PDA

View Full Version : Colorado : Steel Fierte riding question

rugbysecondrow
07-27-2009, 09:23 AM
I have a 1993 Colorado that has a more aggressive/racing type geometry that enjoy riding, but I am thinking about getting an all steel Fierte (carbon fork). With the Colorado, the riding is a little too aggressive for me, which is what has me thinking about the Fierte, which is supposed to be a great, smooth ride. Anyway, anybody who has experience with both types of bikes, I would really appreciate your opinion on the riding differences or similarities. I bet they are both great bikes, so not saying one is better than the other, just wanting to understand them since they do have different builds.

Also, if you have any imput on the riding of the steel Fierte, that would be great to.

Thanks,

Paul

dekindy
07-27-2009, 09:49 AM
I loved my steel Fierte, only carbon was fork, and only replaced it with a Legend. Recently the LBS service manager that purchased my Fierte frame let me ride it. Equipped with 32-spoke Open Pro Wheels and a Selle Anatomica saddle it does not get much smoother than that. That comment is coming from a Legend owner with Shimano Dura-Ace 7850SL wheels and Hutchinson road tubeless tires. If it were not for wanting a bare titanium frame to avoid paint chips and scratches I would still be happily riding the Fierte.

Ahneida Ride
07-27-2009, 10:39 AM
I've heard great feedback about the Fierte ...

Comments in private where honesty is usually the norm.

Steevo
07-27-2009, 11:56 AM
I really enjoy my 2003 steel Fierte w/carbon fork, steel rear. It rides very smooth, handles very well, responds when I push it and is incredibly stable on descents. All that said, I can't meaningfully compare it to anything other than the aluminum Trek it replaced.

For me, a not too fast, recreational rider that rides as often as possible, its a great bike.

Peter P.
07-27-2009, 07:39 PM
I own neither model Serotta, but I think the answer to your question is easy. You need to look at the geometry charts for the '93 Colorado and the Fierte and verify the head angle is more slack on the Fierte. Add the fork rake of the respective forks and calculate the trail figure. A slacker head angle will tame the steering. A higher trail figure will further tame the aggressiveness, but you don't necessarily need both. For what it's worth, my experience has been a 1/2 degree variation in head angle can mean the difference between a bike that I find tolerably rideable and one that is wonderful.

Others may argue there's more to it than that but this is my opinion and I"m stickin' to it!

CaliFly
07-27-2009, 07:54 PM
I currently ride a CdA w/ Open Corsa CX on Campy Eurus and a Concours w/ Open Corsa on Kysriums. The CdA is a bit snappier, but I think the plushness is the same. The Concours would be even more so on the Eurus.

rugbysecondrow
07-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have a TI Concours that I really enjoy which I bought after my Colorado. Anyway, the Colorado feels a little to stretched out for me, especially since I have been having lower back trouble and I am going to be riding more upright, less agressive for a while. Anyway, I saw a deal on a new frame so I thought I would give it a pull, sell the Colorado and built this one up. It is hard to find info on the Fierte though. Frankly, it seems like a very good bike, but seems like it doesn't get much love.

Follow up question. The size 58 has a top tube of 56.5, but it sloping, so does that give it a virtual top tub of approx 58?

Thanks

HenryA
07-28-2009, 07:44 AM
The Fierte is a great bike and it sounds like it will help you with a more upright position. What you are getting is a "stock" Serotta, built by the same people who build the custom bikes. Same full quality materials and construction, just not custom made for you.

You oughta' get a real fit before you buy it, then set it up to follow the fit.

dekindy
07-28-2009, 08:15 AM
Follow up question. The size 58 has a top tube of 56.5, but it sloping, so does that give it a virtual top tub of approx 58?

Thanks

That is the effective top tube taking the slope into consideration. My ideal top tube is 57.5 and the Fierte 58 with a 56.5 top tube worked great for me. You just have to adjust the stem accordingly. Different length stems will effect the handling also but you need someone more expert than me to work all the factors through for you and give you an analysis based upon all your fit factors and desired handling.

If you can, go to a Serotta trained fitter or other fitter if there is no Serotta dealer close by and get a professional opinion regarding frame size.