need to scrape off and reapply loctite where the factory thread locker was?
any loctite on the crank bolt itelf, or just on the bb cup threads?

and someone remind me what color loctite i'm supposed to use.

Dave
08-09-2009, 01:52 PM
I would first lube the chainring mounting areas with a penetrating lube and check the bolts for tightness. Also check your rear skewer. I had an out-of-the-saddle creak recently and it was the rear skewer in need of tightening. I also applied a little lube to the skewer.

To reinstall the crank, I would wipe the threads clean, grease the BB shell threads and apply a few turns of teflon tape to the cup threads. I would never use the purple loctite 222 method.

I don't believe that loctite should be required for the center fixing bolt either, but if it is used, both threads must be clean and dry. Blue loctite would be the color to use.

Grease the bearings and cups as described for the new installation.

Here's what I recommend for a new installation:

I advise against the use of loctite 222 on the threads. The cups come with factory applied thread locker that would have to be removed if loctite 222 is used. Campy fails to mention this in their instructions. Hand tightening the cups is not always possible either, so the instructions fail again.

The critical items are that the BB shell width be 67.2-68.8mm in width and the BB faces square to the threads and free of paint. I remove the paint, measure the BB shell width with calipers, then grease the BB shell threads and screw the cups in until they contact a .010 inch feeler gage. I then use .008 -.012 inch feelers to search for high or low spots between the cup and BB shell. If areas exceeding these limits are found, the BB needs facing and remeasuring for width after the facing. If the shell is less than 67.2mm in width, a shim would be needed under the left cup.

Torque the cups to 35Nm and you should have no problems. Grease all metal to metal contact areas, including the bearing OD and inside of the cups. Torque the center fixing bolt to 42Nm. Don't forget to install the spring clip in the right side cup.