PDA

View Full Version : WTB: 59/60cm coupler

kgreene10
07-31-2009, 01:18 AM
I know this is a real long-shot, but does anyone have a S&S coupled frame or complete bike in a 59cm or 60cm that is just collecting dust?

dogdriver
07-31-2009, 09:13 AM
Good luck-- I just scoured the universe for a 55-56 S&S bike to no avail. I think that people who get these things have thought it out, and with airline charges thru the roof, they make even more sense than they used to.

FWIW, I've all but decided on a Surly Travellers Check frame/fork, pretty dressed up except that I'm going to use some older wheels until I see how the TSA abuses them... The F/F costs less than some charge just for the S&S option (900 or so), rides great, and is flexible enough to hang most component choices. I'm building mine as a light cross/ do anything bike, but may travel with road wheels on it.

Anyhoo, you'll probably score an S&S Ti Legend for $600...

Cheers, Chris

Liberace
07-31-2009, 09:35 AM
Check out Spectrum's classified section- there is an unbuilt S&S coupler framneset there. I think it was a 58cm with a 56.5cm top tube.

old fat man
07-31-2009, 09:47 AM
but i wouldn't get rid of it for anything short of the cost of a new one! sorry, that was a little mean, but the truth is it has been an awesome investment and even though i won't travel with it this year, i've already done enough travel to have made it worthwhile.

i strongly recommend the ritchey 'cross break away because:
- the price is right
- you get the frame, fork, headset, travel case, cable splitters, and packing supplies
- you don't need some stupid spanner wrench to put it back together
- most people don't even realize it is coupled because of the aesthetics of the design
- the case it is supplied with, while not as hard and durable as a plastic s and s case, is much easier to pack (especially considering you need a 58+ frame) and will accommodate additional gear
- they are sold by QBP so any bike shop in the USA should be able to get one
- fender and rack mounts in case you need that kind of thing, makes for a great foul weather bike when not traveling

gearguywb
07-31-2009, 10:36 AM
Performance has the Ritchey Break-away for $100 off and I am sure you can find a coupon code for another 10%

Don49
07-31-2009, 10:45 AM
There's this frame on eBay. The couplers look like S&S but the ad never actually says so. http://alturl.com/kjwc .

Don49
07-31-2009, 10:54 AM
but i wouldn't get rid of it for anything short of the cost of a new one! sorry, that was a little mean, but the truth is it has been an awesome investment and even though i won't travel with it this year, i've already done enough travel to have made it worthwhile.

i strongly recommend the ritchey 'cross break away because:
- the price is right
- you get the frame, fork, headset, travel case, cable splitters, and packing supplies
- most people don't even realize it is coupled because of the aesthetics of the design
- the case it is supplied with, while not as hard and durable as a plastic s and s case, is much easier to pack (especially considering you need a 58+ frame) and will accommodate additional gear
- they are sold by QBP so any bike shop in the USA should be able to get one
- fender and rack mounts in case you need that kind of thing, makes for a great foul weather bike when not traveling

I was ready to go with a Ritchey Cross (in orange), but I'm worried about the travel case being oversize by airline standards. I know it's only 2" oversize, but all it takes is an airline agent with a tape measure and you're paying the oversize charge. There was a guy on eBay selling an S&S travel case cheap and I asked him about it. It was the 26x26x12" case, also 2" oversize, and he was giving up on it after getting charged for oversize by an airline.

cody.wms
07-31-2009, 11:25 AM
There's this frame on eBay. The couplers look like S&S but the ad never actually says so. http://alturl.com/kjwc .

Those are not S&S couplers - the S&S are welded in, and these look pressed in.

Smiley
07-31-2009, 11:37 AM

Why do u think the S&S wrench is a stupid thing? I have an S&S CoMo tandem an S&S Serotta Rapid Tour and am building an S&S Beford Tourer.
I think the guy that invented the S&S coupler is laughing his way to the bank. Great ideas are the simpliest ones.

texbike
07-31-2009, 11:43 AM
Performance has the Ritchey Break-away for $100 off and I am sure you can find a coupon code for another 10%

I had an email earlier today from Performance stating that they will have an additional 20% off of their entire stock starting tomorrow....

Texbike

old fat man
07-31-2009, 11:52 AM
Why do u think the S&S wrench is a stupid thing? I have an S&S CoMo tandem an S&S Serotta Rapid Tour and am building an S&S Beford Tourer.
I think the guy that invented the S&S coupler is laughing his way to the bank. Great ideas are the simpliest ones.

Because all I need is an inexpensive 5mm allen tool. The same kind I could buy at any hardware store or in any country if mine was misplaced by TSA or lost in transit. The S and S system is over-engineered (you don't think it is simpler than the break away design, do you?), heavier, more expensive (hence the reason the inventor is laughing his way to the bank-with your money) and IMO aesthetically unpleasing compared to the break away system. I can see the need for the s and s couplings on a tandem as the tubes are larger and under more (mis)alignment stress but for a standard frame, they're unnecessary.

old fat man
07-31-2009, 11:54 AM
I was ready to go with a Ritchey Cross (in orange), but I'm worried about the travel case being oversize by airline standards. I know it's only 2" oversize, but all it takes is an airline agent with a tape measure and you're paying the oversize charge. There was a guy on eBay selling an S&S travel case cheap and I asked him about it. It was the 26x26x12" case, also 2" oversize, and he was giving up on it after getting charged for oversize by an airline.

i never got charged in the 12+ trips i took but i haven't traveled with the bike since early 2008. i think the softer sides and the standard black fabric make the ritchey case stand out less. sure it is an odd shape for luggage but the only thing i ever noticed the agents check was whether or not it was within the 50lb limit.

old fat man
07-31-2009, 11:58 AM
Those are not S&S couplers - the S&S are welded in, and these look pressed in.

that's the way couplers look on many ti frames. they are welded on and then a collar is put over the weld to provide nicer aesthetics.

i think the collar is a newer option in the last 3 or 4 years. i don't think anyone would ride a coupled frame that was just pressed together.

