PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on the inner workings of the LA and AC battle

gman
08-03-2009, 05:49 AM
I don't think I have seen this particular news article posted anywhere here. It gives a bit more details as to some of the goings-on inside the Astana bus between Lance and Alberto.

Los Angeles Times article:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2009/08/contador-on-armstrong-and-tour-in-el-pais.html

The link within the article above:

http://nyvelocity.com/content/features/2009/one-man-alone-command

BumbleBeeDave
08-03-2009, 06:27 AM
Both the stories and the comments were very revealing.

Both Contador and Sastre come across to me as what I would call quiet gentlemen. It takes a lot to get them to say anything critical, and even then their efforts to be diplomatic are obvious. If I had to take a guess, I'd say they realize that all glory is fleeting and one day they will not be top dog anymore. Wise to be the gentleman and prepare for the future.

Lance seems to have no such problem. Even as he tries to couch them as "keeping his mouth shut one that one" as with Contador's misjudged attack that dropped Kloden, Lance's comments are pretty transparent and the condescending disdain comes through clearly. In a racing environment he has shown himself to be a master at head games--and that's useful in THAT environment.

But in line with what both Sastre and Contador said--as diplomatically as I think they could have--is that he carries that over into his behavior off the bike. That became increasingly obvious as the Tour continued and it became clear that--on the bike at least--Lance is no longer the top dog who dominates his rivals in the only way that seems to satisfy his ego.

Such behavior in everyday life simply turns people off as soon as they get to know him well enough to know the score. Unfortunately, his celebrity almost insures that he will always have a waiting line of new sycophants to pander to his ego.

Lemond has been criticized for his "sour grapes" type behavior toward Lance. That may be true. Lemond may NOT be able to just let go and move on to accept that new champions will surpass him. But I have a feeling that in the next 5 years you are going to see behavior from Lance that makes any Lemond sour grapes seem small by comparison.

BBD

dumbod
08-03-2009, 06:49 AM
You think there's bitterness now? Just wait until Contador wins his fourth TdF. It's a long shot but Contador's got a shot. He's clearly the best tour rider in the world right now and he's only 26. The bitterness meter will be off the scale and that's only the beginning. Can you imagine the barrage in 2014 if Contador's going for number 7?

Lifelover
08-03-2009, 07:13 AM
You think there's bitterness now? Just wait until Contador wins his fourth TdF. It's a long shot but Contador's got a shot. He's clearly the best tour rider in the world right now and he's only 26. The bitterness meter will be off the scale and that's only the beginning. Can you imagine the barrage in 2014 if Contador's going for number 7?

Don't worry, even if AC doesn't keep beating LA, folks will find a reason to B!tch about LA actions.

He doesn't drive his kids to school enough!
When he drives his kids to school he bullies to the front of the line!
He only leave 20% tips!
He littered once while on a training ride!
He rides without a helmet and with Ear buds :no:
Blah, Blah, blah...

Andreu
08-03-2009, 07:33 AM
"Armstrong dominated meals, stole the use of team cars and even intercepted a water bottle meant for Contador once. Honestly, it makes Contador seem like a sore winner and something of a whiner"

I'd be whining if I were Contador and this was happening. You need to have all your ducks lined up to win the TDF and this was never going to help. Poor journalism from someone who probably never has got their leg over (a top tube).

bagochips3
08-03-2009, 11:27 AM
I used to be a Lance fan, but after this Tour I'm not. I was never a huge fan of how he handled his personal life, but admired him for what he did on the bike. But now the juvenile antics on and off the bike have soured me. Come back and win the Tour; come back and help raise awareness for cancer; come back and be a super domestique. All good. But don't come back and be a bitter jerk.

I have a theory that Lance only came out of retirement to help protect his 7 Tour win legacy. He saw this young guy that could dominate the Tour and win 7 (or even 8), so he came back to try to get one more win in his column and keep one win from Contrador's column.

mike p
08-03-2009, 12:26 PM
I'm tired of this already! Both Contador and Armstrong come off as immature spoiled 13 year olds. They both look bad. Shut up both of ya's and let your legs to the talking.

Mike

I Want Sachs?
08-03-2009, 12:32 PM
I used to be a Lance fan, but after this Tour I'm not. I was never a huge fan of how he handled his personal life, but admired him for what he did on the bike. But now the juvenile antics on and off the bike have soured me. Come back and win the Tour; come back and help raise awareness for cancer; come back and be a super domestique. All good. But don't come back and be a bitter jerk.

I have a theory that Lance only came out of retirement to help protect his 7 Tour win legacy. He saw this young guy that could dominate the Tour and win 7 (or even 8), so he came back to try to get one more win in his column and keep one win from Contrador's column.

Interesting theory. Looks like Astana is no place for Contador anymore. Lance doesn't even have to win. If Lance can screw up where Contador ends up for the next few years, black listing teams, or raising some doping scandal enough to keep Contador from the tour, it might be enough to keep Contador from winning that 7th or 8th TDF. The boss can plant dopers on all teams, and just forcing winning Contador team to pull out right before arrival in Paris.

