PDA

View Full Version : the wrong place in the paceline.

Ti Designs
08-07-2009, 10:10 AM
After posting my comment about William's bike not fitting me, I got to thinking about the last time I saw the big guy on a ride. I wouldn't want to be on his bike, but every time we started heading down a hill I sure wanted to be on his wheel. Then I thought about last night's group ride. One of my riders is tiny, she rides a bike with 650 wheels and doesn't move any air much above knee level. I was pushing the pace a bit, creating a split on a long, flat section and watching who was coming across the gap. Sure enough, 3 riders bridged up, she was one of them. She doesn't have the power to cross the gap alone, but she knows which wheel to follow (said her proud coach). When the front group formed with her in it, I watched the guy behind her suffer as he got almost no draft.

I've started my own little list of people not to follow.

1) tiny riders - if they don't have adult sized wheels they're not good drafts.
2) The guy who washes his cycling clothing once a month. I'll work super hard to make sure that person is far, far behind.
3) The guy in the white shorts on a wet or humid day - just say no to crack.
4) The idiot who has to point out everything on the road, and yells at othes for not doing the same. Have you seen our roads? It would take less effort to point out the smooth sections. If they're going to point out every crack in the road, I start pointing out other stuff, like birds.
5) The new, cute girl in the group. I have nothing against cute girls, but when you have a half dozen guys trying to help her along, nothing good will come of it.
6) The rider who finds all the potholes. There was a girl on the Harvard team a few years ago who was a pothole magnet. You could almost see potholes moving across the road to be with her. As strong as she was, she spelled disaster for any team time trial.
7) Pigpen. I've only known one rider to be like this, but somehow everywhere that Brent went a dust cloud followed him. After doing a 70 mile ride with him I looked like I just completed Paris-Roubaix on a muddy year.

Acotts
08-07-2009, 10:15 AM
We ahve a super hard Hill Ride around here. Its a full on 80 minute racepace drop fest.

A girl showed up a couple weeks ago with the chinstraps behind the ears (instead of having the "V" go on each side). I really dont know how she managed that. It was pretty funny.

I pulled her aside and explained that this wasn't the ride she was looking for. I helped her with her helmet and tried to get her phone number.

Anyways...she was not a good wheel to follow.

thwart
08-07-2009, 12:45 PM
3) The guy in the white shorts on a wet or humid day - just say no to crack. Post o' the day. :D

Steve D
08-07-2009, 01:09 PM
The guy with the helmet mirror who yells, "CAR BACK" each and every time a car passes.

Last weekend I rode with one of these guys and I thought he was going to start calling out make and model. GMC Sierra back... oops sorry, I mean Chevy Silverado back.

Drove me nuts.

39cross
08-07-2009, 01:11 PM
...behind the guy who drips sweat.

Kevan
08-07-2009, 01:33 PM
nothing worse than hearing a bike constantly cry.

Funny thread...we've all been there.

Acotts
08-07-2009, 01:38 PM
^^oh man1 I can hear a squeeky RD from about 200 feet away. It drives me nuts. Its so distracting.

rugbysecondrow
08-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Awesome. Too funny.

Delpo
08-07-2009, 02:53 PM
1. The guy who can't hold a straight line to save his life
2. Wheel crossers
3. The guy who always manages to drop a bottle
4. The guy that is always calling out watts, speed, hear rate, etc...

fierte_poser
08-07-2009, 04:39 PM
1. The rider with clip-on aero bars.
2. The rider who surges when its their turn up front.

bluto
08-07-2009, 05:04 PM
4. The guy that is always calling out watts, speed, hear rate, etc...

You're kidding right? so sad.....

bironi
08-07-2009, 06:32 PM
the guy who reeks of clothes dryer deodorizer strips.

JBone
08-07-2009, 06:55 PM
The guy who has a cold...and keeps blowing his nose every 2 mins
The guy who was complaining of a stomach ache... keep your mouth closed

Steve in SLO
08-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Half-wheeler
Guy blowing snot rockets into the wind
Old Lycra Shorts Dude--variation on the white shorts dude
Scared Ferret dude--overreacts to every variation in pace
Loose Seatbag Dude--I hate it when their bag swings loose in the wind

link
08-07-2009, 07:42 PM
until you're in the pack right behind the dumbest rider in the group

the guy who jumps out of the saddle right when you're tight on his wheel
...geee we were all ready to brake because we all know that your ass is sore and you really shouldn't be here.

the guy who can't help but to keep lookin behind himself every 30 seconds
...hey, what do you care what's behind you? why don't you do us all a favor and pay attention to what's in front of you.

Then I realize that everyone gets a chance to be a dumb bunny again and again. So, I take a deep breath and say, hey there partner let me show you something that works a little better. :)

jrmerson
08-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Behind Dave. See all the above.

Louis
08-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Loose Seatbag Dude--I hate it when their bag swings loose in the wind

TMI :p

soulspinner
08-08-2009, 06:34 AM
TMI :p

Ya aint supposed to be wearin short shorts :)

rustychisel
08-08-2009, 12:43 PM
The Throwback Kid.