Smiley
07-31-2009, 01:51 PM
I asked a civilized question and BTW no smart person would leave a s&s wrench in the travel box anyway, its too easy to lose. I also think you did not see the sculpting that has been done on some S&S fittings. Also the Ritchey travel bike does not geometrically work for all riders as its one STA and one ST length. If your familiar with Vitaulic Couplings for steel pipes you'll know from an engineering stand point that the Ritchey system has been invented to couple pipes in building systems for years before it was used on bike tubes. You may want to check this site out:

http://www.irrigationwarehouse.com.au/category105_1.htm

Now if I like the look of a Vitualic coupling then I can generally think of my bike tubes as plumbing pipes connected, not my thing :)

kgreene10
07-31-2009, 03:00 PM
Check out Spectrum's classified section- there is an unbuilt S&S coupler framneset there. I think it was a 58cm with a 56.5cm top tube.

Cool. Thanks!

old fat man
07-31-2009, 05:50 PM
I asked a civilized question and BTW no smart person would leave a s&s wrench in the travel box anyway, its too easy to lose. I also think you did not see the sculpting that has been done on some S&S fittings. Also the Ritchey travel bike does not geometrically work for all riders as its one STA and one ST length. If your familiar with Vitaulic Couplings for steel pipes you'll know from an engineering stand point that the Ritchey system has been invented to couple pipes in building systems for years before it was used on bike tubes. You may want to check this site out:

http://www.irrigationwarehouse.com.au/category105_1.htm

Now if I like the look of a Vitualic coupling then I can generally think of my bike tubes as plumbing pipes connected, not my thing :)

i guess we can agree to disagree. my plumbing pipes have taken me to some fantastic spots at no extra cost and all the money i saved by not buying a custom frame with the couplers has helped fund those great trips. for its purpose, the inexpensive ritchey break away was far and away the best choice. :beer:

cnighbor1
07-31-2009, 08:10 PM
Any frame can have a couper added to it. However your into at least normally $500 due to needing to paint frame plus add couplers. I have a 59cm davidson for sale. a frame builder friend will paint it for $175 plus add couplers for say $175 so for more details email charles Nighbor architect <cnighbor1@comcast.net>

rugbysecondrow
08-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Thought I would post this for interest.

Not certain what sizes are left, but the Road and Cross versions are on sale. The price is reflected inthe Shopping Cart.

Cheers,

Paul

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product2_10052_10551_1028379_-1

kgreene10
08-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Paul: That sounds like a great deal and saves many hundreds off of a typical coupler bike. I have thought of going the Ritchey route, but I don't love the geo and the fact that the case is 2" larger than the airline allowance would make me worry each time I try to check it in. Please give us a ride report when you get it set up.

For everyone else, still looking for that magic coupler bike, so let me now if you have anything for sale.

Don49
08-03-2009, 05:10 PM
For everyone else, still looking for that magic coupler bike, so let me now if you have anything for sale.

Couple of other ideas for you, Doug Curtis www.curtlo.com offers his frames with either S&S couplers or the Breakaway coupler system. Also http://freewheelbike.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=8217 has the Surly Travelers Check as a complete bike for $1600. They say the build is identical to the Surly Cross Check complete bike, http://www.surlybikes.com/crosscheck_comp.html

kgreene10
08-03-2009, 06:28 PM
Thanks Don. Curtlo seems worth looking into. The Surly isn't my style since I would want something close to a race geo and feel.

572cv
08-04-2009, 07:38 AM
I looked with interest at the richey. It has a good price. It is a good name, and I suspect, a good bike. It is even pretty clever. So, that is one option. Another is to have a bike retrofitted with S&S couplers. I chose this later route, even though it is more expensive, because: 1) I can have a bike that really fits me, no compromise, 2) I can have a lighter bike - mine is ti and carbon, 3) I can have a Serotta - a properly coupled Serotta goes just like normal, 4) the hard case protects perfectly and IS standard airline compatible, is light enough so other stuff fits into the box and is still below 50 lbs, and 5) the payback is full after four trips, and I still have a Serotta. I ride my coupled Serotta by choice over the course of the whole season. It is a great ride. I think it is fair to say that it is nice to have choices. Paying more to get more is not unreasonable, nor is making some compromises to save bucks.

kgreene10
09-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Bump -- still looking for that magic 59 or 60cm coupler bike with a racing-oriented geo. I know it's a long shot, but let me know if you happen to have anything.

Thanks for all the previous suggestions, but I ruled out the Surly as not racey enough for my purposes and the Ritchey b/c unlike the S&S coupler scheme, it packs up oversized.