PDA

View Full Version : A rush on TREK Madone's

Smiley
07-25-2009, 02:18 PM
The Lance effect, how happy are the folks in Waterloo today. The good old days are back :)

So were you the un lucky soul that bought a 1-2 year old Madone. Lance and Contador won using SRAM and how do they feel today too :banana:

tmessenger
07-25-2009, 03:05 PM
I road a RAGBRAI leg yesterday (ride across Iowa) something like 10,000 registered riders + the pirates. Trek was the dominate brand by a good shot from what I could see, they must be doing something right.

Marcusaurelius
07-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Trek (and it's partners) have been dominating racing locally here for many years. There was a time when Serotta and Marinoni were very common but now Trek is very popular and has been for several years. Of course winning 7 tours and making a good bike but they also sponsor a lot of riders.

Michael Maddox
07-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Still......YAWN.

OtayBW
07-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Just wait to see how many capacitors are sold next year!!! :D

allegretto
07-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Trek? huh?

oohh, you mean a BONTRAGER

Jason E
07-25-2009, 05:11 PM
No time to read, I gotta go get mine. :rolleyes:

Hey, if it sells bikes and that helps bring awareness to us when we are out there riding, I'll take it.

I think they did a lot of neat stuff on this latest iteration. I think the sensor in the chainstay is a neat touch, the routing of the cables is neat, and I think the sculpting of the Headtube is sharp looking. They are nice bikes, even if they are not for everyone here.

Maddox' comment, "Yawn.", was what I'd expect from some people with bikes like his. I saw your bike, the Argonaut, that is very hot. Hot enough to drive me to their website.

But I did go to the Trek site after seeing the new Madone on Cyclingnews.

rnhood
07-25-2009, 05:14 PM
I like the new Madone too, but those "unlucky" souls that purchased one a year or two ago are really not so unlucky because these are still excellent bikes and better performing than many of today's carbon bikes...and probably all steel bikes.

Michael Maddox
07-25-2009, 07:23 PM
No time to read, I gotta go get mine. :rolleyes:

Hey, if it sells bikes and that helps bring awareness to us when we are out there riding, I'll take it.

I think they did a lot of neat stuff on this latest iteration. I think the sensor in the chainstay is a neat touch, the routing of the cables is neat, and I think the sculpting of the Headtube is sharp looking. They are nice bikes, even if they are not for everyone here.

Maddox' comment, "Yawn.", was what I'd expect from some people with bikes like his. I saw your bike, the Argonaut, that is very hot. Hot enough to drive me to their website.

But I did go to the Trek site after seeing the new Madone on Cyclingnews.

Thanks for the props!

I must admit, I was TOTALLY trolling.

johnnymossville
07-25-2009, 07:30 PM
The new Madone's are great riding bikes. I've ridden them and think they compare favorably to anything in Pro Racing today, especially if all day comfort is what you want.

Nice bikes.

cmg
07-25-2009, 10:03 PM
of course leading the peleton with all of Astana didn't hurt. For those customers that watched it on Versus.

jbrainin
07-25-2009, 10:10 PM
I rode the Étape du Tour on Monday and there were a huge number of Treks among the 9500 bikes at the event. I also saw at least nine Serottas, mostly Legends and Ottrotts.

don compton
07-25-2009, 10:15 PM
I road a RAGBRAI leg yesterday (ride across Iowa) something like 10,000 registered riders + the pirates. Trek was the dominate brand by a good shot from what I could see, they must be doing something right.
i have ridden numerous century rides this year in california, and i hardly ever see a new trek, but specialized bikes are everywhere. in california, specialized has kicked trek's ass.

Lifelover
07-25-2009, 10:20 PM
I would love one!

konstantkarma
07-25-2009, 10:28 PM
I like the new Madone too, but those "unlucky" souls that purchased one a year or two ago are really not so unlucky because these are still excellent bikes and better performing than many of today's carbon bikes...and probably all steel bikes.

Uh oh, you better watch that blasphemy around here :no: .

ty-ro
07-25-2009, 11:37 PM
I know people love to dog on them, but they must be good performing bikes. I mean, if they were THAT bad, do you think Bert and LA would be as successful on them? I've never owned a Trek, but I wouldn't mind having a new Madone.

Jason E
07-26-2009, 09:02 AM
I think it'll irk purists, but they [Trek] are nearly at a point where they can say they've won 10% of all Tour de France's (9.47%) and 14% of the modern era. :)

Smiley
07-26-2009, 09:16 AM
I think it'll irk purists, but they [Trek] are nearly at a point where they can say they've won 10% of all Tour de France's (9.47%) and 14% of the modern era. :)

Scary how many teams were riding American Branded bikes in this years tour. C-Dales, Specialized, Trek, Felt and Scott. That's a huge number of American branded bikes.

prolearts
07-26-2009, 09:25 AM
Scary how many teams were riding American Branded bikes in this years tour. C-Dales, Specialized, Trek, Felt and Scott. That's a huge number of American branded bikes.

