PDA

View Full Version : campy wheel warranty question

r_mutt
08-05-2009, 11:53 PM
i have a set of campy zonda wheels from 2008. they are about 1.5 years old ( i bought them in the winter of 2008, but have only used them since may. my estimation of mileage is less than 1,500 miles. i bought these over the phone, from lickbike. a few weeks ago after a race, i noticed that a few spokes had come loose in the front. i went to the LBS, and had them re-true the front. no problem i thought. next week, again after another race, the same thing happened, and this time i was far from home so i went to a shop, and they did a more complete re-true- taking off the tire to have a go at getting it trued. good job by them, it's been 2 weeks now and the front seems ok even though they said it would probably need a rebuild. i have watching the front carefully ever since. now i think i am pretty careful about my riding, sure, i hit an occasional east coast frost heave pothole, but doesn't everybody? i don't think i am especially hard on wheels.

tonight, after coming home from a short ride, i could hear a spoke rattling and immediately, i thought "oh no, i guess it does need a full rebuild, but this time, it seemed that there was a rear spoke that was very loose.

my question to you experts out there is; should i call up lickbike to have them warranty the wheels via campy, call campy to have them sort it out, or is this just a minor problem that the LBS can handle?

does the wheel just need a re-truing, a full rebuild, or are they defective to have that many spokes come undone and become very, very loose? i've heard great stories about campy wheels that led me to buy them, and this is rather disappointing- especially after riding these less than 1,500 miles. i have a much cheaper set of torelli wheels that have twice as many miles and thus far have held up much better.

what's been your experience with the campy warranty?

endosch2
08-06-2009, 06:46 AM
I read about this on Road Bike review or some other site before just buying a set of Zhondas. Some people say you need to loctite the spokes if you have this problem, but others say it is not a problem at all. Interesting you had it. If you google "campagnolo wheel reviews" you will get to some discussions of them.

r_mutt
08-06-2009, 02:19 PM
thanks- that's what lickbike said when i called them.

off to the LBS...

:cool: