PDA

View Full Version : Drop bar V-Brake levers difference between Tektro and Cane Creek

eddief
08-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Is one brand better than the other or are they the same with different name plates.

I want the highest quality with the best leverage and cable pull range.

RPS
08-05-2009, 04:49 PM
According to Harris they are made by Tektro.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brake-levers-drop.html

BTW, amount of cable pull and leverage are opposing design parameters so you should make sure they match the brakes you plan to use.

austex
08-05-2009, 05:01 PM
A Travel Agent will let you use any standard drop-bar lever you prefer, even brifters.

Marcusaurelius
08-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Tektro and cane creek are very simliar but I would say the rubber hood on the cane creek is a little nicer. I think the finish on the cane creek is a little nicer as well. As someone said, tektro probably makes the cane creek levers.

I did also use the diacompe v-brake levers for some time and thought they were okay as well.

vqdriver
08-05-2009, 07:06 PM
i may be reading it wrong, but it looks like the cane creek and tektro up top of that page are for normal brakes, and there's only one v-brake lever by cane creek.

KevinK
08-05-2009, 10:25 PM
I use the Cane Creek levers on our tandem with XTR V-brakes and Travel Agents. They are the same as Tektro (and Soma). I know that the Cane Creek comes in regular and compact reach. I bought the compact by mistake and they nearly bottomed out on the bars even with the Travel Agents. I swapped to the regular reach levers and they work great. The texture of the Cane Creek covers with the miniature geckos feel better than the Soma/Tektro covers.

eddief
08-06-2009, 12:08 AM
if you get the drop bar vbrake specific levers then you don't need travel agents?

Der_Kruscher
08-06-2009, 12:58 AM
True. I think that some people are confusing the standard and long pull levers. To the best of my knowledge there isn't a Cane Creek version of the RL520 lever.

if you get the drop bar vbrake specific levers then you don't need travel agents?

acorn_user
08-06-2009, 07:45 AM
http://www.canecreek.com/component-other?product=drop-v

I'm sure I've seen a Dia Compe version of these too.

RPS
08-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Correct, and the simpler way to go. In the Harris page they are listed under:

New Model! BRL44 Cane Creek SCR-5V "Æro" levers for direct-pull ("V-style") brakes $59.95
These have longer cable travel than other drop-bar levers,
and are particularly designed for use with
direct-pull cantilever brakes, such as Shimano V-Brakes ®.
All of the SCR features in a V-Type lever!

I’d double check the model number since they don’t seem to agree with previous posting.