PDA

View Full Version : OT: Big Boy Horses...

William
08-05-2009, 05:14 AM
So can anyone tell which breed horse will hold my weight, is stiff yet compliant, tracks like it's on rails, and has great torsional rigidity? :)

Ok, I’m sort of kidding here. My wife has been taking our children to a local stable to go on trail rides and to learn to ride horses. My wife spent her younger years on a ranch in Oregon before they were forced to sell it…due to market ups and downs her father was involved in. Anyway, she has always missed those days riding and recently decided to start this activity with our kids, as well as herself. She’s really enjoying it and she says both kids are naturals, esp. our daughter. I would love to join them but the stables have a 200 lb limit for riding their horses. That bites for me, but I’m thinking there has to be a horse I can ride out there. Do you think The Bud folks would let me barrow one of their Clydesdales? :D

So, I know there are some knowledgeable horse folks here. Besides the obvious Clydesdale, what type of horses are the Big Leg Emma’s of the horse world? I know that most horses are Shetland ponies compared to me, but there has to be some Big Boy horses out there.

Thank you,
William

Kevan
08-05-2009, 05:44 AM
Look for a draft or any other large stocky animal. I'm no expert, but there is a lot of info available by just doing a google.

William
08-05-2009, 05:52 AM
Look for a draft or any other large stocky animal. I'm no expert, but there is a lot of info available by just doing a google.

You're right!!! This guy might work for me. I found him on Google so it must be true!! ;) :)

http://dancull.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/photo_1234276770455-1-0.jpg

William

ahumblecycler
08-05-2009, 06:04 AM
I don't know what type of horses they have for that stupid weight limit. If they are ponies then I would say the weight limit is high. For a a horse of 15 hands or more, 200 lbs is not a big deal. Go for a Tennessee Walking horse. The horse are strong and a nice gate. I suspect the area will only have quarter horses which are typically used for barrel racing and trail rides.

Oh, and I would go to a different stable. I would not trust them to secure the under strap on my saddle if they are lobbying that weight limit.

davidlee
08-05-2009, 06:26 AM
Growing up we had horses and what you are looking for is a Quarter horse . Perfect for trail rides, even tempered , and always up for the occasional sprint sign :) .
They are built like tanks and IMHO are the only way to go.
have fun.
david