That's just a function of advertising budgets though, isn't it? "Who wants to pony up for Team X?" I wonder what would happen if the riders voted for what to ride?!

Jason E
07-26-2009, 09:40 AM
That's just a function of advertising budgets though, isn't it? "Who wants to pony up for Team X?" I wonder what would happen if the riders voted for what to ride?!

Funny you should say that. During the transport from Ventoux to the hotels last night we had that exact conversation. Fabian, Thor, LA, Cadel, and Bradley all voted for the same bike...

http://sprenzy.com/~chuck/11-20-2006/green-machine-2006-small.jpg

Steve-O
07-26-2009, 04:07 PM
I have been following this thread with great interest as there might be a new Trek in my future.

On July 3rd I was hit by a driver. The accident pretty much destroyed my custom Colombus XCR frame as well as breaking off a few SRAM components. The local shop parted out the bike and is creating a reciept for me to use for insurance purposes. For their help with the accident I will probably purchase my next bike from them. They handle Trek, Orbea, Giant, and Look.

This would be my first carbon frame. It would also be my first mass produced bike in a while. When looking over the geometry and specs I cannot help but to think that the new Madone might be the best fit for me.

From a technical aspect the Trek seems pretty amazing. It has all the latest features (oversized BB, oversized HS, sensor mounting in the chainstay, etc). The engineering side of my brain cannot fault it!

From an emotional side Trek would mean supporting a US based business. I feel good about that as well....

Why is Trek such a divisive brand? Is it more a Lance Armstrong issue? Bad paint jobs? Supporting a team run by sketchy Kazak businessmen?

What would a Giant or Look buy me that the Trek would not?

fourflys
07-26-2009, 04:16 PM
The problem with all the American branded bikes for me right now is NONE (that I know of) have the option of Campy.... Even Serotta doesn't offer a Campy build option. Having recently switched to Campy 11, I really, REALLY like it! :D I know I could buy a frame and build it up, but the pre-built packages usually save you quite a bit of $$$...

Chris

csm
07-26-2009, 04:18 PM
doesn't trek still have the project 1 thing? you can have it your way?

soulspinner
07-26-2009, 04:20 PM
The new Madone's are great riding bikes. I've ridden them and think they compare favorably to anything in Pro Racing today, especially if all day comfort is what you want.

Nice bikes.

Ive ridden them and while I wouldnt trade my Strong for one (geo) they handle fine and put the power down well for such a comfy ride.

fourflys
07-26-2009, 04:23 PM
doesn't trek still have the project 1 thing? you can have it your way?

I thought they only offered Shimano and Sram, but I could be wrong...

Smiley
07-26-2009, 04:24 PM

For my money the Look brand of frames in carbone is what I would buy if I could not buy a Serotta. No knock on Trek but Look knows how to build a Carbon frame.

soulspinner
07-26-2009, 04:31 PM
I thought they only offered Shimano and Sram, but I could be wrong...

Project 1 has a Campy option but its way expensive...

Jeff N.
07-26-2009, 05:10 PM
i have ridden numerous century rides this year in california, and i hardly ever see a new trek, but specialized bikes are everywhere. in california, specialized has kicked trek's ass.Absolutely. I see Cervelo's everywhere too. Jeff N.

Jeff N.
07-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Trek makes a very, very, very good product. It's just that...well...for the coin, I think one can do better. For me, it just boils down to that, plain and simple. Jeff N.

Pete Serotta
07-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, and Giant are in the upper echelon. But they are not inexpensive either for the good stuff.....

The 6.9 series and the Project 1 are really good product and marketing... Trek like everyone else has had a difficult year in the upper end.

Yeah I would rather have a Serotta but that 6.9 is not too shabby. :)

Lifelover
07-26-2009, 08:08 PM
I have been following this thread with great interest as there might be a new Trek in my future.

On July 3rd I was hit by a driver. The accident pretty much destroyed my custom Colombus XCR frame as well as breaking off a few SRAM components. The local shop parted out the bike and is creating a reciept for me to use for insurance purposes. For their help with the accident I will probably purchase my next bike from them. They handle Trek, Orbea, Giant, and Look.

This would be my first carbon frame. It would also be my first mass produced bike in a while. When looking over the geometry and specs I cannot help but to think that the new Madone might be the best fit for me.

