PDA

View Full Version : Not another saddle question

Neves
01-26-2005, 12:34 PM
Hello people...

I writing this to the think tank, hoping you will be able to help me. My situation is as follows.

I currently looking for a new saddle. For the last 2 - 3 years I have been having this excrutating pain in my groin or perineal area. Now when I say excrutating, it's like a blinding pain were I almost have to stop what I'm doing. It mostly shows up doing my cycling season were I start to pick up more miles. I don't think it's the same numbing problems that others have mention and frankly I don't ever recall having that problem.

So with that I'm bringing my problem to you with hopes of findind a sollution. A little back ground about me. I am no flyweight, right now I'm in the mid 180's and I'm about 6'. I would love to say I'm all muscle but that would be a lie. I don't consider myself fat either, just a few extra pounds hanging on. Anyway the saddle I'm currently using is the Selle Italia SLR Gel FlowBlack (with the cut out) my old saddle was the Selle Italia Flite Genuine Gel. At this point in the game I don't think the SLR has enough surface area for my mid-size body and is placing to much pressure in one central location. Again when I bring it up to other people they say they've never incountered my problem.

With that I'm looking to replace my existing saddle. I was looking at the Fizik Aliante which is a little wider than my current saddle. I was also looking at their Arione, but it's not as wide as the Aliante and from what I been told is harder also. I'm also thinking of the Brooks Swift also. I would love to purchase the Swallow, but that's a jagget little pill for me right now. In addition to these I've been considering the Selle Italia Signo Gel Flow (has anyone used this saddle) this seems the best of both worlds. It's a little wider plus has the cut-out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...Thanks Larry

BumbleBeeDave
01-26-2005, 12:40 PM
If the pain is "excruciating" as you say, have you considered there may be an underlying medical problem here? I heard of one pro who actually had to retire before he found out that he had an obstructed vein leading to his leg. A hernia could also be a possibility.

I'm not a doctor, but if it's been going on this long and with a variety of saddles, then a visit to the doc may be in order. But if you do, be wary of any doc whose solution to the problem is simply to tell you to stop cycling.

If that is not an option, consider one of the really wide and padded saddles that go on hybrids--dorky looking, I know, but lots more padding. Or try an add-on gel saddle pad. Or try riding with two pairs of shorts, therefore two pads. I had to do that for a while several years ago when I lost a lot of weight--which removed a lot of the "natural" padding.

BBDave

dirtdigger88
01-26-2005, 12:42 PM
I can tell you that I just got my Arione on my bike a couple of weeks ago and I am impressed. I was a long time Flite user (like 10 or 11 years) I had no intentions of changing saddles until I test rode a Cannondale with an Arione- I ordered that saddle that same day. There is lots of room to move around on and the saddle supports my weight just fine. (I'm your height and upper 190's) The saddle is completly different from a flite- it is very flat- but I am liking it alot-

jason

BarryG
01-26-2005, 01:00 PM
I was looking at the Fizik Aliante which is a little wider than my current saddle.

Don't mean to hijack the thread or anything, but if anyone has other suggestions for a wide saddle, please chime in.

The Aliante doesn't seem that wide at 138mm. The Fizik CP Vitesse is 154mm wide and the Avocet Men's (my current perch) is 160mm.

Neves, I think that any pain that is "blinding" should get checked out by an MD.

Dave
01-26-2005, 01:25 PM
After trying a couple of those ultra light saddles, I switched to the Fizik Gobi last year. It's the most comfortable I've found in many years.

Unlike a great many saddles that are pretty flat across the top, the Gobi is quite rounded side to side and curved from front to back. When I first installed it, I eyeballed the nose area to be level and quickly found that the nose needed to be raised to create a cradle somewhere near the middle. With a level placed on the kicked-up tail, the saddle felt good with the nose about 1cm lower than the tail.

Unfortunately, saddle needs vary so much that the only way to know if one works is to buy it and try it.

OldDog
01-26-2005, 02:03 PM
The scrotum has numerous veins throughout. These veins can become blocked with age, as early as the early 30's, and when so the testicles are very painful, especially so when agitated as when cycling. Sex will be extra painful, as blood is being diverted to this area and is blocked by the clogged veins creating further pressure. Diagnosis is with ultrasound. Correction is by surgery, a cut is made in the belly/groin and the affected veins are tied off from the blood supply. No other side effects as a result.

Don't mess around trying saddles, see your doctor and have him refer you to a urologist right away, as there may be other causes. Ask Lance.

