PDA

View Full Version : Custom shoes D2 or Rocket 7

Hank Scorpio
08-03-2009, 07:07 PM
After having my second ganglion cyst aspirated in three months my podiatrist is recommending switching shoes. I was thinking of going the full custom route but for $1500 the rocket 7's look sorta cheesy. I know several people on here probably have gone with a full custom shoe. Any tips or regrets? I currently use the specialized pro carbons but they are pretty beat after 4 years of heavy use. I tried northwaves and sidis but neither really fit that well. I have a wide fore foot and high instep.

Dekonick
08-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Do a searchof the forum - this has been hashed many times. I like my D2's but my feet are funky. Never tried rocket 7's...

Don is great to work with (D2)

gregclimbs
08-04-2009, 12:58 AM
+1 on the D2s....

g

scrubadub
08-04-2009, 04:30 AM
I had an old pair of Rocket7s that served me well for a long time. When they cracked I decided to try the D2s and I've been very happy with them. The customer service is great and I think the overall build quality is a lot better (at least versus my old shoes). A bit heavier though but I think they'll last for quite a long time.

Climb01742
08-04-2009, 07:19 AM
D2 because they do both the shoe and the footbed. without the footbed, it's like getting a bike without wheels--pretty and it may fit but won't perform to it's max. :D dealing with don is a pleasure and the dude cares.

MattTuck
08-04-2009, 07:45 AM
I have a similar foot shape, and I've never really been "happy" with a shoe.

Keep us posted on how it works out, I might just follow in your foot-steps.

:rolleyes:

dsteady
08-04-2009, 08:05 AM
D2 because they do both the shoe and the footbed. without the footbed, it's like getting a bike without wheels--pretty and it may fit but won't perform to it's max. :D dealing with don is a pleasure and the dude cares.

Rocket 7 also do the footbed.

I have full custom Rocket 7s and they are one of the better investments I've made for cycling. I've always had hard feet to fit (I even switched from alpine to Tele skiing basically so I wouldn't have to fight the pain of alpine boots anymore, plus I love tele skiing).

However, I do not think Rocket 7 has good customer service. I waited about 4 mos for mine and they got the fit backward -- left shoe was the length of my right food and vice versa. When I sent them back in to correct this I had to go to the back of the queue all over again, which I thought was pretty obnoxious, considering I lived in Seattle at the time and I could have ridden my bike to the factory. In the end it took about 8 months to get them right.

The short verdict is this: now that I have them I love them; when I need a new pair, I'll be going to D2.

I'm curious, why $1,500? Mine were $750 for full custom 3 years ago.

dn'l

Walter
08-04-2009, 08:17 AM
I have not owned a pair of custom shoes but have several friends here in Tucson with the D2 shoes who rave about them. Bill Peterson at We Do Feet does custom orthotics and distributes D2 shoes.

I have a pair of his orthotics and they have really helped me and my riding. Apparently the D2 shoes take the benefits of the orthotic to another level.

Walter

http://www.wedofeet.com/

jbrainin
08-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Rocket 7…
I'm curious, why $1,500? Mine were $750 for full custom 3 years ago.

dn'l

Rocket 7 has discontinued all models except for the full-blown custom shoe with custom orthotic for $1500. I guess that whoever was Rocket 7 is moving onto new ventures and has chosen to price the shoes at such an exorbitant price to discourage people from ordering them and to be certain that he/they will never be overwhelmed by too many orders.

Or not.

David Kirk
08-04-2009, 10:29 AM
D2

dave

djg21
08-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Rocket 7 has discontinued all models except for the full-blown custom shoe with custom orthotic for $1500. I guess that whoever was Rocket 7 is moving onto new ventures and has chosen to price the shoes at such an exorbitant price to discourage people from ordering them and to be certain that he/they will never be overwhelmed by too many orders.

Or not.

I had heard rumors that Rocket7 was no longer in business, but was unable to confirm this.

In any event, the D2 shoes are top notch, and as many here have said, Don is great to deal with. He certainly will be able to help you with any peculiar fit issues you may have.

Special K
08-04-2009, 05:06 PM
As a D2 customer, be sure you understand their fit philosophy before you buy and I would highly making the trip to Golden if possible. Don believes that shoes that fit like socks is the optimal fit. That means your toes will touch the ends of the shoes.

The best part about the shoes is the valgus (I think that is what it is called). That is the angle by which your feet naturally hang. It improves performance to the pedals.

They are like anything custom, get to know the builder before you buy.

Enjoy them!

djg21
08-04-2009, 09:10 PM
As a D2 customer, be sure you understand their fit philosophy before you buy and I would highly making the trip to Golden if possible. Don believes that shoes that fit like socks is the optimal fit. That means your toes will touch the ends of the shoes.

The best part about the shoes is the valgus (I think that is what it is called). That is the angle by which your feet naturally hang. It improves performance to the pedals.

They are like anything custom, get to know the builder before you buy.

Enjoy them!

If you go to Golden, you won't find much, aside from maybe some bad beer. :)

I think you meant Eagle, which is in the western end of the Vail Valley.

dsteady
08-04-2009, 09:40 PM

Or not.

Damn. That's steep.

woolly
08-04-2009, 09:53 PM
I love my D2's. Very good customer experience, start to finish.

Hank Scorpio
08-05-2009, 08:19 AM
It sounds like D2's are the only viable custom option. Thanks for all the replies.

James

Lincoln
08-05-2009, 01:21 PM
If you go to Golden, you won't find much, aside from maybe some bad beer. :)

I think you meant Eagle, which is in the western end of the Vail Valley.

What's the matter with the beer? http://www.gcbrewery.com/ (http://) :beer:

djg21
08-05-2009, 02:47 PM
What's the matter with the beer? http://www.gcbrewery.com/ (http://) :beer:

Your link is no good. But I assume that it is not one to Coors or a Coors subsidary, in which case it would be fine with me! :beer:

Nevermind! I got the link to work.

Charles M
08-05-2009, 07:32 PM
It sounds like D2's are the only viable custom option. Thanks for all the replies.

James

I would have said that any time in the past...

Rocket 7 were simply not going to last building shoes like they did. When you try and mould a shoe sole to a foot and there's a problem with the shoe, you have to make a whole new shoe... And when you have a sole that's as thin and lacking in durability as the typical 7's, even when it's right, it's a matter of time. They didn't make it work out. 1500 bucks sounds right in order to both sell the shoe and take care of the problems. Personally I would rather simply have a better shoe.

In the mean time, D2 has simply kept growing and making tweaks to an already very good product that is far easier to service and support. Beyond servicing, the product is simply very good (durable very well built).

D2 are the best money I have ever spent in Cycling kit...