PDA

View Full Version : New Ottrott

Carpe Diem
01-27-2005, 10:10 AM
After months of patient waiting for the "new" Ottrott and countless days of deliberation regarding colour scheme and componentry, I´ve finally stepped up to the mark and put my order in. (LBS in Germany so the order probably isn´t with Ben just yet !)
The size-cycle was interesting, the results a standard 56 and a straight top tube, no USS Enterprise style geometry for me. Colour choice proved to be very difficult, if not impossible, and after going round many circles I ended up ordering exactly the same polished ti, clear carbon scheme as shown on the model page (looking to liven it up a bit with red bar tape to match the decals)
The new F3 fork, Campa Record Carbon componentry with brakes, saddle and stem supplied by German carbon manufacturer, AX Lightness. I´m undecided on the wheels, Campa Eurus currently get the nod for allround rideability and looks (wheels must be black, and they must brake in the wet !)
A Chris King headset, Schmolke Carbon bar and Time pedals will hopefully round it off.
If any of you bike gurus out there have comments, criticisms or tips to give, they would all be greatly appreciated as I still have a lot of leeway on the components.
By the way, thanks a lot to you all for providing me with an awful lot of indirect knowledge of the last few months.

All the best ....... Carpe.

dave thompson
01-27-2005, 10:16 AM
The Ottrott is a wonderful bike, I love mine. I'm a fan of 'keep it simple', let the bike talk for itself. Tires and wheels will make the biggest difference in outside influences in how the bike feels. If you can experiment with those, you can really dial in the perfect feel that you like.

zap
01-27-2005, 10:24 AM
Sounds like a great bike. You'll like the AX Lightness saddle. I have the Apollo and it's great.

Didn't know AX Lightness makes a stem. I'll have to check it out.

You might want to look at Zero Gravity brakes. I understand that they work better than AX Lightness brakes and much cheaper too. Buy them from some shop in the US (wisecyclebuys.com or excelsports.com) so that you can take advantage of the strong euro.

flyingscot
01-27-2005, 11:32 AM
That will be one exotic bike !
I have seen AX stuff but never used it
BTW be careful of schmolke bars - I managed to quite easily flex a pair I saw in a shop - and I am no muscle man :crap:

I am curious though – Ottrots are meant to have many qualities – one of which is comfort
They are not the lightest though

You sound like you are building up a UCI illegal project bike with all that CF

My suggestion : put on an alliante and heavier bars and save all the trick stuff for your uphill TT machine !

jhurwitz
01-27-2005, 07:57 PM
After months of patient waiting for the "new" Ottrott and countless days of deliberation regarding colour scheme and componentry, I´ve finally stepped up to the mark and put my order in. (LBS in Germany so the order probably isn´t with Ben just yet !)
The size-cycle was interesting, the results a standard 56 and a straight top tube, no USS Enterprise style geometry for me. Colour choice proved to be very difficult, if not impossible, and after going round many circles I ended up ordering exactly the same polished ti, clear carbon scheme as shown on the model page (looking to liven it up a bit with red bar tape to match the decals)
The new F3 fork, Campa Record Carbon componentry with brakes, saddle and stem supplied by German carbon manufacturer, AX Lightness. I´m undecided on the wheels, Campa Eurus currently get the nod for allround rideability and looks (wheels must be black, and they must brake in the wet !)
A Chris King headset, Schmolke Carbon bar and Time pedals will hopefully round it off.
If any of you bike gurus out there have comments, criticisms or tips to give, they would all be greatly appreciated as I still have a lot of leeway on the components.
By the way, thanks a lot to you all for providing me with an awful lot of indirect knowledge of the last few months.

All the best ....... Carpe.

Excellent choice. Are you getting the Ottrott ST? Like you I spent some time thinking through the cosmetics. B/c it is a big bike (61 cm) I went with a slightly compact shape, blue clear coat, red decals and Dura Ace 10. Kept handle bar tape black though; considered red, but it seemed a bit loud and dealer agreed. Put the Fizik Arionne saddle on (with a red center stripe; great accent). Also went with Bontrager Race X lite wheels (sub 1500 grams total weight and used by Postal on the tour). I am a large rider and the wheeels have been great. ALso they are black with red accents and look liek they were made for the bike. As fo the bike itself, it is a dream. I still giggle at how smooth it is and reliable.

