PDA

View Full Version : Help please

jatx
01-28-2005, 02:03 PM
I'm new to the board, so first off - hello to you all.

I'd appreciate some equipment suggestions on a new bike I'm building. I began junior racing when I was 12, raced USCF very seriously until I was 17, then switched to ultra-distance triathlons and the occasional RAAM qualifier. However, I am now 32 years old and have not been on a bike in almost ten years. I do not plan to race, but will probably ride 5-6 centuries per year and train 3-4 times per week.

I'm ordering a CIII because I've wanted a Colorado since before I could drive, and will probably put a mix of Campy Chorus and Record on the bike. What are your recommendations for

Wheelsets for daily riding (clinchers only)
Stem/bar combinations
Pedals

I'm 5'9", 180 if that helps. Looking online, it seems that a lot has changed in these areas. All sorts of crazy wheels are available (yeah, I feel old) and all the stems look like they're made for a mountain bike! I prefer a somewhat "traditional" look. As for pedals, I'm inclined to just go buy some more from Look, since that's what I used to use, but there seem to be some newfangled options there, as well.

Thank you. :beer:

Sandy
01-28-2005, 07:04 PM
It's his first post. He needs help!

Sandy

Matt Barkley
01-28-2005, 07:49 PM
Wheelset - Campy Proton wheels. Bombproof/nicely made
Bar Stem - Deda Newton 26.0 stem (proper length should be....) with Deda 215 non-anatomical bars (proper width)
Pedals - Look Keos

yeehawfactor
01-28-2005, 08:04 PM
dunno about the keos. we've had an issue with larger riders breaking the cleats. it's happened 3 times since we've had keos vs. 0 times for spdsl. personal preference i guess

Blastinbob
01-28-2005, 09:01 PM
You can pick up a some "Serotta" handlebars, made by ITM, on ebay for $29.00. Deda, Itm make nice stems. Get a good set of handbuilt wheels, you can do a search for wheelbuilders on this site or I can recommend the neutrons ( have 2 sets ), made by campagnolo, I've tried the eurus (a little stiff) but not the protons.

PBWrench
01-28-2005, 09:52 PM
So many options, so few hours to ride. Re: stem, fit is the most important issue and your stem will help you get proper extension. Just pay attention to degree of rise and make sure your stem and bar width match up (i.e., don't mix standard and oversize). Re: pedals, if knee pain is an issue consider Speedplay X series (unlimited float) or Zeros (adjustable float). Otherwise go with what's familiar and gives you confidence in in/out. Re: wheels, Ksyriums are stiff and bomb-proof. Custom wheels built up on Mavic Open Pros on Record/Chorus or Hugi are great. Treat yourself to good tires (Veloflex Paves, Gommitalia Targas or maybe Michelin Pros) and a great saddle (I'm a big fan of Fizik Aliante). Most importantly -- enjoy the ride!

Peter
01-28-2005, 10:12 PM
Forget the "crazy wheels". You want wheels like you remember as a junior-rims, hubs, and spokes where if you break any of them you can walk into your local bike shop and they'll have replacements. It's way too difficult to stock all the weird rims, spokes, and hubs for the boutique stuff. 32 hole, three cross wheels are all you'll ever need.

If you had no complaints with Look pedals back then, you'll have no complaints now. The new/different pedal designs are just different flavors of the same fruit.

As for the stem/bar choices: You prefer the "traditional" stuff, but threadless and oversized have taken over the market since your junior years. 1" quill stems are a dying breed, so your parts choices will be severely limited. Be assimilated, and accept the oversized steerer standard; just stay away from the superlight/superexpensive stems that require torque wrenches to tighten the bolts-remember the simple days where you just reefed on the bolts till they felt tight?-that's what you want, and that's what you'll find with the lower tier, yet perfectly adequate stuff.

Same with the bars. Anatomic bars have dominated the market but I find the less "anatomic" the drops are, the more positions my hands have on them. The trend in the past decade has been towards wider bars so consider 42's or 44's for someone your size.

jatx
01-29-2005, 09:04 AM
Thanks, all, for your suggestions. I'll post pics once I get this bad boy all put together.

Peter - you're from my old neck of the woods. I grew up racing for Guy D'Allessandro at Amity Cycles and then George ****erson at Alpha Lo in Wallingford. Know those guys?

Jeff N.
01-29-2005, 10:25 AM
Wheels: Record Hubs laced 3 cross to Mavic CXP-33's or Open Pros. 32 hole.
Bar-Stem: Anything ITM. Aluminum only.
Pedals: LOOK. Jeff N.

wheelworks
01-29-2005, 11:07 AM
Wheels- Mavic Ksyrium Elites
Bar-Stem- Stella Azzurra espresso stem, Brianza H-bar
Pedals- Time RXS 2005

Kevan
01-29-2005, 12:21 PM
a suitable long enough stem so as not to offend certain members of this forum and... why not take a modern twist and consider some carbon bars? Been using my Easton bars since '01 w/o a hiccup. Pedals, keep it simple, speedplays, bebops, looks. You don't have to pay top drawer for stompers! :D

Peter
01-29-2005, 08:25 PM
Thanks, all, for your suggestions. I'll post pics once I get this bad boy all put together.

Peter - you're from my old neck of the woods. I grew up racing for Guy D'Allessandro at Amity Cycles and then George ****erson at Alpha Lo in Wallingford. Know those guys?

Yeah, indeed I know those guys! Guy D'Aniello is still in business and doing wonderfully. I suffered on his wheel in many a race and could all but wave goodbye come the sprint. George ****erson closed his tremendously popular shop a bunch of years ago, quite suddenly I might add and with little explanation. From what I gathered, I think it was due to frivolous lawsuits.

George told me of one cyclist who was suing the him/the business because after attending a mountain biking skills class at the shop, the cyclist went mountain biking up at Mt. Snow or some such place in Vermont and got injured. They claimed they were improperly taught...

Wallingford Bicycle has taken over as the center of cycling for Wallingford, selling Trek and Felt and hosting weekly rides, both on and off-road. Quite a move up for them since they formerly were just a kid's bike/skateboard shop.
Check them out here: http://wallingfordbicycle.com/site/intro.cfm