PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Bike Gruppo & Computer OS

GuyGadois
08-03-2009, 10:17 AM
On one of my lonely rides this weekend in the middle of nowhere I got to thinking of a silly poll. I wonder if more Mac users ride Campy and Shimano riders use a PC. Am I correct? I view Campy as the Apple of cycling - smaller market share, more expensive and more stylish.

Just wondering if my thought of a correlation between bike gruppo and computer OS is correct...

Which Bike Component Group (primary bike) do you use and which computer OS do you use?

:beer:

WeakRider
08-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Very interesting! I don't want to start a flame war here, but I think you might be on the money about the Mac/Campagnolo connection. Both have insanely good branding.

I'm a Shimano/PC guy myself, although I'd love to try SRAM sometime.

paulrad9
08-03-2009, 10:30 AM
What, no Linux options??

jbrainin
08-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Linux: the recumbent bike of OS's :D

thwart
08-03-2009, 10:35 AM
We have Apple computers still being used (iBook laptop) 9 years after purchase.

Yep, a lot like Campy that way.

Shimano seems more disposable. That said, I have a 8 spd 600 group with STI's that seems built like a tank. But even that cannot be rebuilt once it goes down.

paulrad9
08-03-2009, 10:36 AM

You may be onto something!

William
08-03-2009, 10:37 AM
ShimanoMac here. :banana:

William

GuyGadois
08-03-2009, 10:39 AM
ShimanoMac here. :banana:

William

I'm guessing that will be a rare combo.

flydhest
08-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Wow. I'm a Campy/Mac guy (only recently a Mac person, just over a year) and I would have thought it would be a less common combo. I think of Campy as old-school style, perhaps at times, over function, with the "chunky" shifting and such. I guess the smooth, no fuss, easy to use image of Shimano and Macs sort of seemed like they would go together. The poll suggests otherwise.

The downside, I'm not as idiosyncratic as I thought.

WeakRider
08-03-2009, 10:47 AM

Probably, but aren't Shimano and Mac kind of similar in that they care about innovation while their competitors just like to add numbers to what they already have?

nahtnoj
08-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Shimano seems more, ah, accessible to me, and in that sense is Mac-esque.

I'm a Shimano/Mac guy, FWIW.

vqdriver
08-03-2009, 11:08 AM

HAHAHAHAHA nice.

campy / pc myself.
campy & mac both = perceived exclusivity.

djg
08-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Pro bike riders use what they are paid to use.

Pro computer users -- I reckon in some sense that's most of us -- also use what they are paid to use. Sure, I'm not paid to endorse a given system and I don't have a contract saying that I cannot use a different system (mac, windows, none-of-the-above) in my free time at home or parked in a coffee shop. But for lots and lots of folks, there's some system favored or required at work and the same system is used at home either because (a) one never goes home, (b) one uses a work-supplied machine all the time, or (c) it's just easier to use the same thing. It's not that I think that my choice of campagnolo components says anything important about me -- it doesn't -- it's just that it's a less constrained choice than my choice of home machine/operating system combo platter.

Dave B
08-03-2009, 11:42 AM
This is great.

I love Mac, they work...all of the time and my work PC (school teacher) is constantly on the fritz.

I have finally gone back to Campy. I like the way the hoods (10spd) feel in my hands...I also like how it looks. As far as performance, I am not being paid to like one over the other so all the drivel about smoothness and the stuff people try to convince others with means little to me.

I don't find myself feeling better for using one or the other, but I like how Mac stuff works so seamlessly with each other.

GuyGadois
08-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Are SRAM users computer-illiterate? :rolleyes:

-GG-

ThomasRZ
08-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Are SRAM users computer-illiterate? :rolleyes:

-GG-

Seems to be.

Anyway, I'm a Campy/Mac guy. But I'm forced to use Windows at work. :(

johnnymossville
08-03-2009, 12:24 PM
SRAM/Mac

fiamme red
08-03-2009, 12:28 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=57726&stc=1

johnnymossville
08-03-2009, 12:37 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=57726&stc=1

Nice one! Always loved Calvin and Hobbes.

johnnymossville
08-03-2009, 12:43 PM
You just aren't dedicated until you have your bike's logo tattooed on yourself someplace.

Karin Kirk
08-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Are SRAM users computer-illiterate?

Apparently, because I have SRAM on my primary bike, but clicked the Shimano/PC vote before it dawned on me that's not what I use! :crap:

acorn_user
08-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Use Campagnolo and Windows atm. But I grew up with Commodore Workbench on the Amiga and RiscOS on the Acorn Risc PC. RiscOS was way better than Windows at the time, just had expensive hardware and too little support.

Ti Designs
08-03-2009, 01:10 PM
I'm a few generations behind in both. Shimano 9-speed and Mac OS-9...

dave thompson
08-03-2009, 01:12 PM
I'm a few generations behind in both. Shimano 9-speed and Mac OS-9...
Aren't you still dead? I mean this may prove it.

dnades
08-03-2009, 02:40 PM
shimano/mac. Although I use campy ut cranks.

