PDA

View Full Version : Shallow Drop Handlebars

Special K
07-30-2009, 08:59 AM
Hello all!

I have been running Syntace Racelite bars for several years and have liked them, but not loved them. I have been looking into a shallow drop or compact bar as a new item to try. I'm not real tall, so it seems to make sense.

The three bars that I'm looking at are 3T Ergonova, FSA K Force Compact, and Zipp SLC2 Short Shallow.

Does anyone have any input?

As you can see I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if this topic has been covered. I didn't see any recent threads on the topic in either GD or Fit.

THANKS!!!!

nahtnoj
07-30-2009, 09:05 AM
As a proof of concept experiment, get a set of FSA Omega compact. They list for $40 and if you don't like it no biggie. I would not want to spend several hundred $ on a set of carbon to find I did not like them.

The best aspect for me is the shape of the drop up by the brake lever (talking about FSA here). It allows for solid contact with the bar when shifting, braking, and sprinting from the drops. This is an area where a lot of traditional bars fall flat - too round and hence spotty hand contact.

See the Competitive Cyclist website for a good video review that demonstrates what I'm talking about.

jchasse
07-30-2009, 09:10 AM
I have FSA compact bars on 3 bikes - soon to be 4. Love 'em.

sc53
07-30-2009, 09:19 AM
I recently bought a 3T Ergonova bar for the shallow drop--I love it! The "egg-shaped" top of the bar is really comfortable too. I covered it all with Handlebra for icing on the cake.

tv_vt
07-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Also check out Ritchey Biomax bars. Drop is 125mm, I think, which is about as shallow as I've seen.

T

Climb01742
07-30-2009, 09:51 AM
be sure to check out all the dimensions of the bars. i believe it's the FSA bar that is a bit more narrow where the brifters are, then flairs out to full width on the drops. this made the bar, functionally, too narrow for me.

two other options you might consider: deda has a new shallow drop bar and shimano's PRO line has a great shallow drop bar (last year it was called the thor hushvold bar.)

blschaefer1
07-30-2009, 10:14 AM
I have the FSA K Force Compact and as the previous poster indicates they flare at the drops, so buy one size up than normal. Great bar in all respects.

Also, be sure to check out the Easton SLX3. Very similar in bend to the FSA, no flare (longer across the top), very comfortable round top. All good.

Special K
07-30-2009, 10:28 AM
Thank you for all of your input!

One of my concerns with the shallow drop was whether your wrists would hit the bars when you are in the drops sprinting or climbing. I don't do either very often, but that is one of the issues with the Syntace bar.

It sounds like the FSA doesn't have that problem. Thanks for the insight on upsizing.

JeffS
07-30-2009, 10:31 AM
The K-force and Zipp are more comparable to the ergosum, not ergonova.

I have an Ergosum, SLX3, and Shimano PRO PLT Compact and they're so close they could be called identical.

I believe the PRO was the cheapest, but SLX at ebay prices was the most economical for a carbon bar. I specifically wanted a horizontal transition into the hood though, so I didn't consider the Ergonova

JeffS
07-30-2009, 10:33 AM
One of my concerns with the shallow drop was whether your wrists would hit the bars when you are in the drops sprinting or climbing. I don't do either very often, but that is one of the issues with the Syntace bar.

I don't think that will be a concern with any of these bars because the reach is so short. I guess if you put them far enough down and back you might have an issue, but it's doubtful.

mscott
07-30-2009, 11:24 AM
I don't have any of the bars the OP listed, but I have been riding Bontrager Race X carbon bars for a few years. I bought them on ebay and was somewhat surprised when they showed up and were shallow drops. I never really used the drops much before, mainly resting on the hoods. I really like the shallow drops. It just seems more comfy than full drops to me. Plus the carbon seems to be more damp in the drop position than on the hoods or the top. Just my $.02

Satellite
07-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Thank you for all of your input!

It sounds like the FSA doesn't have that problem. Thanks for the insight on upsizing.
Special K,

My wrist hit my Deda's too; I went FSA Compact Carbon and never looked back best bar I have ever used; switched all my bikes out. I like the narrow hood and flared drops. Oh and NO more wrist interference. At first I didn't care for the semi flat tops but I they have grown on me and I don't think I could go back to a round bar. My initial wrap was cheap Performance brand NON adhesive on the entire bar. My second wrap is Handle Bra on the top only; started at the stem taped under the hood.

Satellite

93legendti
07-30-2009, 02:16 PM
Hello all!

I have been running Syntace Racelite bars for several years and have liked them, but not loved them. I have been looking into a shallow drop or compact bar as a new item to try. I'm not real tall, so it seems to make sense.

The three bars that I'm looking at are 3T Ergonova, FSA K Force Compact, and Zipp SLC2 Short Shallow.

Does anyone have any input?

As you can see I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if this topic has been covered. I didn't see any recent threads on the topic in either GD or Fit.

THANKS!!!!
Bontrager Fit VR are similar to the FSA's. I have 1 or the other on all my bikes.

Likes2ridefar
07-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Ritchey evolution SL may be worth checking, too.

alancw3
07-30-2009, 03:13 PM
checkout salsa cycles bars. the poco and the short and shallow may suit your needs. the poco comes in aluminum and a full carbon version.

http://www.salsacycles.com/handlebars_road.html

alancw3
07-30-2009, 03:18 PM
also bontrager wsd with a 120mm drop claims to be shallowest bar made.

http://www.bontrager.com/model/08368

Smiley
07-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Also check out Ritchey Biomax bars. Drop is 125mm, I think, which is about as shallow as I've seen.

T
drop is 13.5 cm and reach is 7.5 but the rear facing bend makes it closer.

bagochips3
07-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Anybody try the Deda Elementi Zero100 bars? I have the Omega compacts on my xcross bike and like them. I'm looking for something similar for my road bike (short, horizontal transition to the hoods), but with a more traditional/rounder (not flared out) curve below the hoods.

dekindy
07-31-2009, 08:08 AM
Is the Deda Elementi Big Piega consider a compact?

Special K
08-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Thank you to all that posted. I have a great list of bars to chose from.

Kevin

Steve-O
08-01-2009, 05:27 PM
also bontrager wsd with a 120mm drop claims to be shallowest bar made.

http://www.bontrager.com/model/08368

I tried out the Bontrager WSD last year. They are pretty tiny for all but the smallest hands. I had trouble getting my brifters set up exactly how I like them as the bend was so tight it left little room for error. The radiused bend of the shifter body did not match the bend of the bars which meant that it was tough to get my rubber hoods to sit flush against the bars/tape.

tylercheung
08-01-2009, 05:32 PM
salsa poco?