From a technical aspect the Trek seems pretty amazing. It has all the latest features (oversized BB, oversized HS, sensor mounting in the chainstay, etc). The engineering side of my brain cannot fault it!

From an emotional side Trek would mean supporting a US based business. I feel good about that as well....

Why is Trek such a divisive brand? Is it more a Lance Armstrong issue? Bad paint jobs? Supporting a team run by sketchy Kazak businessmen?

It's an anti establishment thing. The effin elitist within the cycling community have to prop their own decisions by bashing the masses.

zap
07-26-2009, 08:37 PM

Scott swiss no.

soupless
07-26-2009, 08:38 PM
It's an anti establishment thing. The effin elitist within the cycling community have to prop their own decisions by bashing the masses.

You're right. It's like when you get a Trek you're afraid you're kind of selling out as a cyclist. They've kind of always been a bit of a conservative brand, and for a while there they were bordering on stodgy.

But, that's all really changed in the last few years. The new Madone is pretty slick and the paint options are killer. Also, it's a sweet bike. I got over my insecurities after about three pedal strokes.

Isn't it the ultimate in anti-establishment thought to disregard the perception of a product and judge it based on its merits alone?

itsalldark
07-26-2009, 09:52 PM
Looks like a Cannondale or Obea knockoff to me. Trek IMHO is a Chevy. Mass produced and no imagination. Look what happened to GM. Take a look at one of there concept stores and tell me it's not GM

Ti Designs
07-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Wait a second - now it's about the bike???

Lifelover
07-26-2009, 10:58 PM
Wait a second - now it's about the bike???

Not at all. That's kinda the point. When it comes to the forum's feelings towards brands like Trek or R. Sachs, it really isn't about the bike.

It's perception.

roguedog
07-26-2009, 11:16 PM
When I first started cycling, I went (like everyone else in the world) to a local Trek shop. The owner was so thorough. He spent a long time getting my fit and then sending me out on his Trek bikes.

After going to numerous other shops where if you didn't profess to be a pro or on the racing circuit or more accurately, be willing to drop loads of dough, they'd barely speak to you, this guys patience and care was refreshing.

I went on out several Trek bikes and I really, really wanted to buy from this guy but the bikes didn't call to me. I learned the meaning of "dead wood" carbon. Granted I wasn't testing Madone's and maybe they're different and maybe they've changed .. but at least for me, they just didn't call to me even though I"d have loved to drop some cash on this most earnest of salesman.

I dunno.. I'm not sure Trek's are Chevy's. I think they're more like Starbucks coffee. It's decent stuff. They're consistent in quality for the most part.. but don't expect the local cafe type of coffee where they brew a batch every week and know the growers personally. It's just not their niche...

Trek dealers, at least the ones near me, are pretty consistent with decent wrenches and sales folks whereas the Specialized shops are more hit n miss. I just realized this.. The local shops I go to seem to carry Treks. I seem to avoid the Specialized shops.. not cuz of the brand but because the service just hasn't been there for me. I didn't even see that pattern until this moment... And I'm in "Specialized country" too.

Fivethumbs
07-26-2009, 11:26 PM
I wouldn't mind riding a Trek at all. They've been making carbon bikes since the mid nineties so I'm sure they know what they're doing. Most of the complaints I have heard are the, "Treks are everywhere" variety. Doesn't bother me. I don't buy/ride a bike based on what other cyclists think. It's what I like that matters.

csm
07-27-2009, 12:12 AM
Looks like a Cannondale or Obea knockoff to me. Trek IMHO is a Chevy. Mass produced and no imagination. Look what happened to GM. Take a look at one of there concept stores and tell me it's not GM
seriously? a knockoff? cannondale is the original knockoff. basically an oldschool klein.... in a way they aped trek as klein is a trek brand... which sorta makes trek the gm of bikes..... oh my head hurts

-dustin
07-27-2009, 12:44 AM
diggin' the new Madones. Even more than that SL3 SL that I consider to be the best looking Speccy bike in a long, long time.

Regardless, the BH G4(G5) rides better than both.

sjbraun
07-27-2009, 07:55 AM
Looks like Trek will produce some very nice bikes on 2010 under the Fisher label.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/tech-feature-gary-fisher-road-launch

I saw half a dozen new Madones on my ride yesterday.

So even if what they do isn't working for forum members, they're pleasing a lot of cyclists. I spent a day on a Trek 5500 a few years back. It rode very nicely.

As to the Trek-GM analogy, I think Trek has better designers and engineers, not to mention the cheese-fed workforce.

dd74
07-27-2009, 11:33 AM
I really think that no one can go wrong with a Trek similar to what Astana rode. If it's good enough for them, then it should be good enough for the ROW (rest of world).