You arein for a treat!

JSH

Carpe Diem
01-28-2005, 01:38 AM
Thanks for the thoughts.
I´m not entirely convinced about the flex issue with the Schmolke bars either, but as my LBS said I can try them out and they would replace them if I´m not happy I figure I´ll do just that, see what the final bike weighs and then make my decision.
All the carbon componentry is to counterbalance the general "heaviness" of the Ottrott frame, I´m hoping for no more than 7.5 kilos and a lean, mean, climbing machine !
Life´s too short to do things by halves.

Needs Help
01-28-2005, 03:08 AM
jhurwitz,

Sounds beautiful. How about posting some pictures in the picture gallery?

jeffg
01-28-2005, 06:04 AM
If your are indeed in Frankfurt, let's go for a ride sometime (hopefully my Legend will arrive from California soon).

Michael Katz
01-28-2005, 06:32 AM
Your bike sounds like it will be both beautiful and an incredible performer. In keeping with your philosophy of "going all out", you may want to include a Phil Wood bottom bracket to compliment your Campy rig. The Mag/Ti version is the most beautiful piece of bike jewelry (that no one will ever see!), will last as long as you own the bike, is as stiff as the stainless steel version in 102mm spindle lengths for Campy doubles and weighs 60 grams less than the notoriously unreliable Record bottom bracket. I stuck one in my Ottrott and I know, without a doubt, that I climb 20% faster as a result!

Sandy
01-28-2005, 06:38 AM
I wish I had used Mag/Ti version of the Phil Wood bb in my Ottrott. Without a doubt, I climb 40% slower because I didn't.

Changing to Phil Wood Mag/Ti legs, lungs, and heart......

The Bionic Man,

Sandy

Michael Katz
01-28-2005, 06:42 AM
Unfortunately for me, 20% faster than slow is still slow!

Sandy
01-28-2005, 07:05 AM
A friend has an Ottrott ST with clear carbon tubes, with charcoal decals (if I remember correctly). It is beautiful. He has the head tube badge on his which really gives an outstanding look.

My Ottrott has a blue tinted clearcoat, with red decals, including the head tube. I chose not to have the Serotta on the down tube or seat tube. I originally used black cork tape, which I have used exclusively on my bikes. I decided to try the red tape, for a change as I thought that it would look nice with the red decals. I am conservative in my choices, but I gave it a try. I think that the red livens up the bike and does look very nice with the red decals. You might give it a try when you change the tape. I am not sure whether I will use the red next time or not, but I will definitely use it again. The black always always looks excellent ,in my opinion.

Have many SAFE and enjoyable miles on your truly wonderful bike,

Sandy

zap
01-28-2005, 08:58 AM
Doesn't Schmolke have the option to stiffen the bar? It will weigh a tad more but should still be less than whats commonly available.

Mr. Katz is correct. The PW Ti/Mag bb is the way to go. I have PW Ti/carbon and 2 Ti/Mags bb, one thats 11 years old and still spins smooooth.

Sandy-are you upgrading to Campy? When you do, you will be faster and you will get desirous looks from...............

Larry
01-28-2005, 09:40 AM
Michael,

Does the Mag/Ti Phil Wood BB really make a significant difference?
I always thought the Campy R BB was really smooth. Price??

To Sandy...... Hi out there! I spoke with your brother a short time ago. He is really knowledgeable about medications. The result is that I am now working with a cardiologist, and he seems to think that things are more serious than I had thought. He has already kicked my butt about losing weight, and he says to start doing long walks. He indeed has scared me into a diet/workout commitment. Medicine- Cardizem CD (CCB) and a diuretic pill.
Thanks to you and your brother. Happy cycling!

Larry in Dallas

Climb01742
01-28-2005, 11:53 AM
it looks as though the ottrott maternity ward may be busy this spring. i recently ordered an ottrott, too, and had the same color scheme angst. with keith's amazing photo-shop help, i was able to settle on what i hope will be a striking, colorful look. as soon as the frame arrives, i'll post photos. here's hope imagination and reality aren't too terribly removed. :rolleyes:

Michael Katz
01-28-2005, 12:22 PM
The Phil Wood bottom brackets are simply the best made bb's available. Quality of materials, tolerances, durability, longevity and smoothness can't be touched by anyone else's in my opinion. They are also fully adjustable for offset. All of the PW bb's use the same bearings. The primary differences involve the materials used for the spindle and housing to achieve different weight/price points. All of the PW bb's perform the same except that in longer spindle lengths, the proprietary ti spindle can have slightly more flex than the stainless. In short spindle lengths (Campy or Shimano doubles) the 2 different ti spindles will be as stiff as the stainless steel.

