PDA

View Full Version : A friend's dumb*ss move of the year.

Elefantino
01-29-2005, 12:59 PM
I have this friend, see. And he really did a dumb thing today. He drove into his garage. With the bike on the rack. Good news: There was no damage to the garage or his new car ... or his No. 1 bike. Bad news: His older bike's chromed steel fork snapped off at the right dropout. A clean break. It is toast. He feels like a complete richardhead. :crap:

He wants to know if there is anything that can be done short of getting a new fork. I told him that I'd ask.

dave thompson
01-29-2005, 01:11 PM
Perhaps join the broken fork pieces and secure them together with "Official" Serotta Forum stickers? ;)

Kidding of course, but genuine sympathies for your 'friend'. That's gotta hurt!

BumbleBeeDave
01-29-2005, 10:06 PM
. . . not to be too hard on himself. He is far from the first person to do this. Have him call Serotta and ask them what the main reason is they get frames coming back for repair.

Your “friend” is human and is lucky to have learned this lesson without completely trashing a whole bike!

BBDave

Larry
01-30-2005, 07:31 AM
S..t happens..........

I did this to my old steel Guerciotti. It snapped off the seat post.....clean as a whistle. I rode it for another two years, and then discovered that it also creased the downtube near the headset. Yes.....the steel tube did bend a little, but the bike was still good.

Perhaps all that is necessary is a new fork. I would suggest upgrading to a lighter carbon fork and threadless set-up.

weisan
02-01-2005, 12:07 AM
Ele,

I have done it before. Please tell your friend I have a spare brand new chromed steel fork that he can have it if he want. Hopefully this will make him feel better. Just PM me.

weisan

cinelli
02-01-2005, 06:46 AM
Whenever I do something really dumb, I usually tell my wife that "my friend" did it. "My friend" has done a lot of dumb things! :) ;)

BumbleBeeDave
02-01-2005, 08:24 AM
. . . Having really dumbas* friends seems to be a common affliction. I've always been astonished to see how many people write into Dear Abby and Ann Landers about the stupid things their "friends" have done! ;)

BBDave

IFRider
02-01-2005, 01:59 PM
My wife drove into our garage one summer evening with her '84 cannondale on the roof. These early cannondales were of the "rattle your teeth" vintage. It was on a Thule roof rack on a '89 VW Golf. VW Golf roof racks are the most secure I have ever seen and the bike was on with a fork mount only. Well, she made it all the way into the garage and the bike with the rack still attached was standing in the driveway on all four feet of the rack. ripped the sheetmetal right off the roof. The only thing from was the cable along the top of the toptube was crushed. Nothing with bike was wrong.

Warren