PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting the Florida bug again....

saab2000
01-28-2005, 04:17 PM
So I am dreaming of Florida again..... specifically the area between Orlando and Ocala. This is, AFAIK, the only area in Florida with any sort of gradients. Can anyone comment on whether or not it is a sane place to ride?

Keith A. has in the past mentioned riding on A1A and that was cool when I was in Vero Beach, but on the coast there did not seem to be much other than A1A. How 'bout further north, towards Jacksonville?

The bottom line is that I can live more or less where I want because I can fly for free, or nearly free in a worst case scenario. I have stretches with several consecutive days off and at this time of year especially, Florida is calling me.

I suppose that I would be more of a candidate for Central Florida or Northern Florida, but I really should live within 60 minutes of a large airport, like Jacksonville or Orlando.

Anyone have a feel for the ridability of the area between Orlando (out of the touristy areas) and Ocala? I don't mind living as far away as 50 miles from Orlando because I would only drive it a 4-5 times per month.

CalfeeFly
01-28-2005, 04:31 PM
In a like vein does anyone know parts of Florida with either bike lanes, wide shoulders or other bike friendly features.

I spoke with someone in Calfornia and he said in Orange County most every road has a bike lane. He rides to work everyday.

I'd love to know about somewhere in Florida like that or even the southeastern US if it is warmer than here, sunny and dry.

coylifut
01-28-2005, 04:38 PM
So I am dreaming of Florida again..... specifically the area between Orlando and Ocala. This is, AFAIK, the only area in Florida with any sort of gradients. Can anyone comment on whether or not it is a sane place to ride?

Keith A. has in the past mentioned riding on A1A and that was cool when I was in Vero Beach, but on the coast there did not seem to be much other than A1A. How 'bout further north, towards Jacksonville?

The bottom line is that I can live more or less where I want because I can fly for free, or nearly free in a worst case scenario. I have stretches with several consecutive days off and at this time of year especially, Florida is calling me.

I suppose that I would be more of a candidate for Central Florida or Northern Florida, but I really should live within 60 minutes of a large airport, like Jacksonville or Orlando.

Anyone have a feel for the ridability of the area between Orlando (out of the touristy areas) and Ocala? I don't mind living as far away as 50 miles from Orlando because I would only drive it a 4-5 times per month.

Are you saying you could live anywhere in the country as long as it's not too far from a major airport?

pale scotsman
01-28-2005, 04:54 PM
I guess Pensacola isn't a major airport, but NW Florida is great for biking. Miles and miles of rolling hills, country roads, decent shoulders, and some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet.

You just have to get North of I-10 to get out of the beach traffic. RA could chime in but then again part of me doesn't want everyone to know how good it is down here.

As far as flying gigs a buddy that flew P3's in the Navy flew for AA out of Dulles until a little after 9-11. He then took a private job flying a Gulfstream V for some dude in Palm Beach. Great money and a cool lifestyle if you can get it.

Keith A
01-28-2005, 05:12 PM
I would suggest you look into the west side of Orlando, in the Clermont area. There are some great hills and lightly traveled roads -- however, Orlando is spreading out pretty quickly. This is where we had hoped to have a winter gathering of the forum, but there didn't seem to be enough interest.

You could also look into the Gainesville area, it has some gradients but not as steep as the ones in Clermont. The town is bike friendly because of all the college students who commute by bike.

NW & NE FL are also pretty good and there are some hills in those areas as well. However, be prepared for some cooler winters as compared to what you experienced in Vero Beach.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll be happy to help. I've lived in Jax, Palatka, G'ville, Orlando, and Melbourne.

saab2000
01-28-2005, 05:14 PM
Coylifut,

I can live anywhere on earth, as long as I get to work on time. No joke. Most airline pilots do not live where they work.

I have thought about living in Europe again, but I am not senior enough to hold a good enough schedule yet that I can get proper time off for this.

I currently am based in Washington at Dulles airport. At the end of February I will have 7 consecutive days off and it is my intention to go to Switzerland during that week.

I have an apartment in Leesburg, VA, but have not found it a very good place to ride unfortunately.

I work, on average, about 16 or 17 days per month. Most of my trips are 3 or 4 day trips which start at about 0700 and finish at about 2100 on the 3rd or 4th day. Sometimes we have what is called a "commutable" trip. This would be one which starts later, say around noon or finishes earlier, say in the afternoon and allows us to either commute in or out on the same day of the trip.

Frequently I have 3 or 4 days in a row off and the question I have is whether or not I should live in Florida.

I moved back from many years in Europe in November of 2003 and have been sort of a vagabond since then, spending 3 months in Vero Beach and most of my off days in either Appleton, WI or Minneapolis. I am planning on moving to Minneapolis when a specific house comes up for sale, but I am also considering Florida for its year-round ridability.

I work in the airline industry and can "jumpseat" for free on most airlines. I am not granted cockpit access on most, but on my own and all affiliated airlines I am. But I can ride free most of the time.

I am writing this in Leesburg. This morning I commuted in from Appleton where I spent the past 3 days visiting my parents. I start an easy 2-day trip tomorrow which will involve flying to Kansas City and back to Dulles and then overnighting in Toronto. I get back on Sunday at about 22:30. Then I have 3 days off.

If I lived in Florida I could ride those 3 days in shorts!

saab2000
01-28-2005, 05:19 PM
Keith A,

Thanks again for the tips. I know that living north of Orlando would involve wearing tights on and off for a few months. Not a big deal really. Frankly, Gainseville is not really mega far from Jacksonville and living on the NE side would probably work.

I think next time I have some time off I will go down and check out some of those places.

Keith A
01-28-2005, 05:21 PM
If you are ever in the Orlando area, give me a ring. Assuming I don't have anything major going on at work, I'd be happy to drive over and ride the Clermont area with you. We might even be able to get a couple others to join us.

rePhil
01-28-2005, 05:28 PM
Just North of Tampa. Both Tampa and St Pete airports nearby. It used to be home of the Darby road race.