PDA

View Full Version : Ride the Doppler

TimD
01-26-2005, 12:16 PM
Last week I enjoyed FierteTi52's "Today's Winter Adventure" and, again today, William's entertaining "Riding the Blizzard. So I carried my camera on Saturday, riding the calm just before the storm. You go when you can.

An hour @ fourteen degrees, done at a rather relaxed pace. Here's the result. The first two were taken on Claybrook Road in case any homies are wondering.

Roll them rollers, boys, 'cause you won't see the naked ground 'round here for a spell.

TimD

flydhest
01-26-2005, 12:22 PM
I miss playing hockey on a lake . . . :(

dirtdigger88
01-26-2005, 12:33 PM
great pix thanks

jason

RichMc
01-26-2005, 12:34 PM
True grit. My stocking cap is off to you for getting out in 14 degrees. But, at least, you got out. Man, that's cold out there.

Bruce K
01-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Tim;

That one with the bridge looks like a road I ride near Topsfield/Hamilton area.

What town is Claybrook Road in?

BK

TimD
01-26-2005, 01:01 PM
Hi Bruce,

The westernmost end is in Natick but most of Claybrook Road lies in Dover. The pic doesn't really do it justice.

The bridge is on Willow Street, also in Dover.

TimD

Bruce K
01-26-2005, 01:06 PM
Thanks, Tim. Pretty country out that way.

For our southern bretheren, it's snowing here again in the Boston area.

To add to the 32" in our driveway in Gloucester from the last storm, we are expecting another 8-10" today, tonight, and into tomorrow AM. :fight:

Parking, what parking? :crap:

BK

William
01-26-2005, 08:35 PM
Nice pics Tim. Images from a New England Cyclist. :)

40, 50, 60 degree riding? Horse pucky!! Come sink your teeth into this stuff to test your grit!!!

William ;) :D

FierteTi52
01-26-2005, 09:35 PM
Tim,
Great set of pictures! I really like the picture of the ice skaters and your bike. Things have changed since I posted my pictures, we have had 36" of snow on the ground in Buffalo. The bike is parked and I have switched over to snowshoeing.
Jeff

Marco
01-26-2005, 10:10 PM
Timd:

What size and type of tires did you ride for that winter snow adventure? Also, did you encounter ice on the rode? I find ice (and sub zero temps) to be the real deterrent to getting out in the winter.

Skrawny
01-26-2005, 11:38 PM
Nice pix!
-s

TimD
01-27-2005, 05:51 AM
Hi Marco, re:

What size and type of tires did you ride for that winter snow adventure? Also, did you encounter ice on the rode? I find ice (and sub zero temps) to be the real deterrent to getting out in the winter.

Mmm, no changes to the bike, tires are 700x23 slicks (Michelin Pro Race). I think you can see the road is dry - just salty. I doubt I'd start if the road were snow covered, although I have finished a couple of rides in the snow. A week before I'd encountered a major ice/slush patch at the bottom of a short descent which was proved pretty hairy to negotiate. I remember wishing I had the camera at that time. Anyway, there was no traffic on the road so I was able to find a way through the maze.

A colleague has been commuting on studded tires, I think you can get them through Peter White.

Get out there :)
TimD