PDA

View Full Version : The first shoe drops

Elefantino
07-31-2009, 11:52 AM
Tour stage winner Astarloza suspended after failed doping test

(Updated) Euskaltel-Euskadi stands behind rider

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com//2009/07/21/2/dv553814_220.jpg

The International Cycling Union (UCI) announced Friday that it is suspending Spaniard Mikel Astarloza for failing a doping control June 26, which was 25 days before he won the Tour de France's mountain stage to Bourg-Saint-Maurice.

His Euskaltel-Euskadi team stated emphatically that it had not seen any abnormalities in the team's internal controls. It said the rider will request the counter-analysis of the sample. Until then, the press release stated, he will be considered innocent until proven guilty.

On Friday, the UCI announced that Astarloza tested positive for recombinant EPO, a blood booster, in an out-of-competition control. He is the second rider from the Euskaltel-Euskadi team to return a positive doping control in June. Inigo Landaluze was suspended in July after twice testing positive for EPO CERA.

In the case of Landaluze, the team condemned the rider and he took full responsibility for his positive tests.

Astarloza's urine test was performed by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and analysed in Madrid. The UCI received its results on Thursday.

The suspension is provisional until a Spanish Cycling Federation (RFEC) panel meets to examine the results. "The hearing panel will make a decision on an applicable sanction for Mr. Astarloza," read a UCI press release.

The failed doping test is the first related to a rider who participated in the 2009 Tour de France. There were eight riders who tested positive for doping in last year's race.

Charles M
07-31-2009, 12:31 PM
Frankly I am happy the team is standing next to him while they do the follow up.

I don't like doping but it makes me want to puke when team managers and doctors toss riders under the buss at the drop of a hat and claim innocence.

If he's guilty, fine. They'll deal with it.

labratmatt
07-31-2009, 10:57 PM
I hope there is some mistake. I watched the stage that Astarloza won and when I saw him cross the line and go nuts, I was so happy. Him winning was one of the two or three hightlights of the 2009 tour for me.