PDA

View Full Version : Campy Neutrol Ultra - hub slop

merlinmurph
07-31-2009, 04:42 PM
I've got a new-this-year pair of Campy Neutron Ultras, 2000 miles on them, and the rear wheel wiggles laterally. My previous set of wheels, Mavic Heliums, had the tool to tighten up the cones from the outside. If I had my older wheels, a quick adjustment with the cone wrenches would fix them up.

I've been staring at this hub for awhile now and can't figure out how to tighten up the cones. :( I took a look at the Campy site, and found the exploded view of the hub, but it ain't helping.

Any help?

Thanks,
Murph

thwart
07-31-2009, 04:57 PM
On most of the upper end Campy hubs, there is a setscrew to loosen, and then you can slightly rotate and tighten the 'nut' as you would on traditional hubs. The set screw takes the place of the lock nut, in other words...

I tend to do this with the wheel in the dropout and skewer tightened down.

Works well.

merlinmurph
07-31-2009, 05:08 PM
Man, couldn't even spell "Neutron" without screwing up.... :crap:

Anyways, I saw the set screw in the exploded view, and guessed that might be it. Does the the plastic cap on the non-drive side just pry off to expose the set screw?

New stuff for me...

Thanks,
Murph

thwart
07-31-2009, 05:16 PM
I've never had to do this procedure on my Ultras (great wheels, by the way :banana: ), but on my Nucleons (the model that preceded the Neutron, and are very similar), you do have to pry off the cap---I remember it coming off easily.

merlinmurph
07-31-2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks. That makes me feel better before ripping things apart.

MIN
07-31-2009, 08:46 PM
I had to do this a couple of times to my ultras. The bear races kind of sets in over time. Easy task though, you just need a small 2.5mm allen wrench, a blunt knife to pry the plastic cap off and finger tighten the preload nuts.