PDA

View Full Version : MTB equivalent to this site?

tsprinkle
08-02-2009, 08:13 PM
I always come here and Velocipede Salon for road bike info -- anyone know if there are any similar sites for the mountain bike community?

djg21
08-02-2009, 09:23 PM
I always come here and Velocipede Salon for road bike info -- anyone know if there are any similar sites for the mountain bike community?

http://www.mtbr.com/

avalonracing
08-02-2009, 09:37 PM
I wouldn't say that mtbr is that similar to this forum. There seems to be a bit more experience, knowledge and courtesy here.

tsprinkle
08-02-2009, 09:40 PM
I guess you could say that road riders have more experience, knowledge and courtesy than mountain bikers, but...

Thanks for the info.

WadePatton
08-02-2009, 10:07 PM
there is no similar site. mtbr was about 20 years ago. now it's just a flashing neon billboard with mostly knowitalls and smarties.

search/ask here for mtb issues. we're here. sprinkled about. i do both, but if i had to choose one, i'd give up the road.

there is also "nationalmountainbike" which started as "nashville mtb" but now has sections for all states. so it's a great place for trails/events information in this area. but the conversation just isn't as velo as you'll find here...and there may be no activity in your particular area section on that board.

avalonracing
08-02-2009, 10:11 PM
I guess you could say that road riders have more experience, knowledge and courtesy than mountain bikers, but...

I'm not really saying that as I was an MTB rider and racer before I ever became a roadie. I also know some great people who are MTB exclusive and who have a wealth of knowledge. I just think that the mtbr site may have a larger cross-section of riders which while it may offer larger knowledge base there is a lot of bad advice and lousy opinions to dig though too.

Likewise, there are some people here who know a hell of a lot about MTBs so it never hurts to ask stuff here.

Lifelover
08-02-2009, 10:15 PM
I 2nd mtbr.com (http://forums.mtbr.com/)

And I disagree that it is somehow less than here or across the hall. Both are also filled with "knowitalls and smarties", they just remain smaller.

A lot of us just like to pretend that smaller and exclusive are the same.

mtbr's knowledge base is unsurpassed.

c-record
08-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Not to be snooty but I agree, the experience here is much more broad and deep. MTBR often deteriorates pretty quickly into name calling etc.

I don't think I've ever called anyone a name here. Somebody make me mad!

Louis
08-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Not to be snooty but I agree, the experience here is much more broad and deep. MTBR often deteriorates pretty quickly into name calling etc.

Only an idiot like you would say something like that.

Shimano RULES

PS ;)

c-record
08-02-2009, 10:56 PM

Shimano RULES

PS ;)

That's a start. Campy at heart here. Riding a bit of all three component brands currently and overall pretty happy with Shimano. So there!

cadence90
08-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Some of the mtbr.com sub-forums (like vintage/retro) are actually VERY polite, tight, and super knowledgeable. Every place has good, nice people; every place has jerks or egos.

The Weight Weenies mtb forum (and it's cousin FairWheelBikes mtb, to a lesser extent) is also stocked with knowledgeable mtb racers/riders.

link
08-02-2009, 11:02 PM
I think the critical remarks about mtbr need a little tempering. There are a lot of very, very kind, experienced and knowledgeable folk on that site.

Kirk Pacenti and Mike Curiak are frequent posters to name a few of those who are able to provide an immense amount of knowledge in a friendly and kind way.

Take some time to figure out who the good people are and you'll benefit quite a lot.

cadence90
08-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Lance Armstrong is the GREATEST ever!!!
No, wait, Alberto Contador is the GREATEST ever!!!
No, heck, I meant...Eddy Merckx was a complete doper!!!
No, what I really meant was, Greg Lemond is definitely the GREATEST!!!
And...definitely...Sarah...Obama!!!
Oh, and, my espresso is WAY better than yours!!! :rolleyes:
Oh, and yeah, before I forget, BMWs are either the Serottas of the car world or...they're not!!!

And, finally, yes...SQUIRRELS ARE JUST ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!! :) :D ;) :p :beer:

c-record
08-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Lance Armstrong is the GREATEST ever!!!
No, wait, Alberto Contador is the GREATEST ever!!!
No, heck, I meant...Eddy Merckx was a complete doper!!!
No, what I really meant was, Greg Lemond is definitely the GREATEST!!!
And...definitely...Sarah...Obama!!!
Oh, and, my espresso is WAY better than yours!!! :rolleyes:
Oh, and yeah, before I forget, BMWs are either the Serottas of the car world or...they're not!!!

And, finally, yes...SQUIRRELS ARE JUST ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!! :) :D ;) :p :beer:

I was ok with the components and even the political names don't get a rise. Yes, Greg > Lance. But to dis' Eddy??!! Who do you think you are?? Solidly classifies you as a extra-crusty curmudgeon. ;)

I Want Sachs?
08-03-2009, 12:20 PM

Shimano RULES

PS ;)

Camy Rules does not get too far at MTBR.

vqdriver
08-03-2009, 12:53 PM
i joined mtbr to find a mtb equivalent and have posted several threads and here's what i've found recently.

- there is a deep reserve of technical knowledge there, going waaaay back
- it is pretty difficult to tap that knowledge cuz the old timers have already posted the same stuff many times over. you're better off doing a good search for a specific thread even if the info may be a little outdated
- the forum is largely disjointed due to the MANY sub-forums
- lots of trolls who post random and rude remarks, you just have to learn to ignore them
- overall, it's been fine for getting help with setup or tech issues, but too large to have much of a community feel to it

maddog17
08-03-2009, 02:00 PM
ridemonkey.com

gdw
08-03-2009, 02:04 PM
with a huge membership. Some of the sub forums are over populated with teenagers and trolls while others attract a more mature crowd. The endurance, vintage, and diy lighting subforums are exceptional and quite civilized.

Neves
08-03-2009, 02:13 PM
i personally like mtbr as well. but i usually stick to the 29'er, 650/69'er and frame building forums. there are times something will catch my eye, but i usually stick to these.

Steelhead
08-03-2009, 02:20 PM
BikeMojo.com

WadePatton
08-03-2009, 05:43 PM
yes, too large for "community" and overoveroveroveroverdone advertising (yeah i know-doesn't make it any more tolerable).

that's what i was saying.

i started there when it was the _only_ venue "like this". but i still contend that it cannot be compared to this forum. and that there are mtb riders amidst us right here in bencity.