PDA

View Full Version : Fast, fat 650B tires: Pari-Moto

sychan
08-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Kirk Pacenti is looking to get enough pre-orders to justify having a batch batch of supple, fast, file tread 650B tires made. If you are interested in a wide, high performance tire that rolls fast on pavement and handles trail riding as well, this may be the ideal tire for you. There's a deadline of Aug 15th to get in 200 pairs of tires on pre-order to make this happen.

Here's the info from his site (http://www.bikelugs.com/store/index.php?strWebAction=item_detail&intItemID=137) :

Dear 650b enthusiasts,

Following the success of my 650b MTB tires many of you have contacted me asking whether or not I would consider making a 650b tire for the road.Initially I was not inclined to make a road tire, but now feel the demand would justify my efforts.

In response to this demand, I have designed the "dream tire" many of you have been asking for. The Pari-Moto tire will be a high performance, 650x38b tire with a light, supple casing and fine file tread pattern. This tire is sure to be lighter, faster and smoother rolling than any other 650x38b tire currently available. If I were to start production on the mould tooling today, the tires should land in the US sometime in late November. With the support of all the 650b list members the Pari-Moto can become a reality very quickly.

However, I feel I should be explicit in what I mean by 'support' so that we
are all on the same page. If I am to produce this tire, I must pre-sell a
minimum of 200 pairs of tires by August 15th, 2009 to cover the tooling
costs. If you believe that this tire should be produced, if you are willing
to place an order in advance, and if you can wait six months for delivery,
we'll all be rolling around on new tires before the year is out.

The tires will initially be sold in pairs only for $118.00 per pair and be
shipped USPS Priority Flat Rate service for an additional $12.00 anywhere in
the continental US. Foreign orders will incur additional shipping fees.
If you have any further questions about the tire, please do nothesitate to ask.

Here's a followup message about the orders from Peter Weigle[link] (http://search.bikelist.org/getmsg.asp?Filename=650b.10908.0029.eml) :

Steve,
I enjoyed your comment about the trimlines,
I have ridden trimlines for many miles and they are fine, they were even considered "legendary" for a while as they might have been the best 650B tire available a few years ago.

But that's like saying my relationship with my wife is "fine",,, as opposed to wow, she's great and I love that girl more and more each day!

Leaving the trimlines behind and hopping on a lighter, faster and more comfortable tire is a great thing, it makes every bike feel that much better and puts a little snap into your ride.

That's the feeling I get when I'm on the shaved tires, my bike feels that much better with the reduced tread thickness, the ride has an added "zing" to it.

Kirk is trying to capture that same "zing" in his proposed Pari-Moto tire, we've had many conversations about tire weight, tread thickness, my riding impressions of the shaved tires compared to the full treaded versions etc...

Wouldn't it be reassuring to know that in a year or so we might have the choice of several great (not just "fine") 650b by 38 mm tires to choose from. (Jan mentioned that Grand Bois might have a new one in 2010.)

Kirk said his tire could be available this year,,,that is if we can get off our tails and commit to make this happen.

I would think Bicycle Quarterly would enjoy the chance to compare the Pari-Moto to the new Grand Bois offering.
Having a few more 650B choices would improve the confidence level of new buyer's considering 650B for the first time and assure the rest of us a good healthy supply of tires for our bikes.

Orders are filling in, but Kirk said we have a way to go before he'll pull the trigger.
I know many of you want to ride this proposed tire, encourage your 650B friends to consider ordering.

Sorry this sounds like a hustle, but if we as a group don't act SOON, this won't happen.

peter

And another message asking whether this tire will be a special event tire or a fast general purpose tire[link] (http://search.bikelist.org/getmsg.asp?Filename=650b.10908.0038.eml) :
Steve, all,
I believe Kirk said he will be on business in Taiwan for a few days.... thought I might be able to help.

Based on our conversations the Pair-Motto will have a nice file tread, will be lighter than the Col DO or Orson, but should be just as durable as a similar treaded 700c version which millions of people ride everyday and think nothing of it.
I have been riding my shaved Haters on rough loose gravel and have had no problems and they have a shade less rubber thickness than the proposed Pair-Motto.
The Pair-Motto would make a much better event tire than the Col DO or Orson, but it was intended to be used as a great all around road tire.

If I missed something I'm sure Kirk will add to this when he's back or maybe between flights.....

Best,
ptr

If you ride 650B, or are considering getting a 650B bike, please consider pre-ordering a set of tires to help get the ball rolling.

PacNW2Ford
08-06-2009, 01:18 AM
Already in!

woolly
08-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Black sidewall, or tan/brown?

Kirk Pacenti
08-12-2009, 09:39 AM
Black sidewall, or tan/brown?

The first run will have tan, but will do subsequent runs with black sidewalls as well. :banana:

Cheers,

KP

dauwhe
08-12-2009, 06:51 PM
I've ordered two pairs!

Dave

bfd
08-21-2009, 07:11 PM
Kirk Pacenti is looking to get enough pre-orders to justify having a batch batch of supple, fast, file tread 650B tires made. If you are interested in a wide, high performance tire that rolls fast on pavement and handles trail riding as well, this may be the ideal tire for you. There's a deadline of Aug 15th to get in 200 pairs of tires on pre-order to make this happen.

Here's the info from his site (http://www.bikelugs.com/store/index.php?strWebAction=item_detail&intItemID=137) :

Here's a followup message about the orders from Peter Weigle[link] (http://search.bikelist.org/getmsg.asp?Filename=650b.10908.0029.eml) :

And another message asking whether this tire will be a special event tire or a fast general purpose tire[link] (http://search.bikelist.org/getmsg.asp?Filename=650b.10908.0038.eml) :

If you ride 650B, or are considering getting a 650B bike, please consider pre-ordering a set of tires to help get the ball rolling.

So, did the 200 pairs of tires get pre-ordered? I'm curious as to how big is the 650b movement. Is it mainly mtb (27.5") or is there really that much demand for road 650b?

For example, 650b seems to make sense for making older "racing" style bikes more useful, i.e., you can take basically any old racer like a Masi or Colnago, put on 650b wheels and run fatter tires that are 32 or 35mm wide.

But, is there really that many people demanding 650b or is it just another fading fad?

eddief
08-21-2009, 07:27 PM
think if you google 650b you'll get an answer about the size of the market.

i'd say, small fun niche in road and maybe strengthening a bit in off road.