PDA

View Full Version : How fast was Cavendish

PCR
07-26-2009, 11:50 AM
going at the end of the Tour today?

Marcusaurelius
07-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Hmm, faster than a speeding bullet, able to leap...I think he's great even when I know he'll win, he just an exciting guy to watch in the sprint.

Charles M
07-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Fast enought to hand Garmin the full on the face B!tchslap the team (not Tyler F) FULLY DESERVED...

That Hincapie destroyed any chance at all after Garmin blew the lead out attempt was icing...

jhcakilmer
07-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Fast enought to hand Garmin the full on the face B!tchslap the team (not Tyler F) FULLY DESERVED...

That Hincapie destroyed any chance at all after Garmin blew the lead out attempt was icing...

Cavendish is fast, but I'm not convinced he's really that much faster than Tyler, or Thor. Cav just had an entire team designed around him. They were a very one dimensional team, kind of ironic, since Cav criticized Garmin for the same thing in the Giro. Seems he's picking up were McEwen left off.....kind of wish these young guys would just keep there mouth shut!

I think overall Garmin was a more impressive team, solid TTT, and ITT performances, and 2 riders in the top 10.......for a young team, with a lower budget, they've been exciting to watch.

cody.wms
07-26-2009, 01:40 PM
They were a very one dimensional team, kind of ironic, since Cav criticized Garmin for the same thing in the Giro.

Cav has won 10 stages in the two grand tours he's contested this year. Garmin couldn't win the TTT in either grand tour...

At some point Garmin has to WIN something, getting 4th in classics and the tour can only go so far.

with a lower budget

How much lower is their budget? I cant find any figures online.

jhcakilmer
07-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Cav has won 10 stages in the two grand tours he's contested this year. Garmin couldn't win the TTT in either grand tour...

At some point Garmin has to WIN something, getting 4th in classics and the tour can only go so far.

How much lower is their budget? I cant find any figures online.

I can't remember were I found the info, I'll keep looking. What I remember, is that Columbia's budget was nearly twice that of Garmin.

Also, I agree that Garmin has to win something, but I still personally find them more interesting to watch. Columbia was very strong on the flat stages (espeically in the last 5 km), and basically (except for big george) non-existent on the others. I find his lead-out train, more impressive than him.....big george's burst of speed today, was extremely impressive, he shelled everyone....there was no one left to out sprint....I think Renshaw could have taken the win.

IMO, it's more impressive to see something like Thor's escape on stage 17, than see Cav win another sprint. In the end, I think most people remember who won the green jersey over someone winning multiple stages.....or maybe that's just me.

cody.wms
07-26-2009, 02:26 PM
Different strokes, I guess.

I always liked watching Cipo and his train win over breakaways. Something about watching the dedication and organization of a good lead out train always looks good to me.

Of all the teams, I was most impressed by Saxo Bank. Watching Cancellara pull the Schlecks up a mountain after he was in the break all day, and barely being able to stand on the pedals after his pull was awesome. The repeated efforts that Cancellara and Voight put in, and the Schlecks seemingly continual attacks in the mountains was awesome.

mike p
07-26-2009, 02:39 PM
I guess you missed Tony Martin's ride up Mount Ventoux?

Mike

"Columbia was very strong on the flat stages (espeically in the last 5 km), and basically (except for big george) non-existent on the others."

jhcakilmer
07-26-2009, 03:31 PM
[QUOTE=mike p]I guess you missed Tony Martin's ride up Mount Ventoux?

Mike

No, I didn't, that was somewhat impressive. He had to work to get himself into a break, and keep the break away, but the peleton didn't really chase them down.

They (breakaway) had something like 4-5 minutes when they hit the climb, and at the end they only won by 30-40 seconds. Garate, and Martin were crawling, but it was still impressive. Martin will be a good rider for years to come.

+1 for Saxo, they road very well, and continually animated the race!

Climb01742
07-26-2009, 04:20 PM
george sure helped cav this tour. he always seemed to be in the right place at the right time, with enough juice, to position cav. today was a great example. garmin was challenging but with about 1km to go, george just powered at the right moment. sadly for george, he seems to be able to launch everyone but himself. but i give him serious props and respect. i hope cav buys george drinks all night long tonight. :beer:

1centaur
07-26-2009, 04:20 PM
versus did a poor job of examining why Cavendish was in his own zip code at the end.

Farrar talked about Bennati messing them up, but really it was Garmin trying to squeeze into a space that was not there because they are SO incompetent at setting up Farrar that they threw everybody else off their line. We may never again see a Champs "sprint" that looks so much like a technical exercise. Good for Thor getting those sprint points in the mountains, because if he'd lost the green jersey from Garmin's antics it would have been a bitter pill to swallow.

93legendti
07-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Maybe Vaughters is the problem?

FL_MarkD
07-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Thor really had to slow to avoid getting run into the barriers on that last right hand bend. Garmin blew the corner and the chance of everyone else to win. Thor didn't need to win, so he did the right thing and kept it rubber side down and took home the green.

