PDA

View Full Version : Derosa SLX - Mid 80's

hurleykf
07-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Looking for some opinions regarding a mid-80 DeRosa SLX with Campy components(mirage) and wheels. I picked up the DeRosa over the weekend, I've been trying to find a vintage frameset to build a fixed gear bike but I'm having second thoughts about removing the gearing. I took it for a ride after taking my pedals of my Moots Vamoots SL. I love my moots, but riding this bike was like driving a Cadillac, very smooth and comfortable. So now I'm second guessing my original plans...

Is this bike worth keeping as original? or Should I make it a Fixed gear?
Or should I flip it?

markie
07-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Keep all the bits from converting it to a fixie and then you can convert it back in just a few minutes...

(Keep both brakes on, get a new rear wheel, use the current crankset with just the middle ring... Sorted.)

Sam in VA
07-27-2009, 08:36 PM
Or at least close. Its a beautiful bike that will command respect anywhere it is ridden. Change the pedals and saddle to suit your taste, but keep everything original.

ischon
07-27-2009, 08:47 PM
dont convert it!

its a beauty as is!

buy a track bike and ride that with a proper fixed wheel

dana_e
07-27-2009, 09:14 PM
keep it geared, it is a road machine

pink is sweet, rock on

kgreene10
07-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Since it ended up in the classified section and looks like my size, I think you should sell it to me...cheap.

JunkYardBike
07-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Are you sure all the components are Mirage? What's Mirage doing on a De Rosa? As mentioned above, you might consider trading the frame or the complete bike for a track frame, or bike. This is your ticket to a very nice track bike.

hurleykf
07-27-2009, 09:48 PM
My bad...I'm a rookie posting to this forum!

Thanks for the feed back...As of this posting I think I'm going to keep it and keep it as is...Thanks Again!

markie
07-27-2009, 10:25 PM
dont convert it!

its a beauty as is!

buy a track bike and ride that with a proper fixed wheel

IMHO

I really like riding road bikes on the road.

Old beauties like this ride so nicely and are no longer "race machinery", why not turn it into something useful?

I much prefer road bike conversions to fixed gears for riding on the road.

Or sell it to me so I can turn it into a fixie companion to my 7-11 Merckx :p

csm
07-27-2009, 10:29 PM
lose the black stem no matter what....

jeffinCT
07-28-2009, 05:51 AM
I agree with other posters. Keep it original or sell and buy a track bike. Go Pink! :banana:

golfcycle
07-28-2009, 11:56 AM
It's amazing the ride of steel, eh? Keep it and try to put some vintage Super Record parts on it. Congrats! :beer:

cmg
07-28-2009, 12:58 PM
keep it as it is except put some really light wheels on it. Then it will ride like a really fast Cadillac. It's in too good of condition to turn into a fixie. fixies should be built out of road bikes at the end of thier service life, completely hammered, dented, some rust with parts that aren't available any more. At least that's my asthetic.

ThomasRZ
07-28-2009, 01:12 PM
There are plenty of fixed-gear bikes that have standard road, or even 'comfort' road, geometry that would make a better fixed-gear than that beauty.

Don't be snookered by Fixed Gear Gallery. ;)

If you're going to convert a road bike, use something common, not something exceptional.

choke
07-29-2009, 02:26 PM
That's way too nice to convert. I'd leave it like it is. Nice score. :beer:

FWIW, it's hard to tell from that pic but looking at the brakes/crankbolt I'd guess that's Chorus...though it might be Athena.

john903
07-29-2009, 03:01 PM
I agree with others to keep the beauty original. Maybe a light fast set of tubulars to keep it period correct but still a fast comfy ride. Buy a old road bike and convert to a fix gear to see if you like riding fix gear if you do then buy a nice road fix gear. I have a converted Waterford for my fixie, but only did the conversion after 12 years and many miles and dents and scuffs. Now I have a Curtlo single speed/fix gear on order.

Iam curious about the group set also give us details. What is the rear deraileur Campy Athena long cage, and Athena crank set? Oh if you or others know is Campy Athena crank set have a 110 bolt pattern?

Have Fun.

Seramount
07-29-2009, 06:23 PM
just say no to fixed.

especially a De Rosa.

hurleykf
07-29-2009, 08:47 PM
lose the black stem no matter what....

Working on it...I have my eye on a stem or two on e-bay.

mistermo
07-29-2009, 09:25 PM
what size? tubing?