Ti Designs
08-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Aren't you still dead? I mean this may prove it.

Nope. Was dead for 15 years, I'm much better now.

On bikes, 9-speed is far better. I'm going on my 7th season with my Dura-Ace 9-speed stuff, it still works perfectly, it costs less in replacement parts and I'm really not seeing much of a loss in performance.

I don't use a computer for anything that my old Mac running OS-9 can't handle, so upgrading would cost a lot of money and frustrate the hell out of me at the same time. If I wanted to pay a lot of money and get a lot of frustration I would get a girlfriend long before I got a new computer.

sg8357
08-03-2009, 03:02 PM
My bestest bike has Campy ergo, but Shimano hubs and cassette.
My 2nd bike has Suntour bar cons, Campy front mech, Shimano rear mech,
Phil wheels.

Computers, Dell WinXP laptop, Mac G5, HP netbook, Apple I-Touch.
All freebies, nice thing about computers old ones are worthless,
everyone wants this weeks model.

avalonracing
08-03-2009, 03:10 PM

Looks like Shimano/Mac is as likely as Campy/Mac. At least at the 81 Votes marker.

Later we'll have the iPhone/Ti bike - Blackberry/Carbon thread.

palincss
08-03-2009, 03:18 PM
What, no Linux options??

+1

fiamme red
08-03-2009, 03:31 PM
What, no Linux options??Interestingly, Richard Stallman doesn't even know how to ride a bike.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/articles/the_shaggy_god/page1

When on the road, he carries exactly (and inexplicably) 52 pounds in his rolling suitcase, including an air mattress (to counter any hard beds), books, chocolate, tea, and roasted nuts. He lives off the meager stipends and paltry honoraria that come with his trips. "I've avoided the big expenses in life," he says proudly. He owns no real estate, no car, no TV, not even a bicycle (which he doesn't know how to ride). At this point, his most valuable possession is probably the laptop he received for free from the One Laptop Per Child initiative that grew out of MIT's Media Lab. He is generally assumed to live in his cramped office at MIT; Stallman's homemade business card—which he calls his "pleasure card"—gives the room as his address. He has use of it, at no charge, despite his lack of any official university appointment, because of his long associations and close colleagues there.

allegretto
08-03-2009, 07:12 PM
i'm shocked that 60% use Campy (i use it but i'm an anachronism in many ways).

i thought the smart guys use Shimano and now SRAM (which for reasons i cannot fathom is pronounced "schram")

gee...

old_school
08-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Paul (1x1) / Windows

MattTuck
08-03-2009, 08:04 PM

I nominate this as the quote of the month, atleast.

Can I get an amen?

Dekonick
08-03-2009, 08:35 PM
What about linux and SRAM?

PacNW2Ford
08-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Shimano + Mac

I'll have to think about "why".

allegretto
08-03-2009, 09:10 PM
I nominate this as the quote of the month, atleast.

Can I get an amen?

amen brother, i nearly passed diet dr. pepper thru my nose when i read it

bob the nailer
08-03-2009, 09:12 PM
I too am amazed at the number of campy users- I am a campy mac myself. If you try either you won't ever go back. Actually I don't really think that there are more campy users, just more campy users who can read.

Dekonick
08-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Tried mac - still a windows / linux guy.

The only reason mac doesnt have big virus issues like windows is because there arent enough users for the virus folks to focus on them (same for linux)

Windows 7 is going to be a nice addition.

Nothing wrong with Mac - I just don't like the 'feel'

MattTuck
08-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Nothing wrong with Mac - I just don't like the 'feel'

Mac hardware ('specially the laptops) are damn sexy. Can't argue with that, Regardless of which OS you like.

Steevo
08-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Shimano & Mac for me.

As nice as Campy is, for me Shimano does the job at a far lower price. Campy may do that same job better, but Shimano works great for me.

As for the home computer, I'm 2 years into Mac ownership after years of PCs. I find the upcharge for the Mac to be well worth it. Apple's OS is smooth & elegant and the iLife software has unleashed much creativity. Its fun to use. While a PC can do all of the same stuff, its not as fun, and I have no plans to go back.

Next up, Nikon vs. Canon? (I have one of each)

avalonracing
08-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Is it? Can it be?
With 132 votes in: There are more Campy guys are PC instead of Mac and more Shimano people are Mac than on PC.

I should have taken odds on those early bets.

Bob Ross
08-05-2009, 07:38 AM
My primary bike is Shimano, and my primary computer is...

uh, wait, how do I decide which one is my primary computer? If it's the one I spend the most time on, it's my PC. But if it's the one I enjoy working on most, the one that has contributed the most to my productivity, the one I am most comfortable with, the one I've been using the longest, and the one that I absolutely could not live without, it's definitely my Mac.

To further complicate this thread's data mining: my backup bike is Sakae/SunTour. And my next bike will almost definitely be Campy.

fiamme red
08-05-2009, 09:25 AM
My daily commuter bike has no Campagnolo, Shimano, or SRAM, except a Dura-Ace lockring.