The mag/ti bb is silly expensive ($249) while the stainless steel is about $99. Weight is the only reason to go with the former but is hardly "rational" given the price difference. I went with the mag/ti bb because 1) I'm not rational, 2) I was trying to build my Ottrott as light as possible without compromising safety and durability and 3) the insurance proceeds from a car accident I was in was paying for the bike so cost was not a real issue. In contrast, I have the stainless steel version in another bike and performance wise there is no discernable difference.

As to Record bb's - I hate them. Don't spin as smoothly, are more flexy and self destruct in a season or 2.

Ahneida Ride
01-28-2005, 04:34 PM
"The Phil Wood bottom brackets are simply the best made bb's available. Quality of materials, tolerances, durability, longevity and smoothness can't be touched by anyone else's in my opinion. "

Bingo !

jhurwitz
01-28-2005, 08:11 PM
[QUOTE=Needs Help]jhurwitz,

Sounds beautiful. How about posting some pictures in the picture gallery?

Yes, you are right, I should post the bike. I had a Lemond Tete de Course which I loved but turned the rear triangle into taffy, so I had the Ottrott ST made. When the bike came in and the dealer built it up they called me telling me to come right away. Their quote: "sex on wheels". 3 of us sat around the bike admiring it (and this place carries a raft of high end bikes). The owner has one too but his is the clear coat. He agreed, the blue tint is even sharper (esp with the red accents in the form of decals, seat stripe and wheel accents). When I pull into the garage at night, the xenon lights of my car reflect off it, and bring a smile to what often are long days at work. So, yes, I must get off my duff and submit a few pics. You afficiandos will appreciate it (my wife, who is supportive of all of my athletic endeavors, finds the notion that others might enjoy the pics questionable (not a biker).

Cheers,

JSH

jerk
01-28-2005, 09:10 PM
phil wood bbs are great but they're still only an ivan basso on the podium....

the best is the ada. blow on it. it spins. and keeps spinning and yes it is sealed and no cees has way to many more important and interesting projects on hand at the moment so they are no longer available....oh well.

the next best is the pmp bottom bracket.....bomb-proof like a phil wood...but smoother and a wee-bit lighter. plus you can adjust your chain line and q-factor with it. campy taper only...but who the hell has 7410 dura-ace cranks on their bike right now? oh... bearings sit super inboard so the spindle is really stiff....not that any of you are flexing bottom bracket spindles but just so you know....

jerk (yeah the jerk is importing the pmp crap...but it's because he likes it...not the other way around.)

Michael Katz
01-28-2005, 09:46 PM
"Veni Vidi Vomiti" - I love it. I have a jersey with the "team" logo of "Republic of Anaerobia" that has "Veni Vidi Vomiti" on it. I wear it on all my hill rides.

Peter
01-28-2005, 09:57 PM
If you're going to "try" and add some color to that bland, bare finish, then do it with style.

Not only should the bar tape match the red decal outline (solid color tape only, please), your cable housings and bottles/bottle cages should match as well. A red seat (check richardsachs.com as I think he's got a surplus for sale) would "finish" the look and show you've got real class.

Steve800
01-29-2005, 09:31 PM
Michael,

Does the Mag/Ti Phil Wood BB really make a significant difference?
I always thought the Campy R BB was really smooth. Price??

http://www.philwood.com/webcatolog/pg13_files/image002.jpg

* Magnium TM Cartridge – Proprietary Titanium Spindle
* For applications demanding light-weight, maximum durability & minimum flex
* Phil Proprietary Composition Heat-Treated ( PC-HT ) Titanium spindle
* Magnesium - Titanium - Aluminum alloy cartridge shell with custom spindle offsets upon request
* Unique trademark cupped flats for crank arm retention with a shell designed to seal out contamination

It is a superior BB in everyway. Lighter (134 grams for a 102 + 11 grams for alloy cups)(146 grams vs. 190 for Record BB) and much more reliable due to design and bearings.

It will run you about $250 USD.