But that could be said for almost any bike in the pro peloton. Imagine the stresses a bike ridden by Cavendish must go through. If it can last with a cyclist like him, then it must be a good machine.

jvp
07-27-2009, 12:09 PM
My main problem with Trek is their pricing, they seem to add a surcharge to all their models because they are Treks.

SPOKE
07-27-2009, 08:09 PM

I agree the the Trek's from the past 2 years to present are nice bikes that perform very well but.......it really depends on "your" idea of performance.
for me i still perfer the ride of several of my custom steel bikes over the carbon ones but ride quality is just one aspect of performance.

-dustin
07-27-2009, 08:44 PM
BH's G5 came by the shop today. Surprised to hear that retail on it is less than retail on the Madone 6.9. Trek is proud of those things...damn.

itsalldark
07-27-2009, 10:42 PM
[QUOTE=csm]seriously? a knockoff? cannondale is the original knockoff. basically an oldschool klein.... in a way they aped trek as klein is a trek brand... which sorta makes trek the gm of bikes..... oh my head hurts[

CSM, are you drinking the Trek cool-aid????????

tylercheung
07-27-2009, 10:56 PM
it was the rivets and pin up girl they painted on cav's scott that was the secret. can't go fast unless you have a pin up girl, you know.

I Want Sachs?
07-27-2009, 11:05 PM
My main problem with Trek is their pricing, they seem to add a surcharge to all their models because they are Treks.

Anyone has problem with Serotta price? Our gracious host certainly produces excellent bikes and can charge enough to make sure the people at Serotta are happy riders. I have no problem with that. Trek should be able to do the same, especially when they spend so much money to develop cycling in US.

Matthew
07-27-2009, 11:45 PM
I have been very happy with my Madone. I love the way it rides and ride it as much as my Serotta Concours. To me both are great bikes, different but both very nice. I won't part with either one.

dd74
07-28-2009, 02:44 AM
The real question for me - if I was in the carbon market - would be how a Trek Madone compares to a ready custom Serotta HSG?

Has anyone had the pleasure of trying both?

csm
07-28-2009, 10:48 AM
[QUOTE=csm]seriously? a knockoff? cannondale is the original knockoff. basically an oldschool klein.... in a way they aped trek as klein is a trek brand... which sorta makes trek the gm of bikes..... oh my head hurts[

CSM, are you drinking the Trek cool-aid????????
not entirely. the Madone is a nice bike acrossed the line. I have the luxury (I guess) of riding a ti legend. I'd love to see some enterprising prankster put Colnago or Pinarello or something on the bike and see what everyone would say then. Personally, I find some of Trek's paint schemes hideous but then I see one of the guady Pinarellos with the (to me) idiotic reverse-bent forks and rear triangle and just laugh. imagine Eddy Murphy in the Beverly Hills Cop movie when he walked by the twins in red leather outfits..... that is about my reaction. I almost bought a Madone last summer 'cuz they were cheap. I work in a trek bike shop partime... longest part/fulltime gig I've ever had in fact. started at 15 and am now over 40 so I've seen the evolution of their bikes. I loved the steel frames of yesteryear that they crafted. everyone seems to forget about those. not sure why brand x's bike coming in at a lower price point than Trek is relevant. I would guess the madone is a little pricey due to the fact that it is made in Wisconsin vs the far east. not saying the quality is any better or worse due to that just sayin that the costs are different. I've never had a bad experience with Trek as far as warranties, etc go from a shop standpoint. and let's face it, it's easy to dump on them because they are so prominent. to me, if the bike fits ride it. if you like it ride it.

Bob Ross
07-29-2009, 12:46 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing just this past Sunday (final day of '09 TdF) when I pulled up to the usual weekend coffee shop/cyclist hangout and saw four Madones parked in front. I mean, Trek's are pretty ubiquitous around here, but this was ridiculous.

paulrad9
07-29-2009, 01:24 PM
I mean, Trek's are pretty ubiquitous around here, but this was ridiculous.

It's not a bad thing is it? Assuming you're referring to 5.5s and 6.5s - they're good riding bikes, look good and contribute to the local economy.

soupless
07-29-2009, 10:59 PM
Trek isn't Chevy. It's Ford, and the Madone is their GT40.

Bob Ross
07-31-2009, 11:10 AM
It's not a bad thing is it? Assuming you're referring to 5.5s and 6.5s - they're good riding bikes, look good and contribute to the local economy.

Not "bad", just...I dunno, "plebeian" perhaps. It was specifically because these were all the higher-end Madones -- and because they all looked in mint condition -- that I took notice and thought perhaps there was some connection to Tour de France-itis.