PDA

View Full Version : too many bikes lead to problems

Ken Robb
08-08-2009, 08:53 PM
My tires rot before they wear out. My brake pads turn to bricks before they show more than minimal wear. There are 3 new generations of gruppos before I need to replace a chain.

Today I noticed a crispy grating sound while braking on my Nuovo Record bike. Upon inspection the pads were crumbly and rigid. I don't think Governor Schwartzeneger could compress them with 13" channel lock pliers.

The good news is that after installing the salmon pads everyone loves the brakes are wonderful. Tremendous ability to modulate them plus the ability to lock either wheel at will. I had replaced the NR pads that looked like new a few years ago withgreen Jagwire pads and holders. That was an improvement at the time but not as good as I had expected. In retrospect I have to guess that the green pads were rather old when I bought them because the brakes have never been this good in my experience.

trophyoftexas
08-08-2009, 08:57 PM
[QUOTE=Ken Robb]My tires rot before they wear out. My brake pads turn to bricks before they show more than minimal wear. There are 3 new generations of gruppos before I need to replace a chain.
QUOTE]

I can relate!

Louis
08-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Assuming they are stored at reasonable temps and away from direct sunlight how long will tires keep?

WadePatton
08-08-2009, 10:29 PM
uv, temps, and oxygen are the main culprits.

store you unridden bikes in a vacuum or nitrogen charged chambers...

:cool: :rolleyes: ;) :D

Ken Robb
08-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Avocet tires last a LONG time. Velo-flex and Contis not so long. Michelins in my area are cut to ribbons before they can rot.

WadePatton
08-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Assuming they are stored at reasonable temps and away from direct sunlight how long will tires keep?

i just mounted some of my pull-off atb tires for another guy--they're at least six years old and look fine. they've been out of sunlight but not protected from temps. (or oxygen :p )

Nil Else
08-08-2009, 11:03 PM

Same here...

I keep all my bikes etc in AC'ed/heated basement. What is the maximum shelf life I should expect out of tires (I have "few": Vittoria & Conti tubies and Michelin, Conti, Vittoria, Vredestien clinchers), pads, butyle & latex tubes, and glue in tubes? My tires are in boxes so no UV or temp damage but obviously possible oxygen damage... oldest ones are something like 8 years old. A pack rat that I am, apparently I over-stashed :eek:

All my campy 10sp on all my bikes and stashes are trumped by the new-ness of the Narrow chain, UT, and 11sp... that I have no plans to upgrade to.... at least components shouldn't decay.

Ken Robb
08-09-2009, 05:16 AM
I read that ozone is a big factor in aging rubber and that is generated by electric motors. My garage in San Diego is not subject to temperature extremes but the furnace is in a closet near where I store the bikes. But, as I said, there is a big difference in tire aging among various brands I have used on bicycles and, to a much lesser extent, motorcycles. I haven't noticed any aging on my car tires but then I wear them out in less time than some of my bicycle tires.
Experts say that the performance of auto tire decreases significantly after 3 years. I would think that the performance of bike tires might go away quicker since I can see cracking on them while 10 year-old auto tires often look perfect. The difference is that I never corner so fast on a bike that I slide the tires so I don't notice any reduction in "stickiness" on them even with obvious signs of aging. I do occasionally (especially on racetracks) use all the traction my car tires have and more. I can control a car when it slides and applying power or braking while turning will easily overpower available traction so I have experienced degraded traction from old tires that still look fine. The lesson here is to check the date of manufacture code on the sidewalls of any tires before you buy them. I know how to read the code on car and motorcycle tires but not those for bicycles. Heck based on my recent experience with hardened brake pads on my bicycle I wish there was a code on them too.

VTCaraco
08-09-2009, 08:03 AM
As an alternative, you can ship said "extra" bikes to Vermont.
I'll keep them in my heated garage, safe from the compromised air of San Diego and your closeted furnace, and use them lovingly on our bucolic roads. I'll send pictures periodically ~ still life and action shots.
When the urge comes for you to ride them again, I will ship them back to you.
PM if you'd like to arrange details. :beer:

weaponsgrade
08-09-2009, 12:45 PM
http://www.303products.com/

anyone ever try it?