PDA

View Full Version : shimano 600 compatible BB? alternatives?

Dekonick
08-08-2009, 04:05 AM
I need a shimano 600 compatible BB for a single speed I am building up for a friend. Looking to do it a la cheap as its a favor.

Anyone know a source? (english thread)

dwightskin
08-08-2009, 07:07 AM
Bike Tools Etc has a lot of bottom brackets.

Also, the Shimano un54 is readily available everywhere.

SomeFab also has bottom brackets.

Marcusaurelius
08-08-2009, 09:08 AM
Although they are brands a little cheaper than a shimano bottom bracket they will not be as durable as the shimano.

Dekonick
08-08-2009, 10:22 PM
ok - so short of measuring, what do I need for shimano 600 cranks with just the 39 ring (mounted to the outside so it doesnt look retarded) to standard 130 spaced rear wheel with a freewheel? (old serotta colorado AL frame) Just building a simple city bike for a friend (singlespeed) - trying to get the correct chainline the first time.

Ill be using the shimano un54 (thanks for the tip!)

I am used to campy, and that would use a 102mm - but I built up my fixed gear with a 103 and a sugino singlespeed crank w eno hub - that chainline is spot on. I was looking at Sheldon's old site and couldn't find what I was looking for.

peanutgallery
08-09-2009, 09:02 AM
ok - so short of measuring, what do I need for shimano 600 cranks with just the 39 ring (mounted to the outside so it doesnt look retarded) to standard 130 spaced rear wheel with a freewheel? (old serotta colorado AL frame) Just building a simple city bike for a friend (singlespeed) - trying to get the correct chainline the first time.

Ill be using the shimano un54 (thanks for the tip!)

I am used to campy, and that would use a 102mm - but I built up my fixed gear with a 103 and a sugino singlespeed crank w eno hub - that chainline is spot on. I was looking at Sheldon's old site and couldn't find what I was looking for.

115 was the standard, 113 was commonly used. 600 ultegra cranks were really wide, any narrower on the spindle and you will have arms hitting the chainstays.

Dekonick
08-09-2009, 09:50 AM
So I assume I will need to add spacers (potentially) to the rear to get chainline right.

peanutgallery
08-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Unfortunately you will probably have to experiment a bit. Install the ring and see where you end up, but this is half the fun of wrenching on a bike