PDA

View Full Version : Wheel build/rim issue

dnades
08-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Ok. So I got a screaming deal on some 07 zipp zedtech4 hubs. 18 hole both the front and the back. I would be much happier with more holes. But the deal was pretty good...So I weigh 160 and am not a sprinter. These hubs were designed for a carbon deep dish rim whether for aero or strength or both. Can they be used on a less expensive aluminum rim without jeopardizing my pretty face? I was thinking along the lines of a Kinlin 27 or 30 rim with bladed spokes. I'd love to use a wider rim like the hed c2 but the only rim I can find that is 23mm wide is a velocity synergy and I don't think it comes in 18 holes plus it would be a rather unique combo to say the least. If I had the dough I would spring for some edge tubular rims but there is the rub. Is there a source for determining spoke tension via the number of spokes a wheel has? Would the tension need to be so great that it would damage the rim or nipple? Just a bit out of my depth but I thought it might be fun to build something up.

thanks

cmg
08-06-2009, 08:59 AM
post this questions at the RBR site http://forums.roadbikereview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95 in the wheels section. suspect the 27 will be enough but there is some wheelbuilders on the rbr site.

ergott
08-06-2009, 09:02 AM
I have an 18 hole hub laced to an American Classic 420 rim for my front wheel. I'm about 160 and like to stomp on the pedals and it's fine for me. I'd say you could do it for the front with a Kinlin XR300 (30mm niobium rim that has other names as well). The rear is a different issue. Recount the holes for the rear. I think you have a 20 hole. With only 18 holes, you couldn't have any cross pattern since there would only be 9 spokes on either side. If it's 12 on the drive side and 6 on the other that's a different story.

Either way, 20 spokes for a rear wheel is tough for an aluminium rim. I usually don't go lower than 24 for riders of our weight. You might want to save the hub until you can get a carbon rim for it.

The only alloy rim I would consider using those hubs with as a pair would be Velocity Deep V. They are real strong and heavy which kind of negates the point of using those hubs. If you go ahead with it, you can use lighter gauge spokes for the front wheel (Sapim CX-Rays, DT Aerolites or similar) and I would recommend standard double butted spokes for the rear wheel (2.0/1.8/2.0mm). That would be a strong set of wheels if built well.