PDA

View Full Version : Assos bibs - Uno S5 vs Mille S5?

oldguy00
08-06-2009, 06:44 AM
Anyone here tried both the Uno and Mille versions of the Assos bib shorts?? Any major differences in quality, durability, and feel??

Thanks!

Nathanrtaylor
08-06-2009, 08:29 AM
I have both. I got the Mille S5 first, then the Uno S5 as my second pair of Assos bibs.

The fabrics seem to be the same, including the material used for the chamois. The fit of the Uno gives slightly more compression than the Mille, but this is very hard to tell. Both pairs are less constricting than any other bibs I have tried. Durability of the fabric seems good. I have worn and hand-washed each pair close to 10 times now and they look new.

The major difference that I can see is that the chamois on the Mille S5 is cut and sewn to create a curve that helps it fit better. The Uno S5 has a flat chamois, which I don't think makes the fit worse. Both of the bibs have similarly constructed chamois - two layers over the saddle area, one seamless layer overall.

If I were to buy another pair, it would be the Uno S5. The Assos quality is still there, but they are less expensive. You would be hard pressed to tell them apart if you didn't know how they differed.

jchasse
08-06-2009, 08:34 AM
I'll pile on by sayin if you haen't tried the S5 bibs yet, prepare to fall in love. The s5 Unos are way superior to either the last gen Uno or Mille. I have several pairs of the new Uno and after wearing them I couldn't come up with a reason to pay more for the Mille.

ahumblecycler
08-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Go Uno, at least that would be the way I would do it if the medium fit my body (medium too tight; large too loose). I was thoroughly impressed by the Uno; i was not by the mille. I found the Mille pad to be too dense and ached after 60 miles. I also liked the non-shaped chamois of the Uno ... everyone's junk is different.

Like I said above, I would own several Uno's and in fact am considering getting them tailored.

However, only your butt will tell you which is best.

Rueda Tropical
08-06-2009, 09:59 AM
I still am using 3 pairs of tattered Assos Campianissimo bibs. My favorite bib was the top of the line Castelli progetto-y but my last pair gave up the ghost a while ago. Looks like the Assos are longer wearing. I liked the thinner pad of the Castelli Y though.

I'm going to have to get new bibs soon. Anyone know how the uno pad compares to the old Campanissimo? Anyone have experience with the new Castelli free bib? Is the pad still thinner then the Assos?

I had some sticker shock when I saw what prices are like now. I paid around $90. for the Assos top of the line bibs at the Assos web shop back when the Euro was worth $0.90!

jchasse
08-06-2009, 11:05 AM
I still am using 3 pairs of tattered Assos Campianissimo bibs. My favorite bib was the top of the line Castelli progetto-y but my last pair gave up the ghost a while ago. Looks like the Assos are longer wearing. I liked the thinner pad of the Castelli Y though.

I'm going to have to get new bibs soon. Anyone know how the uno pad compares to the old Campanissimo? Anyone have experience with the new Castelli free bib? Is the pad still thinner then the Assos?

I had some sticker shock when I saw what prices are like now. I paid around $90. for the Assos top of the line bibs at the Assos web shop back when the Euro was worth $0.90!

I still have 3 pairs of the old Campanissimo bibs too - the ones with the perforated leather-looking chamois. Those have been the gold standard for me since I bought a bunch of them 10+ years ago. I had slowly lost my love for newer Assos bibs over time until the S5s. Their chamois is a little thinner than the old Campanissimo, but i actuially prefer them now. THe new S5 Uno is what I reach for on my "long" rides now.