Watching the Columbia team do the sprint lead outs this tour was a thing of beauty. Maybe not a 'complete' team like some others, but they were great at what they were formed to do - win sprint stages.

Mark

cadence90
07-26-2009, 07:06 PM
Cav was...faster than a speeding mullet!!!

:D Uuuugghhh.... :)

Elefantino
07-26-2009, 07:07 PM
POTT (post of the tour)

avalonracing
07-26-2009, 08:04 PM

Yeah, I have to admit... It would make a good headline for Velo News

Charles M
07-26-2009, 08:22 PM
Columbia controling the lead out isn't exactly a good "reason" for Thor and Tyler and the rest not being able to so much as hold his wheel... Columbia organizing the sprint has given the other guys more chances rather than less.

And frankly "Slipstream" is an exceptionally appropriate name for the team as run by Vaughters.

If the goal is to have their jersey well displayed, it's working. But I think his riders deserve better than being served up as the cycling equal to all the guys getting Dunked on in Jordan / Labron posters...

The riders deserved better than to spend gas simply because their manager is feeling short in the pants. Arguably you can focus on only one goal in the tour, but you can stretch for two...

Trying to force your guys win sprints, GC position AND pissing contests is simply bad management.

PCR
07-26-2009, 10:24 PM
is from Wenatchee WA., he would come over here to Bellingham,WA to visit his girlfriend while she attended Western Washington University. I saw him ride a few times... I can't begin to describe how fast he can accelerate. If riding is an art, Tyler fits the description. :beer:

Fivethumbs
07-26-2009, 11:31 PM
I don't know what Garmin was thinking coming to the front with about 2 miles to go! Once I saw that I knew they didn't have a chance. I'm kind of tired seeing 'dish win everything though. Where the hell is Abdujaparov when you need him?

bnewt07
07-27-2009, 04:09 AM
Cavendish has not stinted from praising his team in setting him up for his wins.

Mind you, although you have people to prime, load and aim you still need someone who can pull the trigger.

Exceptional performance.

I heard that when he and Hushovd were at the end of Mt Ventoux together, half an hour back from the leaders, they sprinted the last 50m together, finishing with a shared laugh. Cav was first of course mind you

Climb01742
07-27-2009, 05:38 AM
Maybe Vaughters is the problem?

watching the documentary "blood, sweat and gears" about team garmin, JV comes across as kind of a d!ck.

Auk
07-27-2009, 07:46 AM
watching the documentary "blood, sweat and gears" about team garmin, JV comes across as kind of a d!ck.

He tends to be the modern day Fignon. The "professor" bit is getting old.

paczki
07-27-2009, 07:51 AM
If the goal is to have their jersey well displayed, it's working. But I think his riders deserve better than being served up as the cycling equal to all the guys getting Dunked on in Jordan / Labron posters...

Maybe for the sprinters, but they did come in second in the team competition which is absolutely amazing given how long they have existed. And it's not like Milram or any team but the one with Thor did much better.

In his praise for his team Wiggins referred to Vaughters as the "court jester". I don't think that translates well on video. From Wiggins' comments it seemed like Millar and Matt White are the heart of the team, and they all live near one another.

Climb01742
07-27-2009, 08:45 AM
He tends to be the modern day Fignon. The "professor" bit is getting old.

as are his turtlenecks. JV's air of superiority seems beyond his CV.

Charles M
07-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Just to be clear, I didn't and wont say that the riders are anything but class guys at Garmin... I think Tyler will win races down the road and there are several guys on that team that are pure guts.

Garmin is a team full of guys that know racing. There's a load of experience there. I think they'll get better, but I think they would also be better served with a bit more focus.

johnnymossville
07-27-2009, 09:32 AM
While I'm not a big fan of JV's Dapper Fancy Boy Professor Image, Garmin has shown that it is one of the top teams in Cycling today. They took 2nd in the team standings at the Tour after only a couple years of doing it. That's nothing to sneeze at. They aren't perfect but they are a serious contender.

If you want to question team competence look no further than Milram, Quickstep, and even Cervelo. Did Hushvold even have anyone to work with him in the sprints?

Climb01742
07-27-2009, 09:37 AM
just to be clear, too: the riders on garmin are to be admired and liked, i think. in 99% the interviews i've seen/read with them, they seem like cool, "regular" guys. christian and wiggo seem particularly down to earth and david millar turned himself inside out for teammates this year. JV just rubs me a bit the wrong way but that's worth far less than my .02 worth. :beer:

johnnymossville
07-27-2009, 09:39 AM
just to be clear, too: the riders on garmin are to be admired and liked, i think. in 99% the interviews i've seen/read with them, they seem like cool, "regular" guys. christian and wiggo seem particularly down to earth and david millar turned himself inside out for teammates this year. JV just rubs me a bit the wrong way but that's worth far less than my .02 worth. :beer:

I think there are MANY that feel exactly the same way. Count me as one. hehe

Lifelover
07-27-2009, 09:42 AM

Give him a couple of beers and I suspect JV would rub you the right way :no:

NTTIAWWT