On a small incline he launches out of the saddle with such lack of skill that the bike is thrown backward at the following rider a distance of over a foot.

I don't ride behind him.

c-record
08-08-2009, 01:20 PM
The Throwback Kid.

On a small incline he launches out of the saddle with such lack of skill that the bike is thrown backward at the following rider a distance of over a foot.

I don't ride behind him.

In a polite way? Probably respond well to criticism that is intended for his benefit. Unless he's a dill weed.

gman
08-08-2009, 03:12 PM
The person who can't spin and pushes a gear at 70 rpm in a fast paceline - pedal, pedal, pedal, coast.....pedal, pedal, pedal, coast....

The person who stands up and throws their bike under them so far they seem like they are moving backward...and into my front wheel.

Anyone with aerobars or those who like to look really cool and ride the invisible ones.

Anyone with any electronic wiring in their ears.

Ti Designs
08-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Old Lycra Shorts Dude--variation on the white shorts dude

That was one of my riders for part of a season. Does anyone remember Lemond's team Z? Well, if your shorts have that logo on them, it's time to visit the bike shop. And no, Good Will doesn't want your 18 year old pair of cycling shorts where all the stretch has gone out of the lycra, as has it's ability to block light. And here's one I can't stress enough - if your shorts make the sound of crumpled paper every time you move your legs, you're about a decade late in replacing them.

On the up side, if your shorts are that bad, the group will take up a collection to help you buy a new pair.

Climb01742
08-08-2009, 05:34 PM
ah, the joys of riding solo. if there's a dill weed on that ride, it's me. :rolleyes:

Kevan
08-08-2009, 07:34 PM
but when everything works right, it's like a symphony. Sure there's some occasional yelling, but people generally smarten up and then it's all good and everything is forgiven.

WadePatton
08-08-2009, 10:15 PM
ah, the joys of riding solo. if there's a dill weed on that ride, it's me. :rolleyes:

yeah, my usual gig--at once the smartest/dumbest, fastest/slowest, freshest/tiredest mofo out there.

oh and 'bents are a bitch to draft--unless they're faired. yes we have a couple of those in the club. oh and they're so fussy about road surfaces. :D

hey, and don't take it personal 'bent folks...i'd try one out if the roads were smooth and cars weren't on them. :bike:

Blue Jays
08-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Moaners, cursers, and crybabies! :beer:

Ti Designs
08-08-2009, 11:15 PM
ah, the joys of riding solo.

SO let me get this straight, you're stuck on the front with your nose into the wind the whole time, and that's a good ride for you?

MarcusPless
08-08-2009, 11:55 PM
SO let me get this straight, you're stuck on the front with your nose into the wind the whole time, and that's a good ride for you?

Depends on where you're coming from...

As a bike commuter riding in the wind might be just business as usual. I don't get to choose.

At the Saturday morning World's it's a different story. As a (primarily) bike commuter one of the things about group road cycling that never ceases to surprise me is the number of people that simply won't take a turn at the front. No matter what. Me, I'll ride in the front, I'll ride in the middle, I'll ride in/off the back. No matter. But considering that most everyone that is there is there for some sort of exercise (it's not really a race) I'm amused/amazed by the people that refuse to ride in the wind.

I'm sure it's just me....

--Marcus

Climb01742
08-09-2009, 06:40 AM

yep. maybe i'm just not a group sorta person. i like the freedom most days, to ride where i wish, at the speed i wish, and how far i wish. there are, of course, days when i'd love company, and the days i do ride with a small group, it's almost always a better workout and the company is great. but most days? solo just feels good.

bzbvh5
08-09-2009, 12:20 PM
yep. maybe i'm just not a group sorta person. i like the freedom most days, to ride where i wish, at the speed i wish, and how far i wish. there are, of course, days when i'd love company, and the days i do ride with a small group, it's almost always a better workout and the company is great. but most days? solo just feels good.

+1

weiwentg
08-09-2009, 01:41 PM
After posting my comment about William's bike not fitting me, I got to thinking about the last time I saw the big guy on a ride. I wouldn't want to be on his bike, but every time we started heading down a hill I sure wanted to be on his wheel. Then I thought about last night's group ride. One of my riders is tiny, she rides a bike with 650 wheels and doesn't move any air much above knee level. I was pushing the pace a bit, creating a split on a long, flat section and watching who was coming across the gap. Sure enough, 3 riders bridged up, she was one of them. She doesn't have the power to cross the gap alone, but she knows which wheel to follow (said her proud coach). When the front group formed with her in it, I watched the guy behind her suffer as he got almost no draft.

I've started my own little list of people not to follow.

1) tiny riders - if they don't have adult sized wheels they're not good drafts.

I have 700c wheels and in my racing days I could have easily pulled the pack. but I'm 5'5" and don't give much of a draft. always got teased about it.