OtayBW
08-03-2009, 12:34 PM

+1000

vqdriver
08-03-2009, 01:13 PM
2010 is going to be fun.
those two better stay healthy.

link
08-03-2009, 01:20 PM
http://nyvelocity.com/content/interviews/2009/michael-ashenden

I want to go on record as saying that I don't really care very much if Lance doped in the '99 "le Tour". I love the sport as a spectator. I don't have any interest in disecting the underhandedness of the "behind the scenes" because it detracts too much from the joy I get as a spectator.

The article is interesting ...maybe more so for others than myself. There you have it.

Elefantino
08-03-2009, 01:22 PM
You know, I've raised a lot of money over the years for his foundation, and I wear a LS bracelet and have for years, but even I have to admit that the guy has become a Ricardo Cabeza.

Somebody has found that he's not the smartest guy in class anymore, and he has resorted to playground bully tactics and almost juvenile psychological ploys, aided and abetted by his right-hand tough guy, JB.

I was proud to root for him; now I'm happy going the other way.

OtayBW
08-03-2009, 04:22 PM
^ Sorry - I don't have much to add here again, except:

+1001.

Pretty much sums up my thinking (except for wondering who is Ricardo Cabeza[??]).

link
08-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Ricardo = Dick
Cabeza = Head

Ray
08-03-2009, 04:27 PM
^ Sorry - I don't have much to add here again, except:

+1001.

Pretty much sums up my thinking (except for wondering who is Ricardo Cabeza[??]).
That'd be Espanol for Dick Head.

-Ray

OtayBW
08-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Duly noted - ahem.

1centaur
08-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Pretty satisfying to see the 95% anti-Lance comments in the LA Times reader responses. At least joe average cycling fan is getting the message, even if joe average himself does not, yet.

As for Lance, he's a complex guy, in some ways he's a classic type-A athlete, he's done a lot for cancer victims that he did not have to do, and he probably sincerely does not believe he's as bad as these articles make out. But that does not make him a nice guy, which I'm pretty sure he said once when asked about the biggest misconception about him: "That I'm a nice guy."

We will all end up where Contador is, admiring the athlete but not the man at the personal level, though maybe we will still be able to admire the man he sometimes tries to be.

BumbleBeeDave
08-03-2009, 07:08 PM
As for Lance, he's a complex guy, in some ways he's a classic type-A athlete, he's done a lot for cancer victims that he did not have to do, and he probably sincerely does not believe he's as bad as these articles make out. But that does not make him a nice guy, which I'm pretty sure he said once when asked about the biggest misconception about him: "That I'm a nice guy."

. . . about LA for the past few years. He is indeed a complex and fascinating guy. The story of how he grew up, gained success, defeated death, and rose to become a great cycling champion is better than any movie script I can imagine.

But I feel he also has a definite dark side and since he announced his comeback he's made a pretty good start on corrupting any legacy of benevolence that he has built up through his athletic record and his truly good work helping cancer victims and raising funds to fight the disease. It seems the best thing he could do now is to just STFU and ride, but I'm betting he is just not capable of it.

BBD

Louis
08-03-2009, 07:51 PM
I was hoping that the LA soap opera would end once the '09 TdF ended, but I was wrong. Obviously it will continue for as long as SoapStrong continues to participate in the top-tier races. It's good for US TV ratings and lively forum conversations, but overall bad for the sport. Leave that sort of stuff for the WWF.

cadence90
08-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Just compare the LA Times articles on Lrants with the LA Times article on Edwin Moses (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-streeter2-2009aug02,0,1522203.column) yesterday and it becomes even more (is it actually possible???) painfully obvious what a complete jerk Rants is....

Enough, already. What a hypocrite.

cmg
08-03-2009, 11:42 PM
and the 2009 tour re-cap that aired on Versus this afternoon didn't help. Spent most of the story talking about the rivalry. It's obvious AC didn't trust Lance and Company. why should he? he may have seen the 85 tour where a previous champion promises to work for the new kid but renegs with help from the team director.

DukeHorn
08-04-2009, 02:26 AM
Yeah, it's rough comparing Edwin Moses to LA.

A pure amateur athlete who went to school on an academic scholarship and worked at General Dynamics before quitting to focus on his running. Imagine a guy who didn't even run the 400 meter hurdles till early 1976 winning the race in WR time at the 76 Olympics. Just an amazing well-rounded nice human being.

gasman
08-04-2009, 02:53 AM
Yeah, it's rough comparing Edwin Moses to LA.
A pure amateur athlete who went to school on an academic scholarship and worked at General Dynamics before quitting to focus on his running. Imagine a guy who didn't even run the 400 meter hurdles till early 1976 winning the race in WR time at the 76 Olympics. Just an amazing well-rounded nice human being.

Purely OT. I watched Edwin Moses run past me while warming up at the 76 Trials here in Eugene. I knew then and there that I would never,ever be world class athlete in any sport. He was poetry in motion and a really nice guy.

William
08-04-2009, 06:56 AM
What's with all the hate???? Lance and Alberto are BBF! :banana:

http://www.bicycle.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/corvos_armstrong_contador_training_camp_press.jpg

BBF = Best Buds Forever

William :rolleyes: