PDA

View Full Version : Potential New Bike Hauler: Ford Transit

alancw3
07-30-2009, 06:28 AM
i just saw the ad and specs for this new minivan. mpg of 22/25. looks like it could easily fit bikes inside w/o taking wheel off. think i'll have to visit a ford dealer and check it out. could be the next honda element with the bike crowd!

http://www.fordvehicles.com/transitconnect/?srccode=312463&bannerid=370762|36912752|215442734|0&referrer=N3016.SpecificMedia

don'TreadOnMe
07-30-2009, 07:17 AM
Is it a rebadged Mazda 5 ?

sjbraun
07-30-2009, 07:46 AM
The Mazda 5 is much smaller

Mr. Butterworth
07-30-2009, 08:08 AM
I saw one of these on my ride yesterday and had the same thought. Looks like a mini Sprinter to me.

Onno
07-30-2009, 08:11 AM
It's being marketed as a small business cargo van. One sees vehicles like this all over Europe. It does look very functional and no frills, and will certainly fit a number of bikes, as well as having seating for 5. It looks, um, timeless, as in it could have been built any time in the past 40 years. I'm guessing it is a van that has been sold in Europe for that long...

alancw3
07-30-2009, 08:37 AM
It's being marketed as a small business cargo van. One sees vehicles like this all over Europe. It does look very functional and no frills, and will certainly fit a number of bikes, as well as having seating for 5. It looks, um, timeless, as in it could have been built any time in the past 40 years. I'm guessing it is a van that has been sold in Europe for that long...

+1 my thoughts exactly. my two concerns are with a height of almost 80 inches, will it fit in my garage and drum rear brakes? i haven't had a car with drum rear brakes since the early 80's. definitely a european ford product! i am still going to check it out at the local ford dealer. i really would prefer having a vehicle that i put my bke in w/o taking wheel off or lowering the seat on my 63cm frames.

nahtnoj
07-30-2009, 09:14 AM
I saw one of these at the Philly car show all fitted out with storage racks, etc inside. I loved it. Think it could be fitted out with camping accessories? It seems too short to sleep in.

torquer
07-30-2009, 10:14 AM
Think it could be fitted out with camping accessories?
One word came to mind when I saw this in AutoWeek (now AW, and bi-weekly, but that's another rant): "Westphalia!"

RPS
07-30-2009, 10:32 AM
my two concerns are with a height of almost 80 inches, will it fit in my garage .............
I doubt many buyers will view the Transit Connect as a viable replacement for a personal car, mini-van, or SUV; but rather as a work-oriented truck.

At 79 inches tall it’s nearly as tall as full size vans – and although it has generous inside height of about 59 inches that’s got to be at least a foot taller than even tall riders need for their bikes. To me the excessive height seems like overkill if solely for that reason.

Being into small campers I was very interested when I heard Ford planned to import the Transit, but was disappointed that they only import the Transit Connect which is much smaller than the Transit. The Connect is way too small to convert into a livable camper – it’s not quite tall enough to stand inside unless one is very short, it’s very narrow, and also too short. One of the things that caught my attention initially was that it could fit inside my garage if I adjusted my 7-foot garage door up a bit.

I’d also be a little apprehensive about the limited engine power (I think +/- 136 HP and 128 lb-ft of torque) from a 2-liter mated to a 4-speed auto. This should be plenty for a company delivering flowers or for a miniature camper where speed is not as much of a factor, but I’m not sure most Americans will find it adequate as normal transportation for a vehicle with a GVWR of almost 5,000 pounds.

If Ford imported the larger FWD / low-floor Transit van from Europe I’d consider one to replace my E-350 travel/camper van. The Transit is closer in size to a Sprinter and could make a nice small fuel-efficient camper.

Lifelover
07-30-2009, 10:45 AM
Nice.

I had not seen these before. This is the only thing of late that really tempts me into buy a new car.

This would be a nice upgrade from my (or my wife's) Taurus wagon.

Other than the issue of getting it into a garage, I can not imagine where there is any concern with the hieght?

RPS
07-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Other than the issue of getting it into a garage, I can not imagine where there is any concern with the hieght?
Cross winds and highway MPG to name two? :confused:

Plus if you wash your own cars, cleaning the roof can be a PITA -- at least on my van which is a little taller and wider.

TC Johnson
07-30-2009, 11:04 AM
What about the Ford Flex? Do the rear seats come out to give a flat floor tall enough for bikes to be held upright? I couldn't find any dimensions in their specs to know how tall it is inside with the seats out.

TC

dvs cycles
07-30-2009, 11:11 AM
What about the Ford Flex? Do the rear seats come out to give a flat floor tall enough for bikes to be held upright? I couldn't find any dimensions in their specs to know how tall it is inside with the seats out.

TCNope. When I measured the height at an Auto Show it was less than 32" I think. If you are really short it might work. I need 38" for my bikes.

ahumblecycler
07-30-2009, 11:19 AM
I will stick with my Focus wagon. I can put my bike in the bike and have no worries. Oh, and I get 33 mpg on HWY and 28-29 around town. :cool:

Acotts
07-30-2009, 11:25 AM
You guys are creepy.

IT GOTS NO WINDOWS IN THE BACK!!

dave thompson
07-30-2009, 11:34 AM
You guys are creepy.

IT GOTS NO WINDOWS IN THE BACK!!
The perfect Mitch Rappmobile.

Volant
07-30-2009, 11:36 AM
.... drum rear brakes? i haven't had a car with drum rear brakes since the early 80's.

The latest-and-greatest Toyota Tacoma (no matter how you spec it) only comes with drums in the back. I found that hard to believe as well!!

xjoex
07-30-2009, 12:13 PM
When I was in Europe last month we were wondering why we don't have these in America. All of Europe was built/repaired using these size trucks, not f350s. I mean how many contractors really carry around 4x8s?

I dig the little truck.

-Joe

dd74
07-30-2009, 12:53 PM
I will stick with my Focus wagon. I can put my bike in the bike and have no worries. Oh, and I get 33 mpg on HWY and 28-29 around town. :cool:
Yeah, but don't you have to take off the wheels? That would be a drag to me.

It's why I like my Mountaineer. A whole bike fits in (on its side), wheels still attached.

The mpg sux, though. :crap:

don'TreadOnMe
07-30-2009, 01:58 PM
good review up today:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/review-2010-ford-transit-connect-cargo-xl/

velotel
07-30-2009, 03:00 PM
It's a great car but not necessarily the version they've decided to sell in the states. The version you're getting has the higher roof which can be a limiting factor for garages. Apparently you're also only getting a gas engine, not a diesel. That's not good. The gas versions aren't all that thrifty but the diesel version has tons of torque and good fuel consumption; I average around 34-35 mpg regularly, even on the autoroutes rolling at 130 kph. Mine has windows all around and a back seat. The back seat is amazing easy to remove entirely thoug hit also folds up against the front seats. I can easily have two other six footers with me and all three bikes in the back with only the front wheels removed. It's actually surprising aerodynamic and side winds are never a problem. Mine has discs front and rear; didn't know there were versions with drums in back. Mine also has a rather efficient traction control system plus abs. Handles rather well on snow with good tires.

In sum, it's been a terrific car and a great biking car. Too bad you're not getting the same range of choices we have here.

RPS
07-30-2009, 03:51 PM
It's a great car but not necessarily the version they've decided to sell in the states. The version you're getting has the higher roof which can be a limiting factor for garages.
In sum, it's been a terrific car and a great biking car. Too bad you're not getting the same range of choices we have here.Unfortunately we don’t get as many fuel-efficient small car choices as you. The lower roof window model (like picture below) should have adequate height for most all bikes. Do you have the one-piece tailgate with large rear window (like most minivans) or the barn doors we get in US?

mike p
07-30-2009, 06:19 PM
Were off to thr races.

http://www.thetuning.ru/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/Ford-Transit-Supervan.JPG

Mike

MilanoTom
07-30-2009, 08:28 PM

It's why I like my Mountaineer. A whole bike fits in (on its side), wheels still attached.

I've got an SVT Focus 3-door hatch. With the rear seat down, a bike will fit (on its side) with just the front wheel off. It's not ideal, but works.

The Transit's going to be available in a wagon version with more windows and options. (A link to Ford's site is below, but it wasn't loading for me this evening).

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2009/02/ford-transit-connect-wagon-a-work-compromise.html

http://www.fordvehicles.com/transitconnect/

It might be an interesting option when I get to the point of needing something new.

Regards,
Tom

ahumblecycler
07-30-2009, 08:39 PM

Nope. I put the entire bike into the rear. I do lay down the back seats.

acorn_user
07-30-2009, 08:45 PM
These have been on sale in Europe for quite a while. It's basically a civilised small panel van, a la Citroen Berlingo and Renault Kangoo. They are pretty popular with people looking for basic, but roomy transportation. I doubt it would be any worse than a Honda Element. Also, they are a decent size for most people. The proper transit would be too big and cumbersome for most people who won't use it for work/camping.

dvancleve
07-31-2009, 11:15 AM
I was just thinking, too bad they aren't selling it here in the U.S. with a funky turbodiesel...

Doug

It's a great car but not necessarily the version they've decided to sell in the states. The version you're getting has the higher roof which can be a limiting factor for garages. Apparently you're also only getting a gas engine, not a diesel. That's not good. The gas versions aren't all that thrifty but the diesel version has tons of torque and good fuel consumption; I average around 34-35 mpg regularly, even on the autoroutes rolling at 130 kph. Mine has windows all around and a back seat. The back seat is amazing easy to remove entirely thoug hit also folds up against the front seats. I can easily have two other six footers with me and all three bikes in the back with only the front wheels removed. It's actually surprising aerodynamic and side winds are never a problem. Mine has discs front and rear; didn't know there were versions with drums in back. Mine also has a rather efficient traction control system plus abs. Handles rather well on snow with good tires.

In sum, it's been a terrific car and a great biking car. Too bad you're not getting the same range of choices we have here.

velotel
08-02-2009, 01:07 AM
Unfortunately we don’t get as many fuel-efficient small car choices as you. The lower roof window model (like picture below) should have adequate height for most all bikes. Do you have the one-piece tailgate with large rear window (like most minivans) or the barn doors we get in US?

The barn doors as you call them. They both have their advantages though usually I have the swing up door because I prefer the large window for visibility but the double doors are often extremely practical in various situations. Like needing to get into the back in a cramped parking area.

Here's a shot of the Tourneo with 3 bikes in back.

RPS
08-02-2009, 08:25 AM
Here's a shot of the Tourneo with 3 bikes in back.
Is this the Tourneo Connect?

I find it confusing why Ford names two different vehicles the same – Tourneo or Tourneo Connect; or Transit and Transit Connect. :confused:

It looks like there is enough height in the low roof model for the bikes to go inside with both wheels, but would require removal/folding of the second row seats to place them lengthwise; which then limits it to two people and two bikes. Is that about right?

velotel
08-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Is this the Tourneo Connect?

I find it confusing why Ford names two different vehicles the same – Tourneo or Tourneo Connect; or Transit and Transit Connect. :confused:

The Transits are the working versions; the Tourneos the passenger versions. The latter are also rather rare because apparently Ford is the largest producer of working vans and thus the passenger versions are a low priority production.
They all come in long and short wheelbase and high and low roof versions.

It looks like there is enough height in the low roof model for the bikes to go inside with both wheels, but would require removal/folding of the second row seats to place them lengthwise; which then limits it to two people and two bikes. Is that about right?

That is probably correct though I'm not entirely sure. The reat seat is a 2/3 - 1.3 split so maybe 3 bikes could go in lengthwise beside each other. Height is definitely not a problem. But since the front wheel is so easy to remove, I don't see why you'd want to put them in with both wheels on. The 2 rear seats are also very easy to remove entirely so you could remove the larger section, leave the other, and you'd have a bit more room lengthwise if needed.

Had to laugh when I saw that Ford is serving them up with slush boxes. I didn't even know they had them for these vans. I don't know if it is still the case or not but it used to be that if someone learned to drive in a car with an auto, the ensuing drivers license was for someone who is handicapped. That's how rare auto boxes used to be. I know people who have driven for at least 40 years and have never even been in a car with an auto! Et voila Ford decides to serve up one of their nicer euro cars to the states and it's sold with a slush box!

Anyway, like I already said, a great rig. I haul all kinds of stuff with it, go on holiday with it, and of course it's the ultimate bike car. Just too bad they aren't sending it over with the turbo diesel.

Volant
08-02-2009, 10:46 PM
The following line from Edmunds gave a glimpse as to what they really think of this vehicle, "This keeps the little DORK-MOBILE squirting around in traffic, no problem."

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=148966/pageNumber=1

pjm
08-03-2009, 08:14 AM
138 HP and an auto trans? This thing'll be a real slug.

goonster
08-03-2009, 09:36 AM
it used to be that if someone learned to drive in a car with an auto, the ensuing drivers license was for someone who is handicapped. That's how rare auto boxes used to be.
In the U.S., if you take your road test with a manual transmission, the license has a gold border and under the photo it says "GENIUS". That's how rare they are.

RPS
08-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Had to laugh when I saw that Ford is serving them up with slush boxes. I didn't even know they had them for these vans. I don't know if it is still the case or not but it used to be that if someone learned to drive in a car with an auto, the ensuing drivers license was for someone who is handicapped. That's how rare auto boxes used to be. I know people who have driven for at least 40 years and have never even been in a car with an auto! Et voila Ford decides to serve up one of their nicer euro cars to the states and it's sold with a slush box!
I expect that for most American drivers computer-controlled automatic transmissions are faster and deliver as good or better mileage. Durability is far better than decades ago so their general disadvantage to manuals is no longer the issue it used to be. Besides, it makes it easier for drivers to talk on a cell phone and text on a second phone at the same time. :rolleyes: (yes, that actually occurred :crap: before a crash)

If the move towards electric/hybrid vehicles doesn’t eliminate the need for transmissions altogether it will be interesting to see which type of future transmission does better -- CVT or automated manuals. Either way I don’t see a resurgence towards driver-shifted manuals.

Blue Jays
08-03-2009, 11:33 AM
My next vehicle will definitely allow for travel with the bicycle mounted upright (with front wheel removed) and fork affixed to a Rocky Mount clamp or similar device.
This simply allows one to travel cleaner, with multiple bikes inside the vehicle, and still maintaining room for additional luggage & cargo.