PDA

View Full Version : Over tightening seat post clamp?

scottcw2
07-31-2009, 03:01 PM
I recently purchased a 31.8 post for an aluminum frame I quickly discovered requires a 32.4. When I put it it, I was able to tighten the clamp enough to hold it in place, but the gap at the rear of the seat tube was closed.

I now have the correct post, but should I be worried that I tightened the clamp to the point where the top of the seat tube could have been compromised? There is no cracking visible, I'm just concerned about bringing that gap together even for a short time.

Thanks in advance.

WadePatton
07-31-2009, 09:35 PM
repeated cycles will cause metal fatigue. if you rode it that way for years and changed your saddle position often, then you might worry.

you didn't take it far enough to bend it-right.

no worries here.

unless you had to beat it back open for the proper post to fit. then i'm outta here.

konstantkarma
07-31-2009, 09:59 PM
Ever try to split an aluminum can in 2 by bending it? My guess is you'll be fine. Especially if you have a lot of post in the seat tube.

scottcw2
08-01-2009, 01:22 AM
you didn't take it far enough to bend it-right.

no worries here.

unless you had to beat it back open for the proper post to fit. then i'm outta here.

Didn't take it far enough to bend it and the proper post fit as it should... no beatings.