PDA

View Full Version : Talk me out of these singlespeed cross wheels

xjoex
08-02-2009, 08:18 PM
So I picked up a Specialized Singlecross in the winter and liked riding it around so much I sold my commuter bike and ride this one more than I had ever imagined.

It is pretty damn heavy though. It has a set of no name flip flop hubs (120mm) to Alex Ace-19 rims. Now as the bike snob I am I figure going open pro/dura ace will offer me a much lighter wheelset and snappier ride. Plus I could but my 700c studs on the original set as my dedicated winter wheels.

Or is this a huge waste of money?

-Joe

Lifelover
08-02-2009, 10:19 PM
I really belief that at least one bike that we ride regularly should remain fairly Ghetto.

It grounds us. Some of the cheapest stuff is pretty damn good.

djg
08-03-2009, 06:58 AM
My G_d man, don't do it. You'll rue the day.

How was that?

I think we both know you want the wheels. If the money is not a problem, just buy them. If there's any thought of racing cross, tubulars would be a big plus, but for general riding, the wheels you're looking at would be nice.

robin3mj
08-03-2009, 06:59 AM
Would this be a DA cassette hub and you use a cog and a spacer kit? Seems like a bit of a kludge for a wheelset bought from new. You'd be better off getting a solid set of singlespeed specific wheel built up, at least on the rear. Think Phil Wood, Paul's, White Ind, etc.

markie
08-03-2009, 07:10 AM
Like Robin says.....

Get some real single speed hubs...(The rear can then be built without dish, which will be stronger.)

There are the Chris Kings, which are cassette style, or Phil Wood, which take a screw on free-wheel.

I say get flip/flop fixed/free phil wood hubs and a white industries SS freewheel for the nicest setup.

xjoex
08-03-2009, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the opinions guys. I was thinking of the Dura Ace track hubs.

-Joe

markie
08-03-2009, 07:34 AM
My Dura Ace track hubs do not seem that durable. They need rebuilt every 1000-2000 thousand miles of road use.

Also the track hubs have provision for a reverse threaded lockring. I would not use this set-up with a freewheel. (Not all of the freewheel threads will be engaged).

I really like my Phil Woods (and surlys) better than my DA. :D

goonster
08-03-2009, 07:38 AM
My Dura Ace track hubs do not seem that durable. They need rebuilt every 1000-2000 thousand miles of road use.
+1

I would not use track hubs with only simple dust shields on a bike that is regularly exposed to weather.

allegretto
08-03-2009, 08:08 AM
OK, you'll probably demand my resignation from the list (perhaps for other reasons too) but this weekend i went to a Trek Superstore in my town and saw this single speed thingy with a belt!

it was cheap, looked fairly bulletproof, and was quite light. i was thinking of getting one as a throwaway.

anyone else see it and ride it?

apology in advance for the hijack, just sayin'

markie
08-03-2009, 08:56 AM
The belt thing may or may not be OK, but at this point I think it is unproven for "serious" use. There are plenty of cheap single speeds with chains....

(Surly Steamroller and Bianchi San Jose being my faves)

WeakRider
08-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Dura-Ace track hubs need regular maintenance if you ride them in wet conditions.

If I were you, I'd lace some cheaper sealed hubs with hollow axles to an Open Pro. Dimension hubs weigh about the same as Dura-Ace track hubs, for example. They will not spin as smoothly, but their cheapness and convenience will make up for it. Or, you could get a pair of Formulas laced to Open Pros from BicycleWheelWarehouse.com for $200 + shipping.

Lifelover
08-03-2009, 09:08 AM
OK, you'll probably demand my resignation from the list (perhaps for other reasons too) but this weekend i went to a Trek Superstore in my town and saw this single speed thingy with a belt!

it was cheap, looked fairly bulletproof, and was quite light. i was thinking of getting one as a throwaway.

anyone else see it and ride it?

apology in advance for the hijack, just sayin'

I rode one. Very Smooth! However the gearing ratio was set around cruising (10-12 MPH). The guys at the store that I talked to were not sure that it could be changed.

allegretto
08-03-2009, 09:13 AM
I rode one. Very Smooth! However the gearing ratio was set around cruising (10-12 MPH). The guys at the store that I talked to were not sure that it could be changed.

yeah, it's like 55/22 i think. they said it's very quiet

RPS
08-03-2009, 10:20 AM
yeah, it's like 55/22 i think. they said it's very quiet
If so, shouldn't that be good for about 20 MPH or better, not 10~12 MPH?

v531xc
08-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Joe,
I rode my DA track hubs all winter on my singlespeed cross rig. I wrecked the cones and bearings sometime in the middle of January. I wouldn't go with the DAs, but maybe the Surly hubs or if you call Kogswell, I bet he still has some hubs around.

-varun

allegretto
08-03-2009, 01:22 PM

yes, if you visit the HPV site i'm sure it's more than 10-12 MPH.

i didn't try counting teeth, that's just what the salesperson said it was.

Lifelover
08-03-2009, 02:09 PM

As long as the average rider can maintain 100 RPM, 20 MPH would be a breeze.

I'm not sure that is the market that Trek is targeting with the District.

zray67
08-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Or, you could get a pair of Formulas laced to Open Pros from BicycleWheelWarehouse.com for $200 + shipping.[/QUOTE]

+1, I thought the BicycleWheelWarehouse is the best for the money and for what you need. I was going to buy the set but I needed a White Industries ENO hub - I have vertical drop outs. Last night, I brought a set of Velocity Deep V, ENO rear hub, Formula high flange front hub, two cogs, and a set of tires for $306.00 off Ebay. My other fixie has Formula Hubs front and rear. I had a LBS build the wheels. I couldn't be happier but the LBS guy is a very good wheel guy. For street use the Dura Ace track hub is consistently NOT recommended here in San Francisco which is a fixie mecca.

Dude
08-04-2009, 01:07 AM
i have that very same bike and I love it. I actually raced it all last cross season. I am running it with the original wheels on it and they aren't very good, sure they roll, came with the bike and i can't really afford a new set. However, i have asked myself this question a lot and I think the best way to go is a set of phil wood hubs (flip flop) laced up to some nice velocity aeroheads (id rock tubulars for sure if I was racing and use the current set as the training wheels) Light, bombproof and I don't want to think about them once i put them on.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with the phils or pauls or surlys of the world, trust me, anything will be nicer than what it comes with. buy the wheels, you earned them.

xjoex
08-04-2009, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the input peeps.

I actually have a pair of XTR/717 from bikewheelwarehouse. They are great wheels have not had to true them up once.

I think I'm leaning towards phil's.

-Joe