Max77
01-26-2005, 02:07 PM
I used the Fizik Aliante last season, and had the numbness problem with it. I have switch to the Terry Fly, which works very well for me. I am a large rider, 192 lbs., and I ride double centuries. The doctor visited is a good suggestion. Good luck.

gasman
01-26-2005, 02:18 PM
Neves-
Before trying to find the solution through another saddle you should have an evaluation by an MD. The pain is not normal no matter how many miles you are riding, numbness is common but pain is not. You may need to go to an urologist, a surgeon or an urologist.
Good luck.

Neves
01-26-2005, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I will talk to my doc. and go from there, but I need to replace the saddle on my new bike so I will keep searching got that needle out there.

To be honest I never considered a pinched nerve, that's definately not what I wanted to hear.

I think I will try the Selle Italia Signo. It's 141mm wide with what looks like a flatter top section.:crap:

musgravecycles
01-26-2005, 03:53 PM
I would recommend visiting a urologist first. As far as saddles go, the most comfortable saddles in the world are the Brooks. They make the 'narrow' racing Swift and Swallow, and they have a B-17 with Titanium rails now which has a bit wider perch. I was a flite user on the race bike for about 7 years, and last year switched to the Arione which as afore mentioned is pretty flat. I'd like to try the Aliante is very curvy and much like the old 'classic' saddles. The Brooks are the most comfortable for the majority of the population if you can put up with the ribbing from your cycing buddies. Again number one advice is to first visit your Doctor.

Eric E
01-26-2005, 03:53 PM
Certainly see a doctor if the pain occurs when you are not cycling. If it only occurs while cycling, maybe this will help.

I experienced sharp pelvic pain when I tried a Sella Italia Trans Am saddle with a cutout a few years ago. The saddle was great for the first 10 miles, and then it really started to hurt. I may be wrong, but I figured that the pain was caused by the sloping sides of the saddle attempting to split my pelvis. Anyway, I replaced it with a steel railed Koobi saddle, whose wide/flat rear and narrow middle has been my ticket to comfort...

Eric

MartyE
01-26-2005, 03:58 PM
Agree with all of the above about MD, Urologists etc.
If you are thinking of a brooks, and you aren't a racer or
a racerboy wannabe, I'd suggest the b-17. Its a bit wider than
the pro or swift.
They can be had on e-buy for cheap, or call Wallingford bikes
and talk to Bill Laine, he offers a 6 month money back guarantee,
can't ask for much more than that.

Marty

dirtdigger88
01-26-2005, 04:05 PM
turn you head an cough ;)

jason

93legendti
01-26-2005, 04:24 PM
Hello people...

I writing this to the think tank, hoping you will be able to help me. My situation is as follows.

I currently looking for a new saddle. For the last 2 - 3 years I have been having this excrutating pain in my groin or perineal area. Now when I say excrutating, it's like a blinding pain were I almost have to stop what I'm doing. It mostly shows up doing my cycling season were I start to pick up more miles. I don't think it's the same numbing problems that others have mention and frankly I don't ever recall having that problem.

So with that I'm bringing my problem to you with hopes of findind a sollution. A little back ground about me. I am no flyweight, right now I'm in the mid 180's and I'm about 6'. I would love to say I'm all muscle but that would be a lie. I don't consider myself fat either, just a few extra pounds hanging on. Anyway the saddle I'm currently using is the Selle Italia SLR Gel FlowBlack (with the cut out) my old saddle was the Selle Italia Flite Genuine Gel. At this point in the game I don't think the SLR has enough surface area for my mid-size body and is placing to much pressure in one central location. Again when I bring it up to other people they say they've never incountered my problem.

With that I'm looking to replace my existing saddle. I was looking at the Fizik Aliante which is a little wider than my current saddle. I was also looking at their Arione, but it's not as wide as the Aliante and from what I been told is harder also. I'm also thinking of the Brooks Swift also. I would love to purchase the Swallow, but that's a jagget little pill for me right now. In addition to these I've been considering the Selle Italia Signo Gel Flow (has anyone used this saddle) this seems the best of both worlds. It's a little wider plus has the cut-out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...Thanks Larry

Regardless of the saddle shape issue, two other things to consider are:
1) How old is your saddle? I replace saddles at least every 2 years, because they do wear out.
2) How old are your cycling shorts? The padding in your shorts may also have worn out.

Good luck. Never had issues myself, but my wife had a heck of a time finding a comfortable saddle.

Dekonick
01-26-2005, 05:04 PM
first - GO see your doc - ASAP!

