PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic But WOW

Lifelover
01-29-2005, 10:17 AM
The week after the tidal wave the USS San Francisco ran into a sea-mount doing 30+ knots.

I think there was only 1 death but allot of serious injuries. The fact that they were able to surface and stay afloat is a testament to the design and build quality of our naval vessels.

Jeff N.
01-29-2005, 10:20 AM
I have no idea how they were able to surface! Not from the looks of it. Jeff N. :confused:

Lifelover
01-29-2005, 10:29 AM
Emergent blow down to surface. I assume that they have compressed gas in reserve and enough hatches dogged to accomplish this even with this much damage. To stay afloat they had to reroute the exhaust from the Diesels to help pressurize the compartments. Obviously it is some kind of emergent procedure that was already established.

Jeff N.
01-29-2005, 10:32 AM
Amazing just the same. Jeff N.

Bruce K
01-29-2005, 11:19 AM
According to what I read, the inner hull was not breached, nor were the ballast tanks so they were able to make the emergency blow.

I read it was fairly tricky for them to keep the boat level and on the surface during their trip back to the home port.

According to reports their charts did not show the undersea mountain they ran into at 30+ knots. Russian naval charts from years ago called the area dangerous and also did not show the particualr mountain they hit.

Apparently new satellite data shows the area as dangerous with many undersea promontories but again, not the particular one they hit.

They are lucky they didn't lose the whole boat.

BK

vandeda
01-29-2005, 05:23 PM
Ummmmm .... that is quite the picture. And yes, there was, fortunately, only 1 death. This really hits home since I work at the company that designed the reactors for those subs. The damage, as you can see, is just incredible.

Dan

Needs Help
01-29-2005, 06:15 PM
I guess they should have thought about turning on their sonar? :confused:

It sounds like negligence to me--similar to when that other US sub did a rapid surfacing maneuver to show off to some visitors, and rammed a Japanese fishing boat killing a number of people.

jerk
01-29-2005, 07:07 PM
if you use sonar they know where you are.....generally those things tool around silently based on chart navigation and other weird forms of ancient sea-craft....the jer thinks submariners still have to be under 5'6 and one can still smoke cigarettes on them.....oh, they also have the best food. submarines are also "boats" not "ships" because they don't have other "boats" on board....the jerk knows all these stupid things for the same reason he knows alot about sharks and bears. mrs. jerk is terribly afraid of submarines, sharks and bears so she seeks every little bit of information out about them....which the jerk then learns by osmosis, heresay, and through weird and strange television programs the mrs. must watch when she stumbles upon them.
jerk

Lifelover
01-29-2005, 08:55 PM
Submariners believe there to be only 2 kinds of sea going vessels.

Subs and Targets

BumbleBeeDave
01-29-2005, 09:39 PM
. . . why exactly they ran into the mountain, but I have a sneaking suspicion that after the inquiry is over someone is going to be peeling potatoes at Fort Dix for a Very. Long. Time.

BBDave

SGP
01-31-2005, 11:41 AM
...for a few years. I didn't go sub because of my fear of just this thing happening. Try to immagin the boat suddenly stopping and every loose item in side (crew) flying forward at full speed! It is amazing that there were not more injured. Just getting home is a remarkable achievment.

William
02-01-2005, 05:52 AM
That's amazing. Check out the bulge in the top of the hull just behind the damaged area. Unless that's by design, that would indicate one heck of an impact beyond what the visible damage shows. I'm surprised it held up and made it back.
Good job electric boat! (assuming it was made there).

William--who grew up near an ocean, had grandparents who lived on the ocean, won't swim in the ocean, saw JAWS at an impressionable age, and like Mrs Jerk is facinated by sharks and anything ocean related.

" Give me one ping Viscilli, one ping only."

BumbleBeeDave
02-01-2005, 05:56 AM
I think I saved this photo at work, so I can look at it at higher res. I thinkthat bulge is supposed to be there, though. Sonar dome? . . .

BBDave

William
02-01-2005, 06:20 AM
I wasn't sure. I thought it was possible that it could be by design. Maybe a sonar dome like you said. Or possibly used to effect the flow of water over the hull?

William

~I would be interested in seeing the higher res image if possible.~

Too Tall
02-01-2005, 06:20 AM
They won't let my kind on DECK! That is a real tragedy and recall the skipper is pulling light duty now in some g-d forsaken place.

Speaking of Subs. Those are some of my fav. WWII movies and the all time grestest sub movie all about a guy having a really really bad day is Das Boot. Did I say this guy was having a bad day? That is an understatement.

William
02-01-2005, 06:31 AM
Speaking of Subs. Those are some of my fav. WWII movies

Me too. Yes, Das Boot. Red October, Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea...I think that cover the gamut of good to....

In High school I actually had a Navy recruiter tell me I could be on a sub (when I asked). At 6' 6" I highly doubt it. I think it was more a ploy to get me to sign up and then deploy me someplace else. :rolleyes:

William

Lifelover
02-01-2005, 07:37 AM
I think I saved this photo at work, so I can look at it at higher res. I thinkthat bulge is supposed to be there, though. Sonar dome? . . .

BBDave

I will confirm it but I work in the Shipyard that last worked on this sub and I'm pretty sure the bulge was not there. Could be wrong though.

BumbleBeeDave
02-01-2005, 08:17 AM
. . . and it scared the chain grease out of me! That scene where they are going deep, with the depth charges going off and the bolts flying off the inside of the hull and ricocheting around like bullets? . . . Holy SH*T!!

BBDave