PDA

View Full Version : creaking noise...found it, now what??

Kingfisher
08-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Ok, I just built up an ebay purchase, Cannondale caad 7 with all campy and with the cannondale si alloy crankset. Wonderful bike, great ride, BUT, it developed a creak/click when standing.

I tried every remedy known and it finally came down to the crank arm bolts. I retightened them and no more creak. My question is, they do seem to work themselves a bit loose, not loose, but I can retighten after a ride. Should I loctite these baby's to ensure they stay put??

dave thompson
08-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Did you torque the crank bolts to specifications? Pretty damn tight, usually more than you would apply by 'feel'. Correct torque generally keeps bolts from coming loose again.

Kingfisher
08-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Did you torque the crank bolts to specifications? Pretty damn tight, usually more than you would apply by 'feel'. Correct torque generally keeps bolts from coming loose again.

I'm cranking down pretty hard, don't have a torque wrench...usually after a new install you crank it down, ride it and then crank it down one more time and that's it.

malcolm
08-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Is it a square taper bb spindle? I assume probably one of the newer types, but square tapers if the arms have been on and off a bunch will tend to come loose.

Kingfisher
08-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Is it a square taper bb spindle? I assume probably one of the newer types, but square tapers if the arms have been on and off a bunch will tend to come loose.

Forgot to say it is a bb30 bottom bracket with the pressed in bearings.

davidlee
08-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Forgot to say it is a bb30 bottom bracket with the pressed in bearings.

Good luck with that :beer:

Just kidding... umm , mine made noises too. Apply lots and lots of grease especially non drive where the crank pulls on spindle( opposite of square taper with no grease) . Mine never loosened , just noise.
PM me if you want more details.
david

Peter P.
08-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Blue Loctite (Loctite 242) for the bolt threads is acceptable because it's a removable threadlock.

Dekonick
08-09-2009, 05:04 PM
campy says to use green loctite - I have usually used blue on all threaded bolts on my bikes. Forgot to do it with a new crankset (still sq taper) and I lost 2 bolts. Expensive little bastards!