PDA

View Full Version : It Followed Me Home, Smiley, Can I Keep It?

dnovo
01-17-2004, 08:13 AM
Picked it up last night, after we changed the stem and seatpost to adjust the fit for me. It snowed a bit last night, and I was out and about on it early this morning. What a blast!!!! Dave N.

dnovo
01-17-2004, 08:20 AM
One point of interest I missed when I took my photos last weekend. This Hors Cat Cross uses some fairly chunky tires (Michelin Cyclo-Cross Sprints, 1&5/8"-- which only come in green, hence the matching green panels which Brendan selected to match the tires.) Too fat to clear the 'normal' DKS straps on the top of the seat stays. Solution? Machine off a portion of the inside of the DKS mounting strap, which has no impact on the strength of the mount but gives the needed clearance (and yes, I got a pair of extra elastomers with the bike:

Smiley
01-17-2004, 08:30 AM
I thought they painted green panels on the Ti but closer looks shows a platinum paint with green panels. Very nice Dave, have you ridden it yet? How can anybody not like those stays? If it was a 58 cm frame I would have out bid you for it. Nice, really nice winter bike.

dnovo
01-17-2004, 08:33 AM
I had it out in the snow and ice this morning. While my ice racing skills have almost deserted me since my motorcycle racing days as a 'yute', I managed to stay upright. Lovely, lovely bike and the rear end is marvelous over the garabage I was riding on top of today. Came home only when the ice spray got too much for the goggles, but I love this puppy!!!! Oh, the paint was added at the time of ordering to protect the finish as it is easier to touch up than a gouge in the bare finish. Dave N.

Smiley
01-17-2004, 08:51 AM
Now that your onboard with DKS stays , if M_A , myself and you place deposits with Serotta for 3 new road bikes do you think they will succumb and build us thees rigs? Anyone else want to place a deposit down on one?

weisan
01-17-2004, 08:55 AM
dnovo,

What a beautiful bike you've got!
Always wanted a cross bike - the idea of fusing the ruggedness of a mtb and the graceful speed of a road bike is simply irresistible!

Very interesting fork it has. Is that a Wound Up? No, wait a minute, that's a suspension fork, oh wow, even better!

Enjoy creating tire marks around your neighbor's frontyard!!

weisan

dnovo
01-17-2004, 09:03 AM
Wound Up Cross Fork, not a suspension fork. The cantilever brake bosses on the front make it look like a suspension fork in this small-sized photo. Dave N.

Dick Little
01-17-2004, 11:52 AM
One point of interest I missed when I took my photos last weekend. This Hors Cat Cross uses some fairly chunky tires (Michelin Cyclo-Cross Sprints, 1&5/8"-- which only come in green, hence the matching green panels which Brendan selected to match the tires.)

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the green Michelin cross tires are old stock, Michelin now only makes them in black. I don't even think they make the Sprint tire anymore, it's been replaced by the Jet. If you really want the bike to keep it's green color scheme, you might want to start shopping around and stock up on some of the older Michelin cross tires.

jerk
01-17-2004, 12:33 PM
or you might want to buy real cyclocross tire that comes in a normal width. those things are way to sluggish and fat and slow for cross.

Dick Little
01-17-2004, 12:45 PM
Buy "real" cyclocross tire, you mean a tubular, I guess. Most clinchers that come in narrower width than the Michelin's are simply too narrow and prone to flats.

M_A_Martin
01-17-2004, 02:03 PM
You must deliver the bike directly to Ginger in Detroit. (only if the top tube is say...a 50 or 51 tops, otherwise you can keep it)

dnovo
01-17-2004, 02:29 PM
With my back, I don't do 'real Cyclocross' and, like dbrk, I don't glue, so no tubies. These tires are in real good shape, as they are NOS and I have a couple spare sets. (And if I need new ones the Jets come in green too. See Michelin Cyclo Cross Jet S 700X30 Green/Black Tires at about twelve different sites on the Net.)

Of course these work just fine for the type of play on the fields and the trails I was planning on doing and did this morning and just came in from doing again. When they are gone, lots of other tires around or the Jets in green. No need to sell off the bike if the rubber needs to be replaced. Hell even if I was young and fit -- and I am neither -- with my back, I'd last about ten seconds in a 'Cross event. This is purely a go out and have some fun ride, not a comp bike.