Is it Cancer? Hernia? Pinched nerve? Thrombus? - or just a butt telling you to buy a B-17??

Does it happen when you take -ahem- a dump?

Any blood in yer stools?

there are too many possible causes that can have a really bad outcome that I strongly 'urge' you to go see your urologist.

Again - Brooks baby! Comfy as all get out. :butt:

RichMc
01-26-2005, 06:35 PM
Not meaning anything other than to just ask; How much tilt angle are you using? Maybe adjust the nose a little more down? Maybe you've already thought of that and that's not the problem at all. I switched from the super comfy Aliente to the pretty comfy Arione because I would slide forward on the Aliente. Even the Arione would cause some discomfort in the peritineal area until I got the right angle for me.

93legendti
01-26-2005, 11:08 PM
Not meaning anything other than to just ask; How much tilt angle are you using? Maybe adjust the nose a little more down? Maybe you've already thought of that and that's not the problem at all. I switched from the super comfy Aliente to the pretty comfy Arione because I would slide forward on the Aliente. Even the Arione would cause some discomfort in the peritineal area until I got the right angle for me.

Very good point.

Ahneida Ride
01-27-2005, 10:45 AM
First,

Go see Dr. Two Fingers and get checked out.

Second.

Get a Brooks. After 800 miles on my nice padded seat, I had one option.
Find a comfortable seat or quit riding. I tried numerous seats, only the
Brooks worked.

Try a B67 or B17. www.walbike.com has a 6 monthe return policy.
You can't loose.

Neves
01-27-2005, 01:01 PM
Thanks again guys...I talked to my doc and he's going to talked to some of his friends about my problem. If he doesn't have any suggestions I will go further. Someone asked what angle I'm currently running my saddle at, I it's pretty much level with the ground.

Does it happen when you take -ahem- a dump? - nope, no problems with that

Any blood in yer stools? - not that I've noticed

Ahneida Ride - that Walbike site's pretty cool. There's a guy at a shop who is praising his Brook's and I'm thinking of it, but I was looking at the Swift not the B17.

Besides the width of the nose of saddle what is the difference between the two...

Again thanks

BumbleBeeDave
01-27-2005, 01:16 PM
<< . . . he's going to talk to some of his friends . . . >>

These "friends" ARE other doctors, right? Not just whoever is hanging around the pro shop at the local country club? ;)

Seriously, getting it checked out is the right thing to do. And you could easily have blood in your stool and not notice it. That's not to say, of course, that I closely inspect a lot of it or anything, and--oh, never mind! :rolleyes:

BBDave

bags27
01-27-2005, 01:34 PM
I ride only B-17s, which, regardless of what people say, has a break in period (longer in cold weather, shorter in warm weather). I just got an Fizik Arione for my indoor bike, which, because of the weather in Rhode Island, I've ridden quite a bit the past month. I like it a lot, though don't know if it would equal Brooks comfort for rides longer than 3 or 4 hours. Each Brooks model offers different comfort, and you might want to start with a B-17 (returnable within 6 months as Ahmeida notes, at http://www.wallbike.com/). You can cut off some of the leather (butchering, it's called) or tie it underneath, to make it more resemble a Swallow. I think these are shown on the wallingford website.

Probably at the beginning, you'll have to keep the nose slightly raised (to prevent you from sliding forward) while the hammock groves get formed. This might actually increase your pain. After the hammock is formed (anywhere from 100-500 miles) gradually lower the nose so it is level or even lower than level. Brooks saddles need to be levelled carefully and from afar (usually with a straight edge) because the backs rise up and misled the eye. Talk to the guys at Wallingford about this and about maintenance. Rivendell or Peter White could also be helpful, though they don't have the same generous return policy on Brooks saddles.

Finally, sometimes the pain that you described can come about because your seat is just a bit too high, putting you back a smidge too much and forcing you to lean forward and to put too much pressure on those nerves. Sheldon Brown suggested that to me, and I'm passing on the advice.

Spinner
01-27-2005, 01:42 PM
this is a great saddle with a wide flat back. very comfortable on century plus rides. i have a regal on five of my bikes. they look cool too. btw, i'm 5' 11" at 185 lbs. :D

Dekonick
01-27-2005, 08:10 PM
all good saddle suggestions - but make sure you get checked... a small hernia...or worse... could go un diagnosed. Dont risk it! - as mentioned before...ask Lance.

Its probably just yer saddle but don;t take the chance. - oh, and get a brooks!!!

Seriously - get a brooks.

No - really! - get a B-17!

Try one!!! :D