PDA

View Full Version : American Classic micro 68 hub, bearing removal

cmg
08-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Have an American Classic Micro 68 hub, the original style hub with pressed in bearing caps. The hub uses R4 bearings, suppose to take pliers and pull the bearing caps outs. Spent the better part of an hour trying to pry the caps off, they don't want to move. Don't want to destroy them. Anybody have any ideas? How do i get the stuck end caps off?

guyintense
08-02-2009, 05:50 PM
This works better than pliers: http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/PARSLAV1
Check out the American classic web site for more info.
http://www.amclassic.com/documents/help/2009_edited/Micro68BC09.pdf

Chris
08-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Get some wire cutters. Cut the hub out from the wheel. Throw that piece of cr@p in the trash and then take the rim to a wheelbuilder to be built around a decent hub.

cmg
08-02-2009, 11:33 PM
"Cut the hub out from the wheel. Throw that piece of cr@p in the trash "

I knew i'd get that response when i asked the question. After 30 minutes of marring up the end caps i thought no wonder people hate these hubs.

That park tool gives me an idea. Thanks

TimD
08-03-2009, 07:01 AM
I have pairs of S688-2RS bearings if you need 'em (not sure if this hub uses the same bearings as the Micro 58).

Tim

zap
08-03-2009, 09:08 AM
Hubs are fine and one of the few that can handle radial lacing. I got over 10Kmiles before one of the bearinges went bad.

I followed the AC instructions and one end cap came off quickly the other took some pounding. Try spraying wd40 on the assembly.

weiwentg
08-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Hubs are fine and one of the few that can handle radial lacing. I got over 10Kmiles before one of the bearinges went bad.

I followed the AC instructions and one end cap came off quickly the other took some pounding. Try spraying wd40 on the assembly.

"Fine" hubs will have bearings that last over 10k miles. There's a number of other hubs that can handle radial lacing also: White Industries, Tune, Alchemy, Ligero, DT Swiss...

Edit: in fairness, I've had a very bad experience with an AC rear hub, but I think the fronts are tolerable. again, there are much better hubs for the same or better $.

cmg
08-03-2009, 11:49 PM
Sprayed them with Wd40, still didn't come off. Took them took it to a bike shop they put them a park tool semi-circular clamp and they popped off. Replaced the bearings with some ceramic hybrids and they ride very smooth. Didn't have this problem with the rear.

zap
08-04-2009, 08:21 AM
"Fine" hubs will have bearings that last over 10k miles. There's a number of other hubs that can handle radial lacing also: White Industries, Tune, Alchemy, Ligero, DT Swiss...

Edit: in fairness, I've had a very bad experience with an AC rear hub, but I think the fronts are tolerable. again, there are much better hubs for the same or better $.

As a light hub, the AC micro is reliable. The bearing is small so mileage will be limited but the hub shell appears to be strong enough. I either had or have seen problems with other hubs listed.

The AC rear hub was designed and manufactured in idiot's paradise.