And Ginger, my love, I will say this as gently as I can, yes it is a 51TT, but no, there is about as much chance of my giving it up as there is of Sandy becoming the next King of Saudi Arabia. Perhaps less. Dave N.

shinomaster
01-17-2004, 02:41 PM
rats..

this may actually be cooler than my cross bike..:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

M_A_Martin
01-17-2004, 03:17 PM
Good thing you put the disclaimer on, because the whole Sandy as King of Sandi Arabia is do-able. I'm in Detroit after all, got connections in Dearborn. I'm sure something could be worked out if that's what you really want.

:)

If you ever EVER decide to re-home it, keep me in mind Dave. The TT is probably still a little long for me. Will know more about that early next month when I actually get to the point where my fitter is comfortable putting me on the size cycle.

Dick Little
01-17-2004, 03:19 PM
I don't disagree that you can still get them, but I'm pretty sure that Michelin doesn't make them anymore in that color. And yes, gluing sucks!!!

dnovo
01-17-2004, 05:58 PM
You are correct, Dick, they aren't making the green models anymore. Just black. The green Sprints, and even the later and current (?) Jets are all discontinued item available on closeout only. But as my wife reminds me that the first word my now 22 year daughter learned to read was "Sale," there is a silver lining to this particular cloud as well.

But it figures that as soon as I buy something that looks best with a particular tire, they discontinue them in 'my' color. Now, if you remember the multi-color Landshark I posted some months back, 'my' color in that would be too disgusting to merchandise anyhow, so no need to worry about that being discontinued.

Supposed to be 0 or a bit below tomorrow morning. Wonder if I should be 'a man' or pull a Sandy and stay inside and ride the trainer? Dave N.

Sandy
01-19-2004, 05:26 AM
Be a MAN, dnovo, and ride outside, while I come inside and ride around the living room on some of those beautiful critters you own.

Staying warm and happy,

STill Shivering STill Shaking STill Sniveling STill Serotta Sandy

Stewball
01-20-2004, 12:38 AM
I never thought of getting another bike but, this little baby might just put me on the "we want the DKS back" team. This thing is cool; no wonder the inventor has one on his wall. What a great ride for the lousy terrain out here!
Seriously Dave, congratulations on a beautiful, purposeful and fun bike.
This has me thinkin, wonder how the the Ottrott would be with the stiffest specifications and a DKS rear. Na, three DKS bikes, who would do that...

Have fun,
A. J.

Balf
01-20-2004, 07:06 AM
really nice. As its raining and I need to run an errand you have inspired me to slap the wheels on my Alan TopCross and go for a little spin through South London. I will be racing on it for the first time Sunday but fear for my poor back. Would that I had forgiving stays instead of scary looking I-might-break-at-any-time bonded aluminium.

Bad picture attached but it does illustrate that Michelin do, in Europe at least, a green mud tire though I note that the dry cross tire is indeed black.

Redturbo
01-20-2004, 07:50 AM
Screwed and glued, cool. Hows the ride?

turbo

Balf
01-20-2004, 08:36 AM
not bad. I need to make some adjustments though as the fit isn't perfect and it's so light that I get thrown around a bit on the rough stuff. My first race on it Sunday will be the acid test.

weisan
09-07-2006, 12:01 PM
Picked it up last night, after we changed the stem and seatpost to adjust the fit for me. It snowed a bit last night, and I was out and about on it early this morning. What a blast!!!! Dave N.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=164&stc=1
Bringin' up an O' thread cos' I missed dnovo-pal...and we are getting closer to the start of cyclocross season. What a neat-lookin' cross-bike.

weisan

Serpico
09-07-2006, 12:43 PM
yo weisan

PBWrench
09-07-2006, 01:33 PM
Weisan-pal - this thread made me all nostalgic as well. Won't make it to Livestrong ride this year -- hope to visit Austin again soon!

Serotta PETE
09-07-2006, 01:35 PM
I miss Mr. DNOVO also.....

MartyE
09-08-2006, 08:22 AM
damn, I thought Dave was back and rebuilding
his stable of rides. . .

bostondrunk
09-08-2006, 09:15 AM
Sandy and Kevan scared him away.

:p

Matt Barkley
09-08-2006, 01:47 PM
dnove,
Sweet ride! - something about Serottas and their painters' abilities to produce amazing shades of green. Smiley and I are both happy the hors followed you home. :beer: - Matt Barkley