PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Compatibility

Sandy
01-28-2005, 01:37 PM
This may have been asked before- Can you replace a Shimano Ultegra 9 speed crankset by a Dura-Ace 10 speed crankset? I think that you can and I think I know someone who did that, but I would want to know for sure.

Thanks.

Shimano Spinning Serotta Sandy

Jeff Weir
01-28-2005, 01:51 PM
Another compatibility question...I'm running DuraAce 9 speed. What do I really need to convert to 10 speed? Do I really need to change my crankset and deraileurs?

keno
01-28-2005, 02:50 PM
Jeff, here's the kit and a caveat.
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Dura-Ace+10-Speed+Upgrade+Kit&vendorCode=SHIM&major=1&minor=5, for example. I would want to know from folks who have done it whether your existing cranks will work well. I believe that I have read that some changing of the chain rings may be necessary as some have had the chain either jump off or get stuck between the rings.

Sandy, sure you can change the cranks but you may need a new BB. Isn't that bike a triple? If so, I expect you will also need a new front derailleur. The DA kit probably works for you, as well. I don't know if there is an ultegra kit out there.

To you both, why bother?

keno

Sandy
01-28-2005, 02:58 PM
My bikes are doubles- 53/39 and 12-27. I may be purchasing a 10 speed crankset with longer crankarms. My crankset on the CSi is original and in very poor cosmetic condition. So if I get the 10 speed crankset, I will simply replace my 9 speed with the one with the shorter crankarm 10 speed. Then again, if I am brave, I might go to a single gear for my CSi.

With one cog and one gear upstairs,

Single Sandy

BarryG
01-28-2005, 03:06 PM
Can you replace a Shimano Ultegra 9 speed crankset by a Dura-Ace 10 speed crankset? I think that you can
Assuming you mean the DA10 7800 crank, I also think you can. Note that you're also going to be replacing the Ultegra bottom bracket with the DA10 integral spindle and a set of 7800 bb cups (which you'll need to purchase separately from the DA10 crank).

Barry

Ti Designs
01-28-2005, 03:31 PM
The answer on the crank question is yes, the cranks use the same gap between chainrings and the same chainline. The chainrings are different but the bolt circle is still 130mm so you can swap things around.

The question of converting to 10 speed is more complex. You would want new chainrings at very least, but you might want to be sitting down when you get the price. Neither the front derailleur nor the rear derailleur are listed as forwards compatible, but as they stopped making the 9-speed rear derailleur we have sold the 10-speed version as a replacement and it works fine. I don't see why it wouldn't work in the other direction - there I go pissing off the Shimano gods again... The rest of the stuff is a no-brainer, shifters, chain, cassette...

If you go by the original Dura-Ace 10 speed compatibility chart you would have to replace the shifters, derailleurs, cranks, hubs, brakes, headset and seatpost - for some reason I just don't trust that.

keno
01-28-2005, 03:33 PM
Looks to me that you will be spending something on the order of $1,200+, once all is said and done, to go to 10 speed with new cranks even if you buy online and get some friendly help with the installation. Staying with 9 speed you should be able to get new cranks installed for about 10-25% of that, depending on Ultegra or DA, and I think DA may be the only choice if you are thinking of 180mm.

keno

coylifut
01-28-2005, 03:54 PM
A club mate just did this conversion. DA 9 to 10: Shifters, cassette, chain, inner chain ring. The shifting was suspect until he changed the inner chain ring. The